Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Note the Rangers, Marlins and Mariners started the offseason with less than $50M committed for 2022 giving each of those teams significant payflex.

The Reds were at $123M (or $105M without picking up the Muley and Barnhardt options). The Reds apparently burned their payflex for 2020-2022 with the 2019 free agency shopping spree.

The Tigers seem to be the only midmarket team punching above their weight in the last week's free agency silly period. You've got the top 6 markets + Toronto (a top 7-8 North American market) doling out all the contracts.

Unless you want to get excited about the 4/44M Matz contract with the Cardinals. That's basically the amount the Reds owe Shogo and Moose for the next two years.
    Exactly. Reds payflex is already invested in sub replacement players. Critical that they avoid compounding the mess this offseason.

2. Likes:

oregonred (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Exactly. Reds payflex is already invested in sub replacement players. Critical that they avoid compounding the mess this offseason.
    Perfectly said. The Reds spent most of 2014-current buried in zero payflex.

And they are also in the backend of the last few Votto $25M years. They have to pay the piper without anything on the field to show for some bad contract and management decisions. It sucks but the market size constrains buying their way out of the lack of payflex mess of their own doing.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    If the Reds are going to spend that kind of money on Castellanos, I think I’d rather spend a little less to get Chris Ta ylor for CF and try to address the corner OF spot via trade.
    Or just keep Miley. There's no way Castellanos' price drops low enough for the Reds to be interested.. Someone will offer him more than 2 years at 4 million per year.
    He's a lock to get at least as much money as Sterling Marte, which is way more than the Reds would spend.
    I know you are talking hypothetically, I am just rolling my eyes that someone actually thinks it's possible for Cast to come back to Cincy. Just like people thought there was a chance Bauer would come back. Not going to happen.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 11-30-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

Hubba (11-30-2021)

obby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

MLB's deadline to tender contracts for the 2022 season is 8 p.m. tonight.

#Reds have 10 arbitration-eligible players: Tyler Naquin, Luis Cessa, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Jesse Winker, Amir Garrett, Kyle Farmer, Jeff Hoffman, Lucas Sims and Nick Senzel.

Imagine if the Reds non-tender Castillo
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Imagine a hundred foot catfish coming out of the river and eating a school bus full of kids on a field trip

12. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-30-2021),Hubba (11-30-2021),Old school 1983 (11-30-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Imagine a hundred foot catfish coming out of the river and eating a school bus full of kids on a field trip
    Now imagine that it’s an albino catfish.

14. Likes:

westofyou (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You named something impossible.

My scenario is unlikely, but after watching the Reds recently, certainly not impossible.

Its easy to do if you try.
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion, too
    Imagine all the people
    Livin' life in peace
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

17. Likes:

Danny Serafini (11-30-2021),wally post (11-30-2021),wlf WV (11-30-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Now imagine that it’s an albino catfish.
    Imagine it's an albino catfish named Hunter

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2021)

You named something impossible.

My scenario is unlikely, but after watching the Reds recently, certainly not impossible.
    Your scenario is actually pretty impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Your scenario is actually pretty impossible.
    I would have said the same thing about Wade Miley being picked up off waivers 2 months ago.

Just to be clear: i don’t think this is happening, just saw his name on the list and was like “ya never know the depths of how cheap this org can go”

I would have said the same thing about Wade Miley being picked up off waivers 2 months ago.

Just to be clear: i don’t think this is happening, just saw his name on the list and was like “ya never know the depths of how cheap this org can go”
    We do know that it is not going to happen. There are multiple, reliable reports that other teams have made offers for Castillo that the Reds have turned down, and that the Reds asking price is for Castillo is sky high. The Reds are not going to non-tender a player when there are multiple offers for him that they are turning down.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-30-2021)

What list? N/M I went back and sure enough there he was.
    Last edited by Hubba; 11-30-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

They may trade him for what we perceive to be a crap package, but I can’t envision a scenario where any team, no matter how cheap, would ever non-tender Castillo given his present value.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-30-2021)

Turn Off Ads?