Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellanos opts out

Re: Castellanos opts out

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    This is the heart of the problem, but it's not likely to get said very often on RZ. I've no problem whatever with the Votto contract; he's been and is worth every penny of it. But 35 million to what were last year sub-replacement players is the problem, and what Krall has to deal with. For people who wonder why the FO doesn't take the risk on Wade Miley's 2022 or attempt to bring back Castellanos more seriously, the numbers here tell the primary story. The first thing you have to hope is that they don't make another equally stupid desperation move like the deal with Moustakas.
    I get what you are saying but it's not just a criticism of Krall, it's a criticism of the entire front office (including the ownership group). They approved the spending, then demanded it be cut one offseason later (then again 2 offseasons later). Then there is so little flex that they can't take those risks. For example, keeping Iglesias this past season could have meant a playoff appearance but they couldn't stomach spending $9M

2. Likes:

757690 (11-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    When they were signed who would have predicted Moose would be chronically injured and Suarez forget hits other than HRs existed? Shogo was a risk. The other two don’t represent bad money management. They represent “crap happens.”
    Disagree entirely on Moustakas as I did with the consensus on here at the time. It was a ridiculous overpay for a player his age and with a limited skill set. Turned out in utterly predictable way.

"So Fla Red"

There was a lot of criticism on the 4/64M contract by Moose

Also failure by the organization to project India as a starting 2B by early 2021

6. Likes:

757690 (11-14-2021),HokieRed (11-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    There was a lot of criticism on the 4/64M contract by Moose

Also failure by the organization to project India as a starting 2B by early 2021
    I actually like Moose and think he will rebound in 2022.

However, the Reds should never pay full retail on an average at best player, especially on a 4 year deal. They need to do what Krall has been saying they are trying to do, stay committed to player development.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

HokieRed (11-14-2021)

"So Fla Red"

How are they going to split AB's between India, Suarez and Moose...

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    So which is it from ownership?

Greed or incompetence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...i_Reds_seasons

Because either way... The results stink.

I keep hearing the word "rebuild." Thing is though, the Reds haven't won a playoff series since 1995. The "re" part of that word is insulting to any fan even remotely paying attention. I also keep hearing how they spend middle of the pack compared to the rest of MLB. Fine. All that means is they are REALLY REALLY bad at their jobs, but:
    a) They own the company
    b) the company they own is a monopoly, can't fail, and continues to appreciate no matter what they do

Good times.
    M2 and others have hit on it. The Reds have vacillated in the Cast era between rebuilding, scouting and development, International signings and opening the strings for FA and some poor contract extenstions. Failure to plan for payflex when the window presents itself and bad contracts (Bailey especially and now Moose) have been a killer.

The 2010-2014 window should have yielded at least one WS appearance and multiple playoff series wins. That would have at least giving us something to hang our hats onto.

I would make virtually every FO and development hire from the Rays, Brewers, Indians and A's organizations. The Reds need to take all the best practices from small market, successful organizations and deploy them without altering course over the next decade+. The Reds have more resources than any of those four teams with the newer TV contract and extended market reach with ~100 miles.

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-14-2021),HokieRed (11-14-2021),redsmetz (11-18-2021),Revering4Blue (11-14-2021)

By lobbying Manfred to allow India to hit in both the 2nd and 3rd base spot in the lineup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ought to be no splitting regarding India. Let the other two find at-bats some other way.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (11-14-2021)

Disagree entirely on Moustakas as I did with the consensus on here at the time. It was a ridiculous overpay for a player his age and with a limited skill set. Turned out in utterly predictable way.
    Who predicted he’d end up hurt? I heard a lot of underperformance with assumed health.

The Reds need to understand that when spending big on FA, crap will happen. The Reds have less margin of error. That’s why I wasn’t a fan of throwing money at any and all takers.

I'm guessing they're hoping for the DH to finally happen in the National League.

More likely, they're looking to add a prospect or two to a big contract to get out from under it.

What'd be smart is to deal Moustakas for an equally large contract of an underperforming player in an area of need or to piggyback Shogo's $8M and take on a bit more of an onerous salary.

Justin Upton, Jason Heyward, and maybe Wil Myers work as OF. David Price, Patrick Corbin, Chris Sale, and Madison Bumgarner make some sense in terms of starting pitching (especially if Gray, Mahle, and/or Castillo are dealt).

IMO, targeting Heyward and a relief arm (Adam Morgan?) with a Shogo, Moustakas, and money saved makes all kinds of sense for both squads.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 11-14-2021 at 03:05 PM.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (11-21-2021),MoneyInTheBank (11-14-2021),Revering4Blue (11-14-2021)

I'd like to see the Reds make a fair offer to Adam Duvall actually. If his asking price is 1/10mill I'd do that. Duvall as a power hitting RH addition to a Senzel, Winker, Naquin, Friedl, Barrero OF pool would be pretty good I think. He'd also drastically improve the corner OF defense.

19. Likes:

DocRed (11-16-2021),goreds2 (11-21-2021),REDREAD (11-14-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Ought to be no splitting regarding India. Let the other two find at-bats some other way.
    Exactly which shows the lack of roster and organization flex planning having a ROY 2B, 7 yr/100M contract and stuck for two more years with a declining 3B/2B to a 4/64M contract...

Suarez was signed years ago, when India wasn’t a consideration. Even when Moose signed, India was not an elite prospect, and Suarez was still at the top of his game.

Now, obviously, we can see it was a mistake to sign Moose, but India’s surprising rise has contributed to that problem. I’d rather have India as a ROY adding to the problem than have him as a AAA guy who might be good

Exactly which shows the lack of roster and organization flex planning having a ROY 2B, 7 yr/100M contract and stuck for two more years with a declining 3B/2B to a 4/64M contract...

22. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-14-2021),Chip R (11-15-2021),HokieRed (11-15-2021),MikeS21 (11-18-2021),Old school 1983 (11-14-2021),redsmetz (11-18-2021),Revering4Blue (11-14-2021),WrongVerb (11-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He actually says he likes the organization, though. Thought that was odd.

I bet he’s pissed they didn’t add more at the deadline.

If the Reds weren’t cheapasses I truly think he would come back. Alas, as I predicted a week or so ago - I think he’s going to sign with Miami.
    Free agent Nick Castellanos is drawing interest from the #Marlins and #SFGiants, among others, as I reported a short time ago on @MLBNetwork. Castellanos, 29, is a graduate of Archbishop McCarthy High School in Southwest Ranches, Fla., about 25 miles from LoanDepot Park. @MLB
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Nick won't play RF for the Giants, I'd say we should count on that. That's a big arse OF there and with Belt and Wade Jr he ain't playing first. That said if he does play OF it will be an adventure

25. Likes:

redsmetz (11-18-2021),Ron Madden (11-18-2021),Roy Tucker (11-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?