Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Giants 8/30/08

Re: Reds vs Giants 8/30/08

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He's not a bad baserunner generally. He could have been halted by the 3rd base coach for all we know.

the replay showed he stopped running about 10 feet from home. if he doesn't stop he more than likely scores in time.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Lincoln in line for the win.

Patterson's preventing whom exactly? His defense is far more valuable than some marginal AAA chaff getting ABs.

Rosales. People think Votto should play LF. Stick him in there if need be. Same for EE. If Hariston comes back, put him in there. Granted, he gives you superior defense but could Dickerson and the LF du jour do any worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Cordero throws a 1-2-3 9th. Reds win 7-6. It sucks Bray and Lincoln blew the win for Ramirez.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Rosales. People think Votto should play LF. Stick him in there if need be. Same for EE. If Hariston comes back, put him in there. Granted, he gives you superior defense but could Dickerson and the LF du jour do any worse?
    I say: if you can have an elite defensive outfield, take advantage of it. There will be time for tweeners like Rosales.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Is there no official scorer's discretion anymore on wins? The only guy who deserves to win is Ramirez; in a case like this, the scorer ought to be able to give him the win. Bray's lack of performance is no surprise to some of us. That 1.55 WHIP is just too high for a short reliever. I predict he'll be wearing another uniform next year. I don't think he'll fool Jocketty.

I say: if you can have an elite defensive outfield, take advantage of it. There will be time for tweeners like Rosales.
    he's made a few nice plays this year, but he's also made a few blunders out there (3 errors in less than 200 chances)...add in the pitiful bat (.200 ba and .230 obp) and poor baserunning 9 caught stealing out of 22 attempts) and i say he doesn't deserve any more playing time in a reds uniform.

What better time than now? You'd rather do it in ST or the beginning of the season?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Is there no official scorer's discretion anymore on wins? The only guy who deserves to win is Ramirez; in a case like this, the scorer ought to be able to give him the win. Bray's lack of performance is no surprise to some of us. That 1.55 WHIP is just too high for a short reliever. I predict he'll be wearing another uniform next year. I don't think he'll fool Jocketty.

Lincoln was the pitcher of record when the Reds went ahead. The only time an official scorer has discretion is if the starter doesn't go 5 and the team doesn't give up the lead.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Chip, Thanks for the clarification on the discretion matter. I didn't think it applied in a case like this but I wasn't aware of the precise kind of case in which it does. Seems to me something that would be worth considering changing. Tonight's a particularly egregious example of a completely unmerited win going to a reliever while a very deserving starter gets penalized.

What better time than now? You'd rather do it in ST or the beginning of the season?
    What matters is that the young pitchers don't struggle through unnecessarily long innings. That, and basically nothing else at this point.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    he's made a few nice plays this year, but he's also made a few blunders out there (3 errors in less than 200 chances)...add in the pitiful bat (.200 ba and .230 obp) and poor baserunning 9 caught stealing out of 22 attempts) and i say he doesn't deserve any more playing time in a reds uniform.
    Both metrics and the eye agree that Patterson is an elite CF.

What matters is that the young pitchers don't struggle through unnecessarily long innings. That, and basically nothing else at this point.

How does putting Dickerson in center and the soup of the day in LF turn our OF defense into a pile of crap? We had 4 months of Dunn and Jr in the corners. Whomever we put out there is better than Dunn/Jr./Bruce/Patterson/Freel/Hariston/Hopper. If we're so worried about defense, call up Janish and put him at SS and put a glove at 3rd.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

How does putting Dickerson in center and the soup of the day in LF turn our OF defense into a pile of crap? We had 4 months of Dunn and Jr in the corners. Whomever we put out there is better than Dunn/Jr./Bruce/Patterson/Freel/Hariston/Hopper. If we're so worried about defense, call up Janish and put him at SS and put a glove at 3rd.
    Whatever. Give it to Rosales. But understand that in doing so you're making the defense worse. And the offense little better.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Chip, Thanks for the clarification on the discretion matter. I didn't think it applied in a case like this but I wasn't aware of the precise kind of case in which it does. Seems to me something that would be worth considering changing. Tonight's a particularly egregious example of a completely unmerited win going to a reliever while a very deserving starter gets penalized.
    It's been like that as long as modern baseball has existed. I doubt they'll ever change it. And there is no way they could give it to anyone else anyway. The Giants tied it and that took Rameriz out of the decision.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?