Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Disclaimer...as of this moment I am a RZ Moocher.

But my question is what is the end game of the recent ad layout switch? Are you hoping more ads get clicked on with the recent changes which equals more $?

Do you see what posters click/purchase from the ads listed?
    Yes, per my above post, we're hoping the changes generate more revenue than the previous ad setup. We can tell which advertisement slots generate the most clicks/purchases but we can not tell which users click on them/make purchases.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My work network blocks em.

However at home they are a nightmare in the world of ad placement
    I agree, it's not a good look.

I respect that opinion but we need more details than this. What is it that doesn't look good: the type of ads you see, ad size, ad placement, ad frequency, ad colors, all of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    I agree, it's not a good look.

I started a thread about it this morning that was locked and sent me here. The ad's ar etoo choppy in relation to the content. Block ad centered, Redszone bar, block ad, first post, block ad, rest of posts; it breaks up the posting too much, no flow.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I respect that opinion but we need more details than this. What is it that doesn't look good: the type of ads you see, ad size, ad placement, ad frequency, ad colors, all of the above?
    In my opinion, it's two things:

1) The height of the ads leaves too much white space on the left and right of the ads and because of the placement at the top and after the first post in each thread, it makes it worse.

2) The height and having a second such ad after the first post make it for an annoyance, though certainly your goal of strategic placement would seemingly pay off with this alignment.

I have no problems with whatever you decide, as I completely understand your position. There's also nothing wrong with making a bit of a profit, given the time and effort in building this site. Even if it didn't take much of your time & resources, there's still nothing wrong with it.

But yeah, I would concur with others that that placement, while it's effective, is a bit overshadowed by the large ads with all the extra white space.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Also, I am not tech savvy enough to know if the ad's make a difference, but the site has been painfully slow for me today, even slower then Reds.com usually is.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Thanks for your input. We will probably allow the current set up to run for a week or so in order to establish a baseline that can be used to compare against future changes. While I've mentioned the need to increase revenue that the site brings in, I want to emphasize that the layout does not take priority over the user experience. Please be patient and we will certainly consider all feedback that is provided.

I think the ads are perfect as is. You guys deserve to receive compensation for the great work!

I think if the ad was as wide as the page but about half the height it would be a little easier to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I think if the ad was as wide as the page but about half the height it would be a little easier to look at.
    That's a pretty good idea. I would suggest keeping the thread posts together as well, currently you have an ad on top of the thread and then another one after the first post. Really looks awkward.

After a while, I did not even notice the adds. I am sure the same thing will happen with this layout.

Right now when I load RedsZone it looks like this:

RedsZone logo, and then a whole bunch of white space to the right.
    The links at the top of the page (About Us, Chat, User CP, FAQ, Community, etc.)
    White space, then a big square ad in the center of the page, then more white space.

Would it be possible to make it look like this instead?:

Ad, RedsZone logo, then another ad. (Each ad would be slightly smaller than the logo.)
    The links at the top of the page (About Us, Chat, User CP, FAQ, Community, etc.
    All of the forums that follow.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Right now when I load RedsZone it looks like this:

RedsZone logo, and then a whole bunch of white space to the right.
    The links at the top of the page (About Us, Chat, User CP, FAQ, Community, etc.)
    White space, then a big square ad in the center of the page, then more white space.

Would it be possible to make it look like this instead?:

Ad, RedsZone logo, then another ad. (Each ad would be slightly smaller than the logo.)
    The links at the top of the page (About Us, Chat, User CP, FAQ, Community, etc.
    All of the forums that follow.
    Yes, almost any design idea is possible. I don't think that would be particularly effective based on what I've read on ad layout, but to answer your question, it could be done.

To be honest, I think the issue is the cost of the subscription. Not that $30 a year is super unreasonable to remove the ads, but for a lot of people with their situations right now it is.

Have you thought about keeping the ads to an annoying level for those that don't subscribe, but for those that pay, drop the price? And hope to make up the difference in volume? At least on an interim basis? I think you might find more success that way. I think a lot more people would be willing to pay at $10 a year than $30.

Or maybe do price points. If you don't pay anything, you get the worst of the big ads. If you pay x amount, it's not as bad as those that pay nothing and then if you pay x amount, you get no ads.

That is an option as well...thanks for the feedback. It would of course mean we would have to issue prorated refunds to existing subscribers if we decide to do that, but it's something to consider. Thanks again.

Turn Off Ads?