Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

I'd like to have 3 starting outfielders who can hit their collective weights just one full season when the pitching is decent....and not just 3 skinny outfielders..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why does everyone forget my man Aquino?
    I was going to include him but I couldn't remember his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Have you seen his numbers this year?

- - - Updated - - -

Ervin's what, 26? I hardly consider him a prospect. Van Meter isn't really a prospect.
    Yes I have. Room for improvement, but still a lot of season left. Really solid on-base percentage though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yes I have. Room for improvement, but still a lot of season left. Really solid on-base percentage though.
    I still firmly believe he's going to be a good one. But I don't think he's going to be ready in '20.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

7. Likes:

GAC (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    I'd like to have 3 starting outfielders who can hit their collective weights just one full season when the pitching is decent....and not just 3 skinny outfielders..
    LF = + .035 (Winker + .018, Peraza + .017)
    CF = + .059 (Senzel)
    RF = - .030 (Puig)

Be careful what you wish for

9. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (06-07-2019),Griffey012 (06-05-2019),HammerTime (06-05-2019),marcshoe (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Van Meter isn't really a prospect.
    Van Meter is 24, and splitting time between AAA and MLB.

He's absolutely a prospect. Sometimes all it takes is a different approach, a new coach or org. For that matter, I believe you can play your way back into prospect status, like Aquino is doing.

Reds have some hitters at AAA. Kinda need some pitching, but I digress.

If the Reds move on from Puig, I think they can fill his spot in house. Aquino, Longhi, Van Meter, Schebler, even the Notorious BOG.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-05-2019),GAC (06-06-2019),Kingspoint (06-07-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-07-2019)

Puig currently leads Reds starting OFs with a 0.0 bWAR.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Chip R (06-05-2019),Kingspoint (06-07-2019)

I'm one of the biggest Trammell fans there is, and I'll say he has no business being mentioned as a September callup unless something changes dramatically. I also wouldn't count on him to be a major contributor in the first half of 2020 either.

I wouldn't mind offering Puig a 2 year, ~$15M contract just to see what happens. If he takes it and he sucks, it's not that painful. If he takes it and he regains his footing, it's an incredible bargain. If he turns it down (which he likely would), at least you know what he's expecting this offseason.
    Go BLUE!!!

Love Trammell, but he's gonna need at least an Aquino-level bounce back season to even hint at playing in the GAB.

Puig can’t seem to catch up to the fastball that’s anywhere except in his wheelhouse and he swings at the outside curve ball. I love to watch his defense though.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Puig can’t seem to catch up to the fastball that’s anywhere except in his wheelhouse and he swings at the outside curve ball. I love to watch his defense though.
    I think he needs to denounce JoeBu
    Go BLUE!!!

18. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (06-07-2019),CarolinaRedleg (06-05-2019),Chip R (06-05-2019),M2 (06-05-2019),mgbrown66 (06-05-2019),Old school 1983 (06-06-2019)

They call me "chef"

Bummer that we got off year Puig but what can you do? At least, he’s walking after this year and we’ll have an opportunity to fill that spot with someone who can help build off the positives of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm one of the biggest Trammell fans there is, and I'll say he has no business being mentioned as a September callup unless something changes dramatically.
    My mentioning him being a September call-up was more in reference to the Red's expanding their roster and giving some of their prospects some ML exposure/experience then anything.

From Billings to Dayton, Trammel continued to play well vs the higher level of competition. And fared well in the AFL IMO. He got promoted to Chatt this year, had a solid April, and a bad May. He's had his struggles this year, but I'm going to credit that to getting adjusted. We'll see. I believe he has a very good eye at the plate. He's posted pretty solid walk rates along the way, and continues, even in his struggles, to carry a solid OB%. With that elite speed, that's something to have.

But I agree with you gents that it looks more likely to be '21. I've seen comparisons to Carl Crawford, but CC wasn't anywhere near the elite defender that Trammell is.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My mentioning him being a September call-up was more in reference to the Red's expanding their roster and giving some of their prospects some ML exposure/experience then anything.

From Billings to Dayton, Trammel continued to play well vs the higher level of competition. And fared well in the AFL IMO. He got promoted to Chatt this year, had a solid April, and a bad May. He's had his struggles this year, but I'm going to credit that to getting adjusted. We'll see. I believe he has a very good eye at the plate. He's posted pretty solid walk rates along the way, and continues, even in his struggles, to carry a solid OB%. With that elite speed, that's something to have.

But I agree with you gents that it looks more likely to be '21. I've seen comparisons to Carl Crawford, but CC wasn't anywhere near the elite defender that Trammell is.
    To be fair, Crawford was starting in the majors when he was 20 years old though, and was an All-Star when he was TT's age (before his 22nd birthday).
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

22. Likes:

GAC (06-07-2019)

The Puig thing so far is just a bummer because it's not like this was the Willy Taveras trade or something, some boneheaded move that was destined to fail. This has been more like a mini-version of the Griffey trade. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, yet so far it hasn't. Made perfect sense to take a shot on a charismatic guy with an infectious attitude who has performed like an MVP in the past and has settled in to being an above average bat and bring him to a hitter friendly park. Even had his hitting coach around too just to be safe.

But if the Reds had still done the Dodgers deal but then flipped Puig to someone like Cleveland, and then signed Adam Jones and put him in RF (or Avisail Garcia, with even better hindsight), they might very well have more wins right now. Kind of like if the Reds had kept Mike Cameron instead of shipping him to Seattle for Junior. Man plans and God laughs.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

24. Likes:

UKFlounder (06-07-2019)

Turn Off Ads?