Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrett has got to go

Re: Garrett has got to go

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sorry Garrett defenders but Osich coming up and immediately giving you 2.1 innings of scoreless ball is not great for the “Any unknown is likely to be worse than Garrett” argument!
    I love junky LHs in the BP, they tend to be cheap and crafty.

I.E. they can pound the Budweiser

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-23-2021),Tom Servo (06-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love junky LHs in the BP, they tend to be cheap and crafty.

I.E. they can pound the Budweiser
    Dang guess I need to learn to throw left handed

DooNothing is worse than AG

6. Likes:

mth123 (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-23-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    You’re better than this
    I don't think so

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m looking at the entire sample for this year, it’s been awful.
    I agree. But what they are saying is his improved performance over his last four starts shows he is turning a corner, progressing, and bolster a fan's hope. When he has pitched well recently, the offense abandons him.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I did no pinning. Again, I asked why he gets a pass for any negatives. It was an example.
    So you're giving him a free pass for Castillo, while still asking why he should get a free pass for Castillo? Odd logic.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    So you're giving him a free pass for Castillo, while still asking why he should get a free pass for Castillo? Odd logic.
    No, I am not. I’m sorry to question the sacred Derek Johnson in your presence. Derek Johnson, hallowed be thy name.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    DooNothing is worse than AG
    This. They need a new lefty, with AG moving into a more highly specialized/situational role and the new lefty being the high-leverage guy. Doolittle seems like a nice guy but his career may be ending.

13. Likes:

DocRed (06-22-2021),mth123 (06-22-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    This. They need a new lefty, with AG moving into a more highly specialized/situational role and the new lefty being the high-leverage guy. Doolittle seems like a nice guy but his career may be ending.
    Agreed, I've seen nothing that inspires confidence out of Doolittle this year. I liked the acquisition, but it just doesn't seem like a fit at all. Put him in a huge ballpark and he might be serviceable.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

15. Likes:

DocRed (06-22-2021),Mitri (06-22-2021)

Maybe the "Spincinnati" thing is playing out because guys were adding spin that didn't need to. Like Garrett. Last year he looked like the guy he was hyped to be, like he had turned a corner. Maybe the emphasis on spin actually hurt him. Also, when you know that slider of his is coming and that it won't be a strike, maybe it's easier to lay off that pitch. Dude needs to trust his 96+ FB a little more.

In the month of June only Warren and Antone have pitched well. Even the guys that look like they may have pitched ok, in a cursory look only really haven't. Sims needs a break. He's been overused.

But regarding Garrett, the "ease him back in" is not working. And his approach is not working. Part of that is on him, part on the coaching.

But really the pen needs at least 5 new guys. When Gray comes back Santillan in the pen could work. Hoffman has some K's in him, so he gets a spot in the pen too. Sanmartin has been great at getting K's and has allowed only a single HR this year across two levels. Someone needs to figure out why Cionel Perez dominates AAA and is owned by MLB hitters.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Maybe the "Spincinnati" thing is playing out because guys were adding spin that didn't need to. Like Garrett. Last year he looked like the guy he was hyped to be, like he had turned a corner. Maybe the emphasis on spin actually hurt him. Also, when you know that slider of his is coming and that it won't be a strike, maybe it's easier to lay off that pitch. Dude needs to trust his 96+ FB a little more.

In the month of June only Warren and Antone have pitched well. Even the guys that look like they may have pitched ok, in a cursory look only really haven't. Sims needs a break. He's been overused.

But regarding Garrett, the "ease him back in" is not working. And his approach is not working. Part of that is on him, part on the coaching.

But really the pen needs at least 5 new guys. When Gray comes back Santillan in the pen could work. Hoffman has some K's in him, so he gets a spot in the pen too. Sanmartin has been great at getting K's and has allowed only a single HR this year across two levels. Someone needs to figure out why Cionel Perez dominates AAA and is owned by MLB hitters.
    Garrett hasn’t added any spin though, he’s consistently ranked fairly low in the league on his FB and slider, and I don’t think it’s changed much in either direction since Johnson or Driveline either one has gotten here. Not to mention he publicly said in an interview he didn’t buy into spin rate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Garrett has not bought into “Spincinnati” and he has never changed his approach. Fangraphs wrote an article about it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I don't care for the focus on MPH and spin rate. As if the overhand throwing motion was not enough to wreck young arms, now the focus is on max effort, throwing as hard as possible with as much spin as possible. Dr. Frankenstein meets baseball, and pitchers are being abused.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

20. Likes:

757690 (06-23-2021),mth123 (06-23-2021),REDREAD (06-24-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't care for the focus on MPH and spin rate. As if the overhand throwing motion was not enough to wreck young arms, now the focus is on max effort, throwing as hard as possible with as much spin as possible. Dr. Frankenstein meets baseball, and pitchers are being abused.
    This was the fatal flaw this team had this year. They dismantled the pen with Iglesias, Bradley, Lorenzen all removed from the mix with no replacements and they thought they were the smartest guys in the room that could zero in on Deleon's stuff, Fulmer's spin rate and Perez fastball speed and turn these guys into a dominant back-end. They ignored that even with that stuff, Deleon is 28 and has never been able to stick in the majors and Fulmer's spin rate was elite last year while he was getting drubbed and Perez threw high 90s for the Astros and they were still willing to move him for a back-up low minors catcher. Those things aren't the same as actually getting guys out. The Reds were so impressed with themselves, they forgot about that IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-24-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021),traderumor (06-23-2021)

its a "Moneyball" approach, at least they tried?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?