Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Re: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    I've watched every inning of every game so far, and while he's looked a little clunky sometimes, he's mostly been fine, and has made some fantastic plays also. I don't think upgrading the defense at short with Garcia is going to make a big enough difference when you are downgrading the defense at both second and third while also replacing India in the lineup with Garcia. Especially after less than a month.
    We are seeing differently, literally. And while the numbers are only over 18 games, they back up what I see.

And these numbers are real, they represent what really happened. The problem with small sample sizes is that they may not be reflective of overall talent. But they really happened. Suarez has botched 6 more plays than the average SS would so far this year. That’s unacceptable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We are seeing differently, literally. And while the numbers are only over 18 games, they back up what I see.

And these numbers are real, they represent what really happened. The problem with small sample sizes is that they may not be reflective of overall talent. But they really happened. Suarez has botched 6 more plays than the average SS would so far this year. That’s unacceptable.
    And yet they are still 9-9, and with just a little luck in the last three games would be 11-7 or 12-6.

(And for the record, Didi Gregorius, is at -6 also)

My argument is that dumping Suarez from short, sending down India, and moving Moose back to second to make room for Garcia is a losing idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    And yet they are still 9-9, and with just a little luck in the last three games would be 11-7 or 12-6.

(And for the record, Didi Gregorius, is at -6 also)

My argument is that dumping Suarez from short, sending down India, and moving Moose back to second to make room for Garcia is a losing idea.
    I agree with you there. If he doesn’t hit his way out of it before moose is back, let him sit a game or two. Moving around everyone is counterproductive. This last series sucked. But the team isn’t that bad.

Just a terrible night at the plate tonight for Suarez.

I’ll will get pushback for this, but I think we need to start wondering what effect playing SS is having on Suarez’s offense.

I’ll will get pushback for this, but I think we need to start wondering what effect playing SS is having on Suarez’s offense.
    I think the biggest issue with Suarez is the following quote:

“My goal is to hit 50 home runs” - Eugenio Suarez (2020-21 offseason)
    What would you say.....ya do here?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’m guessing very little tbh. He just barely cracked the Mendoza line last year too.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’m guessing very little tbh. He just barely cracked the Mendoza line last year too.
    .781 OPS last year. .620 this year. And nearly a 40% K rate this year.

Somebody to tell Saurez that home runs do not = wins. Put him at the bottom of the lineup. Drop winker and Cast to 3-4 with Moose and Votto to follow, and get Senzel and India up at the top.

Suarez is at -6 DRS, which would translate to a -60 DRS over a full season. It’s hard to find a starting SS on a competitive team that was at -20 DRS. His poor defense yesterday played a part in the debacle.

He’s not hitting, and neither is India, who was a major reason for the move of Suarez to SS.

Personally, I think the Reds need consider moving Suarez back to 3B, Moose to 2B, ca l up Garcia and send India back down.
    Honestly, I am not sure what DRS is, but I remember the last post, Suarez was on pace for -50, and we were told it would get better. Seems like it is getting worse at -60. He is a major liablity at SS, that's for sure.
    The Reds pitched around his goof today, but it strains and already thin staff when Suarez gives the other team an extra out almost every day, or at least every other day (Not all his goofs are counted as errors)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I certainly can understand the concern ... but it's April, its 20 games, it's still early. Can't tell you how many established starters over the years hated Aprils! LOL

Can we show a little more patience? And I threw out the '20 season on every player. One stress-filled, terrible year for us all with the pandemic. It wsa so bad we couldn't allow fans in the stands ... but we could allow players on the field and in close contact? LOL It was what it was; but I'm not holding the abbreviated '20 season (60 games) against any player, regardless of what they did.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Somebody to tell Saurez that home runs do not = wins. Put him at the bottom of the lineup. Drop winker and Cast to 3-4 with Moose and Votto to follow, and get Senzel and India up at the top.
    Disagree. What's your justification for putting Senzel and India at the top of the batting order? There's absolutely nothing wrong with our 1-2 punch in Winker and Castellanos. Quite impressive, and that's not where the issue is my friend. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. While his performance in these early stages of the season is terrible batting #4. There are other issues in this batting order, and Mr Votto's slash line (batting 3rd) ain't nothing to brag about right now. That's not good for your #3-4 hitters after a solid 1-2 punch.

And we have to get Moose back in the lineup on a consistent basis first. Right now, maybe swap Suarez and Barnhart for a bit, take some pressure off. But I woudn't be jerking this lineup around too much at this early stage. Could make matters worse.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    I want my best hitters to get the most ABs. Winker and Cast are the best hitters

Suarez is at -6 DRS, which would translate to a -60 DRS over a full season. It’s hard to find a starting SS on a competitive team that was at -20 DRS. His poor defense yesterday played a part in the debacle.

He’s not hitting, and neither is India, who was a major reason for the move of Suarez to SS.

Personally, I think the Reds need consider moving Suarez back to 3B, Moose to 2B, call up Garcia and send India back down.
    You've gotta let go of this "pace" thing with the DRS. It is even counter to your own argument. Anyone with a -3 at this point in the season is "on pace" for -20 DRS. The following teams have a SS at -3 or worse:

LA Dodgers (1st Place)
    Milwaukee Brewers (1st Place)
    KC Royals (1st Place)
    Boston Red Sox (1st Place)
    Philadelphia Phillies (1st Place)
    Cincinnati Reds (Last Place despite the best run differential in the NL Central)

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-25-2021)

I don't think Suarez at SS is ideal, but the fact is the Reds simply don't have a better alternative. Even in a horrible slump, he's probably already provided more offense than any of the alternatives would provide all year long and while we long for the back-ups (just like the back-up quarterbacks are always a better idea until you actually see them play), I think Blandino would have similar defensive stats and while Farmer might be a slight improvement, he's a black hole that doesn't present the threat that Suarez does even in a slump. Garcia is an important part of the future. I don't hand him a job until he takes it. The reds have ruined a lot of guys by rushing them IMO. Garcia got his taste of the big leagues and showed he wasn't ready. Now, he needs to go down and show he can reach a higher level by being a dominate player in the minors first.

Also, Jonathon India has been the best defensive 2B they've had in a while (maybe Peraza was decent defensively out there or maybe we have to go all the way back to Brandon Phillips) and moving Moose back to 2B would be a significant defensive hit at two positions negating a lot of the defensive gains you'd get by moving Suarez off of SS.

Finally, these defensive stats mean nothing on April 24. At least one of Suarez errors is on Votto IMO and I think he'll still improve.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You've gotta let go of this "pace" thing with the DRS. It is even counter to your own argument. Anyone with a -3 at this point in the season is "on pace" for -20 DRS. The following teams have a SS at -3 or worse:

LA Dodgers (1st Place)
    Milwaukee Brewers (1st Place)
    KC Royals (1st Place)
    Boston Red Sox (1st Place)
    Philadelphia Phillies (1st Place)
    Cincinnati Reds (Last Place despite the best run differential in the NL Central)
    I’ve shown that -20 DRS at SS over a full season is workable for many teams. Going beyond that is where the trouble occurs.

I’m sorry, but there is a Grand Canyon between -20 DRS and -60 DRS. It’s like the difference between a .600 OPS and a .200 OPS. .600 OPS is bad for a MLB started, but many competitive teams have had guys with .600 OPS. It’s absurd to think any competitive team could have a starter with a .200 OPS. Similarly, it’s absurd to think that a team could be competitive with a SS with a -60 DRS.

Turn Off Ads?