Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Free Agents Still Available, Per WAR (By Position)

Top Free Agents Still Available, Per WAR (By Position)

Who's left that you want, RedsZone?

The following is a list of available free agents by position, ranked by WAR. Top five spots only.

Starting Pitcher
    Ivan Nova
    Jason Vargas
    Tom Milone
    Rich Hill
    Homer Bailey
    Comment: The well has pretty much run dry, though injury bounce-back candidates include some interesting arms (T. Walker, D. Salazar, J. Eickhoff).

Relief Arms
    Andrew Cashner
    Will Harris
    Steve Cishek
    Brandon Kintzler
    Sam Dyson
    Daniel Hudson
    Josh Tomlin
    Comment: Lots of older arms, some still effective. Cashner earned most of his WAR as a starter. Harris would be a big help, but he'll likely cost a bunch to pry away from the Astros. Hudson was really effective late, but is trying to iron things out with Washington.

Catcher
    Robinson Chirinos
    Comment: Only catcher with more than 2/3 of a WAR earned last year. Could be a solid part-timer. Reds were known to be interested early.

First Base
    Mitch Moreland
    Comment: It's a good thing the Reds aren't in the market for a 1B. Ick.

Second Base
    Cesar Hernandez
    Jonathan Schoop
    Comment: There are a bunch of guys that could help a team as a backup, but Moustakas has a history of playing 150+ games.

Third Base
    Josh Donaldson
    Todd Frazier
    Yolmer Sanchez
    Pablo Sandoval
    Comment: Donaldson the only difference-maker (6+ WAR) still available on the free agent market. Frazier could be really interesting as a four-corner utility guy/ LF RH platoon mate. He'll make sense at a specific price. (Say, $4M?)

Shortstop
    Jose Iglesias
    Comment: The Reds already picked their SS. It wasn't Iglesias. No wonder they're looking into making trades.

Outfielders
    Kole Calhoun
    Marcell Ozuna
    Hunter Pence
    Eric Thames
    Cameron Maybin
    Comment: Castellanos is at 1.23 WAR due to defense, Dickerson at 0.46 due to injury. Souza as a three-position backup could be cost-beneficial.

I like one of Souza, Dickerson, or Frazier as a cheap source of power and a possible platoon partner with Winker/ injury backup. If either of the first two were more than brutal as a CF backup, they'd be more desirable, though I suspect Frazier is undervalued at present. Will Harris would be a nice bullpen add-- he has a long history of missing bats and throwing strikes. If Cesar Hernandez could play SS effectively, I'd like him too.

What you got?

2. Likes:

North (12-24-2019),REDREAD (12-23-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Top Free Agents Still Available, Per WAR (By Position)

Souza will trip over the dugout steps and rupture his face, waist, breast, chest, neck and head during the first day of ST.

We'll probably grab a Hernandez type when the Lindor dream collapses officially.

I'd love to see us get Castellanos. Dickerson if we can't get NC.

Bullpen choices look meh, although I would like to have Harris.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Give me one of Castellanos, Dickerson or Ozuna and another reliever and call it an offseason. Prefer Castellanos.

Schoop has signed with the Detroit Tigers.

I want Ozuna. The competition for his services seems diminished, and I'm hoping a four year deal gets it done.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Betances as a potential impact reliever. Collin McHugh is my favorite pitching target left, but he's probably not healthy.

Robbie Erlin stands out on the free agent reliever list. He has a career 3.59 FIP in over 300 IP and is only 29 years old. It doesn't help his cause that he's a lefty with inverted splits due to his soft-tossing, curveball and changeup ways.

I hope they bring somebody like Eickhoff in on a minor league deal as rotation depth. A veteran catcher to stash in AAA makes sense too...

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't mention Betances as a potential impact reliever.
    Overlooked him in the analysis.

Yeah, he'd be a fine get.

One of the top remaining OFs, Chirinos & a fairly modest bullpen signing.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Overlooked him in the analysis.

Yeah, he'd be a fine get.
    I was a proponent of signing Betances since the off-season started but I recently saw a lot of chatter from Yankee fans believing he's not healthy and that's the reason the Yanks have shown virtually no interest in bringing him back.
    Like last off-season, I feel like adding at least one more solid bullpen arm should be a top priority.
    Hopefully they can land Shogo or Castellanos at a price that leaves room for 2 more acquisitions.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-23-2019)

Cesar Hernandez to Indians. One year 6.5 Mil.
    Solid signing.

Reds should still be in market for the following:

One of Ozuna, Castellanos, Dickerson, and Akiyama
    AND
    One of Will Harris, Steve Cishek, Brandon Kintzler, and Daniel Hudson.

Any other upgrades will have to come via trade at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Souza will trip over the dugout steps and rupture his face, waist, breast, chest, neck and head during the first day of ST.
    I ruptured my face last offseason reading proposed Reds' trades on RZ. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

15. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (12-24-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Is Betances out there still? Probably him

Reds were rumored to be interested in Craig Stammen for the bullpen.

He seems as good as some of those mentioned. Sinkerballer.

What about Puig? (ducks down and covers head)

19. Likes:

Benihana (12-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    What about Puig? (ducks down and covers head)
    Puig at a certain price point makes all kinds of sense.

He has monster upside. A Reds' OF wherein Winker is a platoon bat and the other three divide up what's left strikes me as a smart use of depth that limits the possible injury risks of both Winker and Senzel, while protecting Cincinnati from Aquino's floor.

That said, any OF who can (kind of) play CF and one of the other two spots would be fine. And a LH hitter would probably be better.

21. Likes:

Benihana (12-24-2019)

For the life of me, I can’t figure out the “anyone but Puig” camp. He had a rough start to the season. After that he was fantastic. He won’t cost much in years or dollars- not nearly as much as Ozuna or Castellanos, and he’ll probably give similar all around production. The fans love him, he plays great defense, and he is a known commodity. Perhaps some say the last point is part of the issue (and it is notable we seem to be talking to every FA OF other than him). But the strange thing is I do recall hearing of Williams’ interest in retaining him just before they dealt him at the deadline.

People would honestly rather pay 5/90 or 5/100 for Ozuna than sign Puig to 1/8 with an option for a second year? I don’t get it at all.
    Go BLUE!!!

23. Likes:

Big Klu (12-24-2019),icehole3 (12-24-2019),JFLegal (12-25-2019),TheBigLebowski (12-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?