Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Trade Targets

Re: Offseason Trade Targets

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all. I don't see the same potential in any of those players that each of VBC had in 2008. In fact, TySteve is the only one of that proposed group who would give me any pause in losing.
    Bailey was the only one with true star potential and he ended up being the least productive of the three. Votto and Cueto were second tier prospects at the time of the proposal. Bruce and Homer were the franchise gems at the time. At the time of the proposal, Votto and Cueto weren’t considered to have the potential to be Votto and Cueto.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bailey was the only one with true star potential and he ended up being the least productive of the three. Votto and Cueto were second tier prospects at the time of the proposal. Bruce and Homer were the franchise gems at the time. At the time of the proposal, Votto and Cueto weren’t considered to have the potential to be Votto and Cueto.
    I didn't hold to that conventional wisdom at that time. I saw what they had in Votto, and by the end of 2008, I was calling Cueto three next Reds Ace.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I didn't hold to that conventional wisdom at that time. I saw what they had in Votto, and by the end of 2008, I was calling Cueto three next Reds Ace.
    Perhaps by the end of 2008 when you had a season to watch him pitch in the bigs, but those Bedard trade proposals were in the off-season after 2007 and prior to 2008, when we ultimately wound up with Edinson Volquez.

There were a lot of people ready to ship different combinations of them out. Heck, Paul Daugherty infamously wanted to trade a ridiculous package of them for Joe Blanton.

I’m not necessarily against trading prospects, but The Reds did already dip into the cupboard last off-season and while the Sonny Gray trade was a huge win in my mind, the Dodger deal turned out awful despite many of us loving it at the time.

If The Reds decide to dip into their prospect capital again, they better be *really* sure they know what they’re doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Still could trade for Merrifield and Mancini, sign Keuchel, move Suarez to LF. Empty the prospect cabinet to get those 2 trades done, and include Mahle if need be.

Senzel CF
    Merrifield 2b
    Moose 3b
    Mancini RF
    Suarez LF
    Votto 1b
    Galvis SS
    BarnSali C

Castillo/Kuechel/Gray/Bauer/Disco
    More and more I'm liking the idea of trying to deal for Mancini. I wonder what it would take. He has three years of control remaining and would instantly be a significant offensive boost to the Reds. I think it would take a ton to get him. Greene, India, Ervin and Sims for Mancini and Mychal Givens? That would address two areas of need for this team, but I have no idea if it would be enough for the Orioles to do the deal. Greene would give them a high end arm to dream on and India would be a top prospect for them. The Reds would stick Mancini in one OF corner and Aquino would slide into the RH platoon role with Winker. I'd probably want more if I'm the Orioles, but I'm not sure. The Orioles have nothing at SS and might insist on Garcia instead of India but I really don't know. I'd probably still do that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    More and more I'm liking the idea of trying to deal for Mancini. I wonder what it would take. He has three years of control remaining and would instantly be a significant offensive boost to the Reds. I think it would take a ton to get him. Greene, India, Ervin and Sims for Mancini and Mychal Givens? That would address two areas of need for this team, but I have no idea if it would be enough for the Orioles to do the deal. Greene would give them a high end arm to dream on and India would be a top prospect for them. The Reds would stick Mancini in one OF corner and Aquino would slide into the RH platoon role with Winker. I'd probably want more if I'm the Orioles, but I'm not sure. The Orioles have nothing at SS and might insist on Garcia instead of India but I really don't know. I'd probably still do that.
    It would take about 4/60M cause signing Castellanos is about the same as adding Mancini

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    It would take about 4/60M cause signing Castellanos is about the same as adding Mancini
    I would be on board with Castellanos too....but I feel we need that Merrifield type batting stat line to complete the lineup, which will have to come via trade. Merrifield and Castellanos plus a pitcher fill the void of what would likely cost us one ours to the Royals.

9. Likes:

JCM11 (12-09-2019),REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    I'd do that as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nope. Barnhart is an interchangeable part and there are a half dozen guys like him in FA every year that can be had for the $4 million or so he makes. I view moving the 2021 guarantee of the books as a plus. Reed is an out of options question mark in a bullpen with too many guys like that. They can't keep them all and need to deal one or two anyway. India is blocked by Suarez and Moustakas, so we're talking basically Tyler Stephenson for one year of superior bat followed by a QO, a draft pick and $30 Million of playflex to replace him with.
    Agreed. Barnhart and Reed have very little value. India and Ty Steve have potential, but to rent an MVP bat in the year we are "going for it" is worth it.. Let's remember folks, the Reds only "go for it" maybe once every 10 years (although it may be more than one year when they actually decide to do it.).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

In a whirlwind of moves at the winter meetings, I want the Reds to make the following trades:

CIN gets:
    SS Trevor Story
    OF David Dahl
    LH Kyle Freeland

COL gets:
    CA Tyler Stephenson
    RH Tyler Mahle
    OF Jesse Wiinker

---------

CIN gets:
    CA Willson Contreras
    RH Tyler Chatwood

CHC gets:
    CA Curt Casali
    OF Stu Fairchild
    RH Sal Romano

---------

CIN gets:
    OF Trey Mancini

BAL gets:
    OF Aristides Aquino
    RH Tony Santillan
    OF Mike Siani

----------

Then the Reds turn around and sign:

LHP Dallas Keuchel
    LHP Alex Wood

Suddenly you've got a VERY competitive team. And haven't given up either India or Lodolo.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

^^^^you had me until you traded Aquino to get Mancini

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    ^^^^you had me until you traded Aquino to get Mancini
    I could live with Aquino in RF, but Mancini projects better and still is relatively cheap.

I could live with Aquino in RF, but Mancini projects better and still is relatively cheap.
    that is the thing, I do not think the projections for Aquino can really be trusted, good or bad. I would rather take the chance that Aquino is more productive than Mancini.

16. Likes:

Mitri (12-09-2019),Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

Yeah, I don't see Mancini and a real fit for the Reds. He's a DH coming off a career year/rabbit ball season.. I'd rather just see what AA can do than trade real assets for Mancini.

Unless a true upgrade is made available (Marte, Seager, Story) I'm all for keeping our trade assets until the deadline, when a number of these guys (such as Story) can be had for much less, and hopefully a couple of our 50-100 prospect jump into the top-30. Reds had a rough go on the farm last season, now seems like a good time to keep what we have and hope a few prospects can shine up.

And in general I'm making Lodolo, Stephenson and Garcia next to untouchable.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

In a whirlwind of moves at the winter meetings, I want the Reds to make the following trades:

CIN gets:
    SS Trevor Story
    OF David Dahl
    LH Kyle Freeland

COL gets:
    CA Tyler Stephenson
    RH Tyler Mahle
    OF Jesse Wiinker
    So the Rockies needing a catcher is what makes this give up Story? Dahl for Winker I suppose could be a change of scenery move, but I think CO likes Dahl minus the injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    And in general I'm making Lodolo, Stephenson and Garcia next to untouchable.
    I'm in that same boat, I think. (I'd add Greene too, due to the injury and the likelihood he'll be better/ more attractive as a trade piece when he establishes his stuff hasn't been destroyed.)

It'd take some serious package for me to part with any of these four.

21. Likes:

Mitri (12-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?