Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning the Shift: not if, but how

Banning the Shift: not if, but how

From SI.com:
    "There’s remarkably little about defensive positioning in the Official Baseball Rules. It’s not just that there isn’t an exact rule about how many men must be on each side of second base, or about how deep an infielder can play, or about how many outfielders there must be—it’s that there isn’t even a rule saying that there must be infielders and outfielders in the first place. There’s a rule saying that there must be nine players. (The very first rule, actually Rule 1.01.) And that’s… it, pretty much. There’s a section titled Fielding Positions, but it only offers specifics about the battery. As for everyone else? “Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory.” That’s all."

So for those who advocate banning the shift, how do you propose to do so?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Banning the Shift: not if, but how

I hated the idea of banning the shift but have come around to it. Kind of a cop out answer but I would first take a look at the data from the minor and independent leagues to see what worked and what had unintended negative consequences. But if you told me I had to decide now, I would say:

All four infielders must stay off the outfield grass, and all 3 outfielders must stay on it.
    First baseman and third baseman can be no closer to second than half way
    Shortstop and 2nd baseman have to stay on their respective sides of second.
    If the rule is violated on a particular pitch and any out is recorded on that pitch, batter is given the option of restarting the plate appearance with a fresh count and all runners returning to their base; out reversed
    Stick to your guns.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Let the shift filter down to the high school ranks, allowing young hitters the chance to learn how to beat it, and beat it they will as the top players matriculate to the majors.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

pahster (04-23-2021),Phoenix2 (04-14-2021),RedRoser (04-16-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (04-16-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Let the shift filter down to the high school ranks, allowing young hitters the chance to learn how to beat it, and beat it they will as the top players matriculate to the majors.
    I’d rather not sit through another 10+ years of boring baseball waiting for guys who are teenagers right now to take over the majority of the league, if there even really is anything you can do to consistently beat the shift when major league pitchers constantly pound the inside of the plate with triple digit heat.

7. Likes:

bm1475 (04-14-2021),Crumbley (04-14-2021),NeilHamburger (04-15-2021),OGB (04-21-2021),RedlegJake (04-14-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-14-2021),RiverRat13 (04-14-2021),Ron Madden (04-15-2021),Roy Tucker (04-14-2021),wlf WV (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    All four infielders must stay off the outfield grass, and all 3 outfielders must stay on it.
    This makes sense as a definition of infielder/outfielder. But it also precludes 5 man infields or 4 man outfields. Is that your intent?
    It also precludes infielders venturing into the outfield grass to catch pop flies. Are you advocating for this?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    First baseman and third baseman can be no closer to second than half way
    Shortstop and 2nd baseman have to stay on their respective sides of second.
    You lost me here. What is a first baseman? A shortstop? etc
    Last edited by HUHUH; 04-14-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d rather not sit through another 10+ years of boring baseball waiting for guys who are teenagers right now to take over the majority of the league, if there even really is anything you can do to consistently beat the shift when major league pitchers constantly pound the inside of the plate with triple digit heat.
    According to FanGraphs, in 2018 there were 1320 pitches thrown at 100 mph or greater. There are 2430 games in an MLB season, which gives an average of about one 100 mph pitch thrown every two games. Is this what you mean by "constantly pound the inside of the plate with triple digit heat"?
    Last edited by HUHUH; 04-14-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't know how left-handed hitters are going to beat exaggerated shifts, especially as they're implemented more often and get more precise with growing statistical analysis.

It's not like you can take an 98 mph fastball on the inside corner the other way.

When left-handed and right-handed hitters have vastly different outcomes based simply on what side of the field 1st base is on, it's a pretty big problem.

Easiest way to stop the shift would be to put in a rule that at least two fielders must be placed to the 3rd base side of second base when the pitch is released, no deeper than 10 feet from the edge of the infield dirt.

This would mean they could still shift but would limit it to a degree. Only alternative would be to add a line to the field to use as a divider instead of second base, sort of like a batter's box but for fielders.

(This would still allow for situations where a defensive team wanted to bring an outfielder in when winning run is on 3rd and they want a 5th infielder but that is almost never done so it is not the issue)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    According to FanGraphs, in 2018 there were 1320 pitches thrown at 100 mph or greater. There are 2430 games in an MLB season, which gives an average of about one 100 mph pitch thrown every two games. Is this what you mean by "constantly pound the inside of the plate with triple digit heat"?
    Oh man, you got him good!

You know what he meant, and if you don’t you probably shouldn’t be having this conversation about the shift.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

OGB (04-21-2021),wlf WV (04-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Easiest way to stop the shift would be to put in a rule that at least two fielders must be placed to the 3rd base side of second base when the pitch is released, no deeper than 10 feet from the edge of the infield dirt.
    So extreme shifting against RHH is allowed? Why?

So extreme shifting against RHH is allowed? Why?
    It isn't done as much so I didn't have it in mind. To be fair and consistent, the language could similarly require at least two fielders to the first base side of second as well with the same depth restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Oh man, you got him good!

You know what he meant, and if you don’t you probably shouldn’t be having this conversation about the shift.
    I assume he meant what he said. Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    It isn't done as much so I didn't have it in mind. To be fair and consistent, the language could similarly require at least two fielders to the first base side of second as well with the same depth restriction.
    So now you've limited the positioning of four fielders. Any restrictions on the other three fielders (excluding the pitcher and catcher)? If they can play in the infield then you're back to allowing extreme infield shifts aren't you? And are outfield shifts still allowed?

So now you've limited the positioning of four fielders. Any restrictions on the other three fielders (excluding the pitcher and catcher)? If they can play in the infield then you're back to allowing extreme infield shifts aren't you? And are outfield shifts still allowed?
    I would not limit the shifts by outfielders at this point and I would not restrict a team from bringing one in to the infield to have 5 up front. I don't think outfield shifts have the same effect as the infield ones at this point so it doesn't need to be addressed. Start with the least change at first and see if anything else is required.

You asked the original question. Did you not really want an answer? While I proposed language I don't really care that much if there is a change.

Personally I hate the idea of a rule that forces a fielder to stand in a spot where he doesn't think the ball is going to be hit. At that point what's the point of even having defenders? Might as well just paint SINGLE/DOUBLE/TRIPLE zones on the grass.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-15-2021),Chip R (04-16-2021),Cursh14 (06-16-2021),Ed Otten (04-15-2021),HUHUH (04-15-2021),LeDoux (04-15-2021),Norm Chortleton (04-15-2021),pahster (04-23-2021),texasdave (04-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?