Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Blonde on Blonde.
    I own it signed, sold it this week but the guy hasnt come through with the money, so Im most likely going to keep it. Probably regret letting it go.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-23-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If you are going to collect, it needs to be for love.

Investment stuff- you really have to get lucky or sink some money into something you are certain will hold value, something truly rare.
    Very true.

Don't know if I asked this in the past or not and even if I did maybe it's changed, but what is your favorite piece that you own? And what is the most valuable? They can be the same, but don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Very true.

Don't know if I asked this in the past or not and even if I did maybe it's changed, but what is your favorite piece that you own? And what is the most valuable? They can be the same, but don't have to be.
    My Cobain smashed guitar most valuable, without question.

The prices are crazy right now.

Favorite is a tie. The Dave Grohl snare is one.

He played that thing as a teenager, in Nirvana, and then right after Kurt died he would practice on it and record demos that became the first Foo Fighters record.

He always talks about after Kurt died he didnt want to play music anymore....then he would "go down and play music in his basement"....which is where this drum was.

The other is my Bill Ward cymbals. You cant get any better than recording the first 3 Sabbath records on them plus all the live dates, music videos, etc.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 08-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.

6. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (08-24-2018),Kingspoint (01-30-2019)

Your chances of getting Dylan are small.

Now- if you can find his hotel....where he parks his tour bus...and maybe you are the only one there....he does go for long walks with his hood pulled over his head...he may talk to you, but the second you pull out that poster he is going to be freaked out. He is a strange dude.

I had a friend who used to get him, but he brought him stuff...like old boxing memorabilia...like a trade. He loves the History Channel, things like that.

But he knows what his signature is worth....it's a lot of money....so he'll say something like "If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you..."

If you say, "I'm a big fan," be prepared for a quiz..."oh really what is your favorite album?"

People who get close say it is the weirdest experience, but some do get lucky, and the only way to get lucky is to be there.
    I might give it a try. Its a poster from the first date I went on with my now wife, and think that's what I would lead with if I get a chance to approach him. That's how I got Willie to sign it.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-23-2018)

My Cobain smashed guitar most valuable, without question.

The prices are crazy right now.

Favorite is a tie. The Dave Grohl snare is one.

He played that thing as a teenager, in Nirvana, and then right after Kurt died he would practice on it and record demos that became the first Foo Fighters record.

He always talks about after Kurt died he didnt want to play music anymore....then he would "go down and play music in his basement"....which is where this drum was.

The other is my Bill Ward cymbals. You cant get any better than recording the first 3 Sabbath records on them plus all the live dates, music videos, etc.
    It sure does seem like the way to go are those unique pieces. Especially stuff that was actually used by talent. Most of the stuff I have is autographs. They've been easy to get and have required little to no investment.

By far the best piece (or pieces) I have are a collection of handwritten letters by John Mayer. They are dated and from super early in his career...2001-2002. Also have a typed one from him on his letterhead from a few years ago that's signed. They are truly one-of-a-kind pieces. He's not really in legend territory (yet), but he does have a very rabid fanbase so I think there is a market there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It sure does seem like the way to go are those unique pieces. Especially stuff that was actually used by talent. Most of the stuff I have is autographs. They've been easy to get and have required little to no investment.

By far the best piece (or pieces) I have are a collection of handwritten letters by John Mayer. They are dated and from super early in his career...2001-2002. Also have a typed one from him on his letterhead from a few years ago that's signed. They are truly one-of-a-kind pieces. He's not really in legend territory (yet), but he does have a very rabid fanbase so I think there is a market there for sure.
    Those letters are worth some cash, for sure. The content is everything, but post cards, letters, all valuable. Terrific, sounds cool.

Not really an autograph, but happy to own one of Nancy Wilson's guitars.

"The cuda" as it was known, everytime she played Barracuda from 2006ish to 2012, she played it on this. American Idol, Ellen, VH1 with Alice in Chains....and all tours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nancy Wilson1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	14098

Name:	Nancywilson2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	14099

Name:	Nancywilson3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	14100

Name:	nancywilson4.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	14101

Name:	nancywilson5.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	14102

12. Likes:

marcshoe (10-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Dom...Prince autographs are about non existant I have heard.
    Sorry to bring this up, but I thought of you-

A few months back a Prince Purple Rain signed poster sold for $15,000.

it was amazing.

They also had a Purple Rain tour used microphone....I was in on it until it got way out of hand. Something like $27,000.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

How about a list of folks I’ve met and never got an autograph from?

I had a twenty minute or so conversation with Harry Carey at Wrigley once. Never thought about getting anything signed. He died a few months later.

I was driving rideshare a couple years ago and picked up John Rzeznik from a hotel downtown. They were in town for a show. We had a nice talk about music, but I never got him to sign anything. Just didn’t seem appropriate at the moment.

I’ve given rides to a few Bengals players as well, but it just doesn’t seem right to ask for something like that when I’m giving a guy a ride.

I have an autographed copy of Joe Morgan’s autobiography, as well as Nuxhall’s signature on his biography. I think those are the only ones I still have.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-16-2019),RedsBaron (01-08-2020)

What would be a reasonable price for a Walt Disney auto? I would like to get one for my wife, doesn't have to be fancy, actually would prefer a cut or something basic I can mat/frame with a print. Looked on Ebay, seem $3k is a starting point?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    What would be a reasonable price for a Walt Disney auto? I would like to get one for my wife, doesn't have to be fancy, actually would prefer a cut or something basic I can mat/frame with a print. Looked on Ebay, seem $3k is a starting point?
    Wow , I missed this! Sorry!

Yes, Id say that would be a good starting point for a cut.

Here is a new one. This is Stevie Nicks' microphone from the Rumours tour, 1977-1978.

She initialed it, but most cool is her lipstick on top of it.

This was a long time coming, worked pretty hard to get this one.

Name:	F8C4D24F-C9A0-48CB-A8C0-0148B0B5B394.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	14662

Name:	1B0D01B1-B3B1-45E0-AB77-424034620600.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	14663

Name:	3976A833-7DED-4AC3-AA1D-EF8D3445933D.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	14664

Name:	B9579A5C-DC82-4336-B630-1EDAEE028D2E.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	14665

Attachment 14666

Attachment 14667

18. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-15-2019)

If anybody cares- this is kind of cool.

So in the Spring of 1990, Nirvana recorded a few songs with Butch Vig at Smart Studios in Wisconsin. They then headed off on the road. Vig sent the masters to Sub Pop, and at some point Cobain got a copy as well.

Once they returned from touring that Summer, Kurt had fired Chad Channing and broke up with his girlfriend Tracy Marander- sort of dumb things to do, since Tracy paid the bills and the only means of income Kurt had was touring.

So what else to do- he and Krist spent the next few months furiously making demo tapes to send to record executives and friends- having no money, they used their personal stash of the prior release "Bleach" to put these new recordings on. They literally put scotch tape over the holes on top of the cassettes, they handmade a cassette artwork (plain white poster board with a gold foil cross) and started mailing them out. Also- since the songs they had werent enough to tape over the prior songs, Kurt added Gemini astronaut recordings to the second side.

Here is one of those tapes. The handwriting on the green label is Kurt Cobain's, the track listing, I cannot figure out. It is either Krist Novoselic's (when I showed this to him, he said he couldn't be sure) or someone close to the band. Krist's fiance at the time? Tracy Marander? One of those mysteries that may never be solved.

Name:	Nirvana Demo.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	15401

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-07-2019),Revering4Blue (11-07-2019)

Do you buy and sell both Dom or are you just in the accumulating phase?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Do you buy and sell both Dom or are you just in the accumulating phase?
    I do sell and buy, both, buddy.

Usually Im selling to buy something else haha

Like right now I just sold a bunch of stuff to buy one big thing.

So not a dealer per se, i dont have a website or anything, but will sell to get some cash for other stuff.

Turn Off Ads?