Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Senzel not gonna start???

Re: Senzel not gonna start???

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds, all offseason (even up to TODAY) have said that Nick Senzel is playing only center field. And every single time someone asks where Shogo plays they always say "he can play all three spots". I'm not sure what else anyone needs to hear, or how many more times they need to hear it, but the Reds have been telling you for months how things are going to play out with regards to center field. You just need to listen.
    That’s my clear impression too, Doug, Reds want Senzel to continue to progress as a CFer almost exclusively.

But a number of RedsZone posters don’t believe it - they keep saying Senzel’s going to be a jack-of-all-trades utility player, who’ll get 40-50 starts at second base.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-25-2020 at 03:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds, all offseason (even up to TODAY) have said that Nick Senzel is playing only center field. And every single time someone asks where Shogo plays they always say "he can play all three spots". I'm not sure what else anyone needs to hear, or how many more times they need to hear it, but the Reds have been telling you for months how things are going to play out with regards to center field. You just need to listen.
    Just speaking for myself.
    I am saying what the Reds SHOULD do.
    Either make Senzel the starting LF or trade him. If Senzel is kept, probably want to trade Winker.
    I would play Shogo in CF everyday. Now I have not seen Shogo play CF, but even if he has "lost" a step, he's probably still the best defensive CF on the Reds.
    Now I agree with you, the Reds may do something different.
    If the Reds signed Shogo as a 4th OF, that was not a very well thought out plan. They should have spent the money on the bullpen instead.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Hey, the 1988 Rookies of the year had the following numbers

Weiss .250/.312/ .321/ .633
    Sabo .271/ .314/ .414/ .728

Senzel would have outperformed both.
    No, Sabo had an OPS + of 105, Senzel +89

Because

.248/.310/.363/.673 - 1988 - NL
    .251/.323/.431/.754 - 2019 - NL

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-25-2020),M2 (02-25-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That’s my clear impression too, Doug, Reds want Senzel to continue to progress as a CFer almost exclusively.

But a number of RedsZone posters don’t believe it - they keep saying Senzel’s going to be a jack-of-all-trades utility player, who’ll get 40-50 starts at second base.
    The Senzel at 2B thing doesn’t any sense at all because it necessitates sitting one of Moustakas or Suarez on a somewhat regular basis, and there’s literally no reason to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Just speaking for myself.
    I am saying what the Reds SHOULD do.
    Either make Senzel the starting LF or trade him. If Senzel is kept, probably want to trade Winker.
    I would play Shogo in CF everyday. Now I have not seen Shogo play CF, but even if he has "lost" a step, he's probably still the best defensive CF on the Reds.
    If the Reds signed Shogo as a 4th OF, that was not a very well thought out plan. They should have spent the money on the bullpen instead.
    Shogo was a good signing. He’s only paid $6 million for the 2020 season, with $1 million increases each of the next two years. They have money for relievers if they want to spend it.

The Reds were pitiful thin in CF last year. At times, Winker played CF. Ervin is not a CFer, Reds moved him to corner in the minors. Now they have some actual CFers which is good, even if Shogo has lost a step.

In addition, Winker is the only LH bat among the likely OFers, Shogo adds that too.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-25-2020 at 03:28 PM.

8. Likes:

ochoa30 (02-25-2020),REDREAD (02-26-2020)

The Reds will be happy to have the extra bats when the injury bug hits, and when they need a DH.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The Senzel at 2B thing doesn’t any sense at all because it necessitates sitting one of Moustakas or Suarez on a somewhat regular basis, and there’s literally no reason to do that.
    They should sit Votto once per week with Moose at 1B. Moose and Suarez will sit some as well. 50 starts are available at 2B easily.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They should sit Votto once per week with Moose at 1B. Moose and Suarez will sit some as well. 50 starts are available at 2B easily.
    He's played 4 games at 1st and bats LH too... why make him do that? Better yet, sit Votto against tough LH's put Suerez at 1st and Senzel at 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's played 4 games at 1st and bats LH too... why make him do that? Better yet, sit Votto against tough LH's put Suerez at 1st and Senzel at 3rd
    Senzel at 2nd and Moose at 3B. Fine by me. I think Senzel needs to stick to 2B and CF until they are confident in is arm. Either way, Votto needs to sit more and it opens PT in the IF. He's old and has a history of an achy back that clearly affected his swing last year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

REDREAD (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, Sabo had an OPS + of 105, Senzel +89

Because

.248/.310/.363/.673 - 1988 - NL
    .251/.323/.431/.754 - 2019 - NL
    1988 featured the lowest NL league OPS since they lowered the mound in 1969. It's the best pitching season I've ever seen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2020),REDREAD (02-26-2020),westofyou (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    1988 featured the lowest NL league OPS since they lowered the mound in 1969. It's the best pitching season I've ever seen.
    And 87 was a freak power year so it seemed even more intense

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2020),M2 (02-26-2020),Old school 1983 (03-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    They just won't have a consistent starting 8. Bell will mix and match and double switch as needed to get the best matchups to start games and within games. For those who say they didn't sign Shogo to sit on the bench, he won't sit on the bench. He'll play alot, just not all 9 innings of every game. He gives them good defense at 3 spots and a left hand bat. He adds lots of depth and gives Bell extended flexibility to make switches and match ups. Senzel starts most games in CF. Shogo still gets around 450 ab's with occasional starts everywhere and mid-game switches.

I'm not trading Senzel or Winker just to make the pieces fit more neatly. They have to plan for losing Castellanos in '21. I don't want to lose Ervin for nothing with him being out of options and I don't want to sit AA in AAA. Let's have that power and defense on our bench. I'd give serious consideration to keeping 6 outfielders (Castellanos and Senzel are emergency infielders). And just carry a bullpen of 7, including one with options who can be sent down and replaced with a fresh arm when needed.

Bench of Shogo, Ervin, AA, Farmer, Casali, and Blandino/Dietrich. Pen of Iglesias, Lorenzen, Garrett, Strop, Stephenson, Reed, Sims, and 7th guy with options. That's what I'd do.
    Last edited by UPRedsFan; 02-26-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Stat geek...and proud

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with trying to make Nick Ben Zobrist 2.0, but it seems like that’s not in the cards.

I guess Nick is ready .... https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-n...to-make-impact

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- With roughly three weeks remaining in Spring Training, Nick Senzel will make his 2020 debut for the Reds on Thursday against the Brewers. Senzel, who has been rehabilitating from September surgery on his right shoulder, is scheduled to be in the lineup as the designated hitter.

The big question, however, is whether Senzel will have enough time to be ready as the Opening Day center fielder. The 24-year-old second-year big leaguer was optimistic.

“It’s just going to come down to if my progression is going as planned and I am throwing 4-5 times a week and then we sit down with the medical staff and David for what the best decision is moving forward,” Senzel said on Monday. “But I have a good feeling that I should be ready to go for Opening Day.”
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

22. Likes:

North (03-03-2020),REDREAD (03-03-2020),Ron Madden (03-03-2020)

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

If a talented player can't stay healthy...

I want to be wrong here, but he's always seemingly got one injury/illness after another. It'd be fantastic if Senzel succeeds, but it is not franchise ending if he doesn't.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?