Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2018 Bengals Season: My House is Made of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm a prophet:

I'm telling you folks, Mike Brown knows money and he saw the empty seats. I don't know how many times I have to tell you. After all these yrs you folks still don't get Mike Brown. I knew Marvin wasn't staying. The rest of you should have known better. This is no surprise
    Empty seats play a factor but lets remember this Mike Brown gets 225 million dollars before he sells a single ticket...everything after that is gravy.

And honestly we all thought Marv was gone last year which is why some of us were unsure what was going to happen this season, with Mike Brown you can never be sure.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Lots of names worth throwing out there. From the college level, the one guy that I would want above everyone else would be Chris Petersen, especially if Washington ends up beating Ohio State. He's an offensive guru. In the NFL, Zimmer would be great to have back. Jim Schwartz, I wouldn't mind. I'm sure there are some people here who would hate that hire, but he's done wonders in Philly. Dan Campbell, the Assistant HC/TE Coach of the Saints, will probably get interviews, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fill one of these vacancies.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I doubt Mike Brown would pony up the dollars needed to pry a college coach away...some folks speculated on Riley or Brian Kelly but those names are doubtful due to the cash it would take to get them. The team released a statement reporting the search begins now and will take several weeks.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

5. Likes:

UKFlounder (12-31-2018)

He ain't hirin' Hue. He knows the fans would not buy that. As I said, Marvin's gone. After all these yrs I'm amazed that so many Bengal fans still don't understand Mike Brown. He knows $$ and he knows empty seats don't generate it. So many Bengal fans, including Dave Lapham, said that Marvin would be back with Hue. No! I give kudos to former Bengal Jim Breech who last night said on local tv that Marvin would be gone because of the empty seats. There's one more thing to take out of this:

Fans, you had a say in all of this. Your not going to games contributed to this move.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-31-2018),Revering4Blue (12-31-2018)

I'm a prophet:

I'm telling you folks, Mike Brown knows money and he saw the empty seats. I don't know how many times I have to tell you. After all these yrs you folks still don't get Mike Brown. I knew Marvin wasn't staying. The rest of you should have known better. This is no surprise
    What part of "revenue sharing" don't you understand?

Brown cares about the luxury boxes more than anything else, and even those are peanuts compared to his 1/32 NFL cut.

But fan attendance?

Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    What part of "revenue sharing" don't you understand?
    Oh he'll get the revenue sharing but he won't get the concessions and parking revenue from empty seats.

What part of Mike Brown don't you understand? How many times did you say Marvin and Hue would be back? I lost count. You're the one who doesn't understand something here

The best consequence of Marvin being fired is that Duke Tobin will have more influence in the organization. That's a very good thing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (01-01-2019)

Oh he'll get the revenue sharing but he won't get the concessions and parking revenue from empty seats.

What part of Mike Brown don't you understand? How many times did you say Marvin and Hue would be back? I lost count. You're the one who doesn't understand something here
    Marvin leaving has zero to do with Joe Sixpack not buying tickets. Because of revenue sharing.

Empty luxury boxes would be more of a factor, and that has nothing to do with the average fan.

Concessions? Parking money? Chump change, comparatively.

If they hired Brian Kelly I'd have a hard time continuing.

Hoping for Zimmer. Think Vance Joseph or Gase are probably the likely front runners.

I don't trust Brown to make a good hire. I hope Katie is making like 80% of the decision here.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Officially make Duke Tobin G. M. and then get the heck out of the way. Take an 8-month vacation, Mr. Brown and let Duke and your family run things.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Marvin speaking now says he did not deliver...lots of positives. He and Mike both decided it was time. Spent last 20 mins with the players and they talked ...about passion and not cutting things short. Says this season has been a lot from Indy all the way through...

Enjoyed coaching a younger team this season but they were still kids many of them. Thinks Hue would be a qualified choice, been in a few difficult situations which is tough. Would be an excellent choice.

Marvin said he worked his tail off here...

Was asked about being offered another job (GM) and flatly denies that happened said those reports were from left field.
    I'm glad you liked him, but I couldn't take any more Marvin Lewis Conferences. He was always full of B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    If they hired Brian Kelly I'd have a hard time continuing.

Hoping for Zimmer. Think Vance Joseph or Gase are probably the likely front runners.

I don't trust Brown here at all. I hope Katie is making like 80% of the decision here.
    I think Zimmer is staying on. Gase will apparently have a lot of suitors. So I bet he doesn't came to Cincy. My guess is it will be someone who doesn't think he'll have another chance at the brass ring. LOng time assistant or failed head coach like Joseph.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

He ain't hirin' Hue. He knows the fans would not buy that. As I said, Marvin's gone. After all these yrs I'm amazed that so many Bengal fans still don't understand Mike Brown. He knows $$ and he knows empty seats don't generate it. So many Bengal fans, including Dave Lapham, said that Marvin would be back with Hue. No! I give kudos to former Bengal Jim Breech who last night said on local tv that Marvin would be gone because of the empty seats. There's one more thing to take out of this:

Fans, you had a say in all of this. Your not going to games contributed to this move.
    I always said it would.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    From 2003-2015 he was a very good coach, even with the playoff failures, especially 2015.

He was not perfect, but was good, but the last 3 years were not good at all.
    I'll quibble a bit with this. Lewis saw some successes with his methods. But he never significantly improved on areas where he was failing (clock management, playing vets over more talented kids, halftime adjustments) and that ultimately led to the stagnation we've seen from his teams.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-31-2018)

I don't think the Bengals are an unattractive landing spot for a Head Coach any more. Look what it takes to get fired? Can't find better job security in the NFL. Plus, Duke Tobin is one heck of a Scout. Most of the bad influence has been jettisoned in Alexander and Lewis. Mike Brown has improved in his willingness to fix holes through Free Agency every year. He authorized the drafting of a Center in the 1st Round last year. He extended Dalton to a team-friendly contract so he wouldn't have a Flacco situation. He stopped adding as many head-case players years ago. He authorized the hiring of some quality Coordinators outside the organization in recent years. That Gase didn't work out isn't Gase's full responsibility, nor do we know what really happened with Marvin "assisting" with the Defense on the Detroit hire, which looked good at the time. DeFelippo was an excellent hire by Minnesota, but that has been a flop so far. Trying to figure out why is difficult. Gase has not been given a chance on Offense.

I have to assume that Tobin will be involved in recommendations.

The Elephant in the room is Hue Jackson. We already know that his presence can be toxic. It was in Cincinnati for Jay Gruden. It was in Cleveland, clearly. He has to be let go, too. His voice is too strong and he's too stubborn. Those are poor leadership qualities and poor soldier qualities. He does not belong in Coaching at any level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'll quibble a bit with this. Lewis saw some successes with his methods. But he never significantly improved on areas where he was failing (clock management, playing vets over more talented kids, halftime adjustments) and that ultimately led to the stagnation we've seen from his teams.
    I'll quibble a lot. Lewis was never, ever, a good Coach. He wasn't even worthy of his moniker, "Mediocre" Marv.

21. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-31-2018)

Turn Off Ads?