Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Acquire Cionel Perez From Astros

Reds Acquire Cionel Perez From Astros

Reds Acquire Cionel Perez From Astros
    The Reds have acquired left-hander Cionel Perez in a trade with the Astros, as officially announced on the Reds’ Twitter feed. Houston will pick up minor league catcher Luke Berryhill in their end of the swap.

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (01-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Acquire Cionel Perez From Astros

Based on his brief major league splits and his main seasons at AA and AAA, one could conclude that Perez will be extremely effective against LHHs. For example he’s only allowed a .630 OPS against LHH in the majors. 2019 at AAA also small sample dominated LHH and in 2018 AA dominated all hitters. More of a challenge so far against RHH and with the three batter rule will need to improve against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Based on his brief major league splits and his main seasons at AA and AAA, one could conclude that Perez will be extremely effective against LHHs. For example he’s only allowed a .630 OPS against LHH in the majors. 2019 at AAA also small sample dominated LHH and in 2018 AA dominated all hitters. More of a challenge so far against RHH and with the three batter rule will need to improve against them.
    That was mostly as a starter, IIRC.

As a relief arm, his stuff should play up.

(This assumes they'll keep him in the pen.)

Great move for a cheap 2nd lefty in the pen. The hope is he'll be good enough against the occasional RHH to keep his spot.

The pitching staff could really use at least one established guy, either for the rotation or bullpen. Hopefully they're saving up for one big add (and SS, of course) but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Great move for a cheap 2nd lefty in the pen. The hope is he'll be good enough against the occasional RHH to keep his spot.

The pitching staff could really use at least one established guy, either for the rotation or bullpen. Hopefully they're saving up for one big add (and SS, of course) but I'm not holding my breath.
    I agree with you.

I suspect this will be the plan for the rest of the off-season in regards to the bullpen-- high upside arms with options remaining who can move back and forth to AAA.

That said, an acquisition of a MOR SP might allow Lorenzen to become the "one big add" in the pen as its closer, a set-up guy, or a tandem starter piggybacking with Miley.

9. Likes:

Mitri (01-24-2021),WrongVerb (01-24-2021)

Yeah. His major league numbers are hosed by a couple of long relief outings where the pen was clearly empty and he was told to go as long as he could in either extra innings or a blowout. Take out those games where he was clearly overexposed and he's a solid lefty for an inning and that's a decent pickup.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

11. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2021)

This is the best move of the off-season. I have the pen now as Sims, Garrett, Antone, C. Perez and ???? with a rotation of Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley and Lorenzen.

That leaves 4 spots up for grabs. Noe Ramirez probably has an inside track on one, Hector Perez possibly another. After them, I really struggle on who they should keep. They've been touting Deleon and he's out of options, so he's probably close to lock. Jeff hoffman would be another out of options guy who may be kept to keep from exposing him. The other pitchers on the 40 man roster all have options except for Sal Romano. At this point, I can't imagine a team taking Romano if he's sent through waivers. I still kind of like Romano as an innings eater, but I think he needs to start so he can sontinue to work on his pitches, but I doubt he's anything other than a reliever even in the minors. I think his best attribute is his ability to work deeper into a game and its lost in the bullpen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is the best move of the off-season. I have the pen now as Sims, Garrett, Antone, C. Perez and ???? with a rotation of Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley and Lorenzen.

That leaves 4 spots up for grabs. Noe Ramirez probably has an inside track on one, Hector Perez possibly another. After them, I really struggle on who they should keep. They've been touting Deleon and he's out of options, so he's probably close to lock. Jeff hoffman would be another out of options guy who may be kept to keep from exposing him. The other pitchers on the 40 man roster all have options except for Sal Romano. At this point, I can't imagine a team taking Romano if he's sent through waivers. I still kind of like Romano as an innings eater, but I think he needs to start so he can sontinue to work on his pitches, but I doubt he's anything other than a reliever even in the minors. I think his best attribute is his ability to work deeper into a game and its lost in the bullpen.
    Unless they really struggle in Spring Training, the Reds are likely to keep all the guys out of options first. Then, when they do struggle/ need a rest/ get injured, they can pluck an optionable AAA arm from Louisville. Assuming they're healthy and pitch even adequately, Romano, DeLeon, Hoffman, Biddle, Ramirez, Garrett, and Sims are safe. That leaves one spot for Antone.

Now, if one of them really struggles coming out of the gate (and it happens nearly every year), I suspect they'll be quick to make a change. But on Opening day, that's probably the bullpen.

The more germane questions, at least as it relates to Opening day, are:

Who among Hoffman, DeLeon, Lorenzen, or Antone become 5th starter? I suspect Lorenzen, but what happens if DeLeon lights it up, throws strikes, and is pitching like the prospect most of baseball thought he was in the LA organization?

Cincinnati is almost assuredly not done acquiring arms. What happens when they sign a pitcher to a major league contract? Who goes then? My guess is Romano, but I've been wrong for two years about that. What if they sign both a starter and a relief arm?

Where do you cuts begin?

My back of the napkin guess is:

1. Romano
    2. Biddle
    3. Hoffman
    4. DeLeon
    5. Sims
    6. Garrett

But I could totally be wrong.

guys get hurt and if guys don't get hurt they're a little rusty and the doc puts them on the dl to start the season. no need to worry just yet.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?