Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Casali vs Barnhart

Casali vs Barnhart

Fill me in on why TB should get double the at bats of CC.

Platoon? Contract? Familiarity with staff? Defense? Favoring home grown players?

I haven't watched much when CC plays, so I can only speak of his stats, not style.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Casali vs Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zinger View Post
    Fill me in on why TB should get double the at bats of CC.

Platoon? Contract? Familiarity with staff? Defense? Favoring home grown players?

I haven't watched much when CC plays, so I can only speak of his stats, not style.
    This is a good question. I like Barnhart OK I guess. But I think his perceived value greatly exceeds his actual value. If the Reds could deal him for what it seems everyone thinks he's worth while handing the catching duties to a Casali (65%)/Farmer (35%) tandem, I'd be perfectly happy with that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-04-2019),wlf WV (05-06-2019)

Barnhart is being paid to be a starter so he shall be.
    Go Gators!

The Reds pitcher staff is own the league’s best so far this year. I wouldn’t be messing around with whose is catching them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

DatRedsFan (05-06-2019),DocRed (05-04-2019),GAC (05-07-2019),goldglover9 (05-06-2019),HUHUH (05-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds pitcher staff is own the league’s best so far this year. I wouldn’t be messing around with whose is catching them.
    There is that perceived value rearing it's head again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There is that perceived value rearing it's head again.
    If the pitchers want to pitch to one catcher over another, I’m listening to them. Barnhart got his job because pitchers wanted to pitch when he was first called up.

11. Likes:

goldglover9 (05-06-2019)

This is how Bell viewed the two tonight...

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  159.6 KB

13. Likes:

757690 (05-04-2019),DocRed (05-04-2019),Qball (06-08-2019),Spanky (05-04-2019),The Operator (05-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Isn't he the same guy who caught the league's worst last year?

15. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-06-2019),Old school 1983 (05-04-2019),Qball (06-08-2019),RiverRat13 (05-04-2019)

What is amazing is how much better Barnharts pitch framing is this year over two last year when he is catching better pitchers. Maybe the pitch framing stats are not accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    There you go again, bringing logic to a narrative fight.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Good point.

Not saying Tucker is responsible for the pitching turnaround. But now that the Reds have quality pitchers, I wouldn’t mess with their success too much.

If you look at the complete picture of how both are hitting. There is not much difference in value. Their obp is the same. Barnhart walks way more and strikeout less. Casali has higher average but that is do to much higher babip. I think casali also gets the benefit of playing against beneficial match ups. His weaknesses get exposed more the more he plays. The giants show that they knew how to get casali out. It is likely the reason that he has been a fringe MLB ballplayer

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    If you look at the complete picture of how both are hitting. There is not much difference in value. Their obp is the same. Barnhart walks way more and strikeout less. Casali has higher average but that is do to much higher babip. I think casali also gets the benefit of playing against beneficial match ups. His weaknesses get exposed more the more he plays. The giants show that they knew how to get casali out. It is likely the reason that he has been a fringe MLB ballplayer
    I think there is probably truth to this, but Barnhart is viewed as a solid primary catcher and Casali a back-up on the edge of being pushed off the roster. If the actual production is similar, why not cash in on that perceived difference and just play the other guy and get the same production along with whatever Barnhart could bring back in a deal? Teams were scrounging for Catchers in January/February. Maybe Barnhart bringd back a decent fix for other problems. Too late by now. My guess is the rest of the league will catch on.

So, when do we give Farmer some starts behind the plate? Barnhart with a .634 OPS. Casali also below .700. Farmer at almost 1.000 in a limited role. The reds have Suarez, a mainstay, at 3B. They have about 6 Million guys who can play 2B (glad they figured it out and moved Senzel to the pencil thin OF). Catcher is a place that might get a jolt from adding Farmer to the mix.

22. Likes:

adkindo (05-05-2019),DocRed (05-06-2019),Old school 1983 (05-05-2019),Ron Madden (05-06-2019),The Operator (05-06-2019),Tom Servo (05-05-2019)

Catching is a defense first position. The most defense former position on the field besides pitcher.

The Reds are actually middle of the pack in terms of offensive production from the catcher position in the majors right now. Ranked 15 out of 30.

As long as they are providing solid defense, and it does look that way so far, I’m not worried one bit about the Reds catchers, nor am I changing anything.

Turn Off Ads?