Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many huge leads has this team blown?

How many huge leads has this team blown?

Unfortunately it seems that blowing huge leads is the M.O for these guys.

I was happy when I checked the score on my break and they were up 5-1. Of course, I should have known better as this team loves to blow huge leads.
    The SF series and this game come to mind.

Its a shame that when our offense is on fire our pitching seems falls apart.

It's as some fans aren't meant to get winning baseball teams.

Just venting a little bit, but darnit when this team makes me think they are turning it around I come home excited to read about the Reds win only to see they crapped the bed again.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How many huge leads has this team blown?

Note Wandy Peralta was at the center of the meltdown, again.

4. Likes:

NC Reds (05-23-2019),The Operator (05-22-2019)

When the opposition knows your team has blown leads this year, they know they still have a chance to win.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    When the opposition knows your team has blown leads this year, they know they still have a chance to win.
    That’s Sun-Tzu, right?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

fondfoat (05-28-2019),Hillsdale87 (05-22-2019),Mitri (05-22-2019),NC Reds (05-23-2019),NebraskaRed (05-22-2019),OGB (05-22-2019),westofyou (05-22-2019),Wonderful Monds (05-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That’s Sun-Tzu, right?
    If not I'm betting Niccolò Machiavelli

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-22-2019)

That’s Sun-Tzu, right?
    No, Wandy Peralta.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

bm1475 (05-23-2019),Chip R (05-23-2019)

I can really only think of 3, which is an improvement.
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

goreds2 (05-22-2019),Ron Madden (05-23-2019)

This one hurt but don’t they all?! I would bet my house 10 out of 10 times on Castillo with a 3 or 4 run lead and tonight I’d be looking for a place to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    This one hurt but don’t they all?! I would bet my house 10 out of 10 times on Castillo with a 3 or 4 run lead and tonight I’d be looking for a place to sleep
    yeah, I have no issue putting it on Wandy Peralta....I do not think he is very good, and prefer not to see him take the mound.....but you hand Castillo the ball with a 5 run lead, and you win that game 8 or 9 out of 10 times. Have to chalk this one up to $%it happens.

Are they blowing huge leads more then any other team(s)? Don't know.

I've watched a lot of Red's game this year, so this is just my observation. Now this game does not fit that "category". This game, just as some players said after the game, was just one of those wild and crazy games you'll see in baseball. It happens. Even when you have two of the best young pitches on the mound. It was a night of the bats!

But I've watched this team have a lot of their success in that first inning or two where they'll put up 4-5 runs. Is it because it is the beginning of the game and the pitcher is not comfortable, settled in yet? Likely IMO. But then the opposition seems to have their "inning" around the middle of the game when either the starter's pitch count is up there, and they're starting to tire. And they are either getting to the starter or the new BP guy brought in.

But this is why teams keep playing, the players keep pressing. It's not an issue of - "Its the Reds. Keep pressing because they'll choke it!". It's just simply the way the game of baseball is played, even when you're down early ... "Lots of game left. Just like our guy gave up 4 runs in the first inning, one of their guys can do the same". You keep playing. Down to the last out.

I think our bats though are starting to come to life.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

goreds2 (05-23-2019),Ron Madden (05-23-2019)

I was shocked when Bell didn't leave Hughes out there for a second inning and had that impending feeling of doom when I saw he didn't. I mean he was the first pitcher in the game that didn't look like a deer in headlights and he only threw 12 pitches. Plus Hughes has pitched well in multiple innings this year going 3 shutout innings against Oakland and 2 against the Cubs. I get the whole matchup thing but his career OPS vs LHB is .727 while Peralta's is .740! So why?? Unfortunately it wasn't one of Bell's more egregious decisions this year but I thought it was the wrong move at the time.
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-23-2019 at 09:36 AM.

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-23-2019),Tony Cloninger (05-23-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

That’s Sun-Tzu, right?
    I believe it's Thom of House Brennaman
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Everybody is so tired of the losing and not even being relative, everything is heightened.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 05-23-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I was shocked when Bell didn't leave Hughes out there for a second inning and had that impending feeling of doom when I saw he didn't. I mean he was the first pitcher in the game that didn't look like a deer in headlights and he only threw 12 pitches. Plus Hughes has pitched well in multiple innings this year going 3 shutout innings against Oakland and 2 against the Cubs. I get the whole matchup thing but his career OPS vs LHB is .727 while Peralta's is .740! So why?? Unfortunately it wasn't one of Bell's more egregious decisions this year but I thought it was the wrong move at the time.
    One can only hope that the new managing/coaching staff is learning and won’t repeat mistakes. And is recognizing strengths and weaknesses of players and will adjust accordingly. Not a given - some managers are stubborn - hope Bell is learning and adjusting.

It's important to know the book theory of lefty/righty and such, but as discussed in the game thread, you have to know your personnel. Especially relievers who are brought in with the game on the line.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Turn Off Ads?