Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: College Baseball 2019

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: College Baseball 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    My James Madison Dukes, the first school from Virginia to ever advance to the College World Series, are 7-1 against some not-so-great competition. They face a tough three-game test against #8 Louisville starting today.

(That CWS appearance was 36 years ago but I remember it as if it were only 35 years ago.)
    LOL, the original "Dukies"!

2. Turn Off Ads?

My James Madison Dukes, the first school from Virginia to ever advance to the College World Series, are 7-1 against some not-so-great competition. They face a tough three-game test against #8 Louisville starting today.

(That CWS appearance was 36 years ago but I remember it as if it were only 35 years ago.)
    Cool. Keep us posted how they fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Cool. Keep us posted how they fare.
    One hit in the first game. Reid Detmers struck out 14 in 8 innings.

Now I'm hankering for some dogs at Jess' Lunch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

RichRed (03-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My Defending Champion Beavers are 8-0. Total Dominance, too. Average score about 8-2.
    It'a going to be interesting how they do without Pat Casey going forward, especially recruiting wise. I think the Beavers can still get some of the best players i the country but the fact is Pat Casey is the Nick Saban of college baseball and players want to come play for him so hopefully players will want to come and play for the new head coach.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by chris9341 View Post
    It'a going to be interesting how they do without Pat Casey going forward, especially recruiting wise. I think the Beavers can still get some of the best players i the country but the fact is Pat Casey is the Nick Saban of college baseball and players want to come play for him so hopefully players will want to come and play for the new head coach.
    Without a doubt. Without a doubt. The current coach inherited easily the best pitching staff in baseball (despite what Sea Ray's Vols are doing). He can ride that to another World Series appearance. But, it was Casey's coaching that won them the three titles.

Casey recruited well, but the dearth of talent has always been local thanks to a strong youth baseball attitude in Oregon and Washington for about a 25-year period, which I feel is over so that pipeline will dry up. It has waned some, so recruiting outside the NW has been more important lately and will be even moreso, while Oregon sapped some of the talent when they started up their baseball program after it got the death penalty from Title IX; and, Casey not being the recruiter (understand he's an "advisor" of somesort) as you say, could take a major toll making the program irrelevant again, eventually.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-02-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    One hit in the first game. Reid Detmers struck out 14 in 8 innings.
    And the Dukes lost the second game 11-1. I'm starting to regret posting in this thread.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Now I'm hankering for some dogs at Jess' Lunch.
    Followed by ice cream at Kline's. I also miss JM's, the type of grungy dive bar that every college town either has or should have.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

12. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Without a doubt. Without a doubt. The current coach inherited easily the best pitching staff in baseball (despite what Sea Ray's Vols are doing). He can ride that to another World Series appearance. But, it was Casey's coaching that won them the three titles.

Casey recruited well, but the dearth of talent has always been local thanks to a strong youth baseball attitude in Oregon and Washington for about a 25-year period, which I feel is over so that pipeline will dry up. It has waned some, so recruiting outside the NW has been more important lately and will be even moreso, while Oregon sapped some of the talent when they started up their baseball program after it got the death penalty from Title IX; and, Casey not being the recruiter (understand he's an "advisor" of somesort) as you say, could take a major toll making the program irrelevant again, eventually.

Another way to look at it is say the Beavers win the college world series again or go deep in the college world series this year which is going to be a lot tougher this year with as many players as we lost and even with that still have a great roster, then I think players will want to come to a winning program. They will most likely have the first player selected number one overall this year. Just keep winning and the players will keep coming.

Quote Originally Posted by chris9341 View Post
    Another way to look at it is say the Beavers win the college world series again or go deep in the college world series this year which is going to be a lot tougher this year with as many players as we lost and even with that still have a great roster, then I think players will want to come to a winning program. They will most likely have the first player selected number one overall this year. Just keep winning and the players will keep coming.
    The history of winning is long now.

Noticed only one Beavers' Pitcher ranked in the Top-75 players for the 2019 Draft and that was about 40. That will change by the time the draft occurs. They should see two in the 1st/Supplemental 1st. Their Cather is 8th and I think he goes Top-4.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

After a three game sweep of Oakland University, Miami redhawks are now 7-3 on the season. Less impressive than it seems as Oakland is now 0-10
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

And the Dukes lost the second game 11-1. I'm starting to regret posting in this thread.
    Game three was 1-0. So one run in 27 innings for JMU. Obviously, that's bad, but Louisville has great pitching They just hit ike...well, something not good.

Well the Vols won another 3 games this weekend. I guess you can't win them all unless you win the first 12, huh?

The problem is the Vols didn't shut anyone out...but I guess we'll forgive that since they did score 23 runs. Looks like the baseball program, like the other BB (basketball) program is in good shape.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Hoosiers got a win over UConn yesterday......right now they have College of Charleston down 5-3 in the 8th.

Oregon State has a record of 121-17-1 since the start of the 2017 season.

Turn Off Ads?