Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Re: Dick Williams speaks

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't see any way Castellanos opts out.
    He was amazing early in the season, but the last 28 days, he's got an OPS of 680.
    Hopefully, it's just a slump and not a weakness that the league has found in his swing.
    I honestly have not been paying enough attention to notice, usually just have the games on as background noise now.
    Maybe someone else has been watching his swings closely and noticed a pattern.
    Castellanos normally a higher than average BABIP hitter, year after year. BABIP collapsed this year. With high K rate, bad thing. Hopefully just bad luck in a two month sample. Maybe defenses are catching up and he needs to readjust.

I’d like him back.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020),Tom Servo (09-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Castellanos normally a higher than average BABIP hitter, year after year. BABIP collapsed this year. With high K rate, bad thing. Hopefully just bad luck in a two month sample. Maybe defenses are catching up and he needs to readjust.

I’d like him back.
    Yeah, but if Castellanos is back next year, he's got to move to LF. I have been critical of Jesse Winker's defense in the past, but I'm convinced that he's better with the glove than Castellanos.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

SirFelixCat (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yeah, but if Castellanos is back next year, he's got to move to LF. I have been critical of Jesse Winker's defense in the past, but I'm convinced that he's better with the glove than Castellanos.
    I believe when Castellanos signed, he stated he only wanted to play RF. No LF or DH.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Hypothetically - Would improve overall team balance for Reds to trade Winker (should have value) for, or replace Cast with, an all around second baseman.

So only one of Wink/Cast in OF; Votto to full time DH; Moose to first; and new guy to second.

Kind of like the Joe Morgan trade, replace a hitter (Lee May) with an all around player (Morgan).

But it’s risky to trade one of your better hitters, and high level middle infielders are not that easy to obtain. I doubt this happens but it would be one possible way to add balance to the team.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2020 at 01:56 PM.

8. Likes:

757690 (09-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hypothetically - Would improve overall team balance for Reds to trade Winker (should have value) for, or replace Cast with, an all around second baseman.

So only one of Wink/Cast in OF; Votto to full time DH; Moose to first; and new guy to second.

Kind of like the Joe Morgan trade, replace a hitter (Lee May) with an all around player (Morgan).

But it’s risky to trade one of your better hitters, and high level middle infielders are not that easy to obtain. I doubt this happens but it would be one possible way to add balance to the team.
    If Cast opts out, I'd just take his money and make a play for George Springer. He's better defensively, and about the same offensively.

Joc Pederson also makes sense.

10. Likes:

757690 (09-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I believe when Castellanos signed, he stated he only wanted to play RF. No LF or DH.
    Yeah, I'm vaguely aware of that, but he's a special kind of awful in the field. Castellanos is the worst defensive outfielder I've ever seen in a Reds uniform, and that includes Jesse Winker, Adam Dunn, and Kal Daniels. (I never saw Alex Johnson play for the Reds.)

I can live with a bad LF, but a bad RF is a backbreaker to the pitching staff, because his errors often cost two extra bases.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 09-13-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-13-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020)

I hear players making demands like “I’ll only play RF” and I think, Would they have the stones to say that to an organization like the Yankees or Dodgers? Probably not.

14. Likes:

757690 (09-13-2020),bm1475 (09-13-2020),Crumbley (09-13-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-14-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I hear players making demands like “I’ll only play RF” and I think, Would they have the stones to say that to an organization like the Yankees or Dodgers? Probably not.
    Good point. Castellanos had difficulty signing this off season, and his demands were probably a big reason why. The Reds were the one team desperate enough to accept them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’ll give you LF, but the DH didn’t exist for 92% of the reds season for the 2020 season when he signed. Kind of a silly knock on him IMHO.

With that said: yeah it’s pretty lame he’s still saying it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Would they have the stones? Well, presumably their agent would be the one communicating that demand. But yes, I'm sure they would "have the stones" to communicate that demand.

Would the Yankees or Dodgers sign them given that demand? Probably not -- largely because they have the money and the interest from others to provide them better (or at least alternate) options than a DH who insists on only playing the field.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Would they have the stones? Well, presumably their agent would be the one communicating that demand. But yes, I'm sure they would "have the stones" to communicate that demand.

Would the Yankees or Dodgers sign them given that demand? Probably not -- largely because they have the money and the interest from others to provide them better (or at least alternate) options than a DH who insists on only playing the field.
    Look, if playing RF means he only gets a lowball offer from a pliable club like the Reds, then go off. Seems kind of unwise, but if that’s the hill he wants to die on....

What's he going to do? refuse to take the field?
    Go Gators!

21. Likes:

M2 (09-14-2020),mth123 (09-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What's he going to do? refuse to take the field?
    Remember Alfonso Soriano refusing to move to LF and Jim Bowden calling his bluff and telling him to retire if he doesn’t want to play? Not only did he play LF that year for Washington, he ended up in left for the rest of his career.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-15-2020),KronoRed (09-14-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020),SirFelixCat (09-14-2020)

Reds should tell Castellanos that for 2021, he's playing primarily in LF and DH. If he says I'm opting out, they can say good luck then. Guy hasn't hit (not to mention field) anywhere good enough to be making demands.

25. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-15-2020),Big Klu (09-13-2020),Falls City Beer (09-13-2020),fondfoat (09-15-2020),Mitri (09-14-2020),mth123 (09-13-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-13-2020),SirFelixCat (09-14-2020),Tom Servo (09-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Reds should tell Castellanos that for 2021, he's playing primarily in LF and DH. If he says I'm opting out, they can say good luck then. Guy has hit (not to mention fielding )nowhere good enough to be making demands.
    I agree. Any other halfway intelligent team—probably not the Reds—can find an .850 bat with crap defense.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?