Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: 9/6/06 - Reds vs. Giants Game Thread

Re: 9/6/06 - Reds vs. Giants Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    So who is going to replace Dunn if hes traded? Denorfia, Hopper or Wise?
    Deno is so good he replaces both Dunn and Kearns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

So now we are back to the "Dunn sucks" stuff again?

Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    What worries me is that after watching the string of mostly nothings that WK has acquired since the break I am not sure he knows how to identify somthings.
    You mean guys like Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips, Dave Ross and Scott Hatteberg?

Other than Kearns/Lopez, he hasn't traded anything of consequence. He spent the second half of the season trying to piece together enough to get this team to the postseason. Doesn't look like it's going to work, but it's not like he wildly overpaid for guys like Guardado, Lohse (both of whom have performed well), Cormier, Franklin, etc.

It's fine if you want to knock him for the Kearns/Lopez deal. It didn't turn out as well as anyone hoped. But Krivsky deserves credit for the great deals he made also. The second-half churn? That's not worth getting worked up about.

I wouldn't be surprised if he deals Dunn this offseason. As others have said, it's almost a sure thing that either Griffey or Dunn goes, and Griffey is virtually untradeable. If the deal improves the pitching and defense, it probably will be a fair trade that gets hammered by the fantasy baseball "experts."

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    So who is going to replace Dunn if hes traded? Denorfia, Hopper or Wise?
    If you dont pick up a big RBI guy to replace Dunn then we will be seeing guys like Griffey, Encarnacion, Aurilia being walked in key situations.

Reds will have to pick up an outfielder who can hit. Either in the trade or in free agency. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    If Narron or Krivsky HAVE had the conversation I speak of with Dunn, then kudos to them. If not, that's a real issue because those conversations do need to take place when culture swings happen.
    Well, all we've seen reported is that Team Clark said that around the time of the Kearns trade, Wayne (or someone on the Reds) had the big heart to heart with Adam and he supposedly saw the light.

I'm not sure Team Clark exactly reported what they told Dunn to do.. Was it focus on defense? Or something else? I don't know.

Again, I'm not majorly down on Dunn. I just think he's miscasted as a cleanup hitter. But I wonder if the Reds braintrust is down on him. As someone else said, it's pretty clear what Wayne values the most, and I don't think Dunn is it. That's not a condemnation of Dunn, just my guess on what's going through Wayne's mind.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I will party the day that Dunn is traded, I just wonder what his trade value really is. I have a feeling that its not as high as most on this board think it is.
    Be careful what you wish for. Washington probably will offer a couple more Majewskis, and Wayne will be tempted.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    We'll see how WK reacts without the pressure of a penant race on his mind. I for one am anxious to see what he comes up with.
    I for one, will be interested to see how he dumps some of the garbage he has accumulated. That and dumping some Milton and Griffey contracts on some poor souls.

That will be more exciting to me than anything he collects in return or adds via FA.

This team isn't a contender in 2007. Might as well dump Milton, free up some $$ and negotiate a longterm deal (Harang), find anyone in the AL that will take Griffey, and move Dunn to 1B.

Maybe by 2007, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, Dunn (1B), EE, BP, and a veteran Denorfia will be the foundation of something, as long as Arroyo and Harang are still around and WK has not completely Majewskied the bullpen makeover.

By the way, don't forget that Dunn's OPS has dropped by 30 points each of the last two seasons. He's still productive, but he's trending down fairly significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think it's a mortal lock that most will not like the return for Dunn.
    I bet about half will like the trade, whatever it is. Think about it. If you did a poll last year and said "Would you trade Kearns and Lopez for two relief pitchers?" The response would've been an overwhelming "NO". Yet, at the time of the trade, I think about 1/3 liked it, 1/3 hated it, and 1/3 was undecided. (I think that was the poll result.)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Washington probably will offer a couple more Majewskis, and Wayne will be tempted.
    Trade him to the Nationals for Ramon Ortiz and Ryan Wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I for one, will be interested to see how he dumps some of the garbage he has accumulated. That and dumping some Milton and Griffey contracts on some poor souls.

That will be more exciting to me than anything he collects in return or adds via FA.

This team isn't a contender in 2007. Might as well dump Milton, free up some $$ and negotiate a longterm deal (Harang), find anyone in the AL that will take Griffey, and move Dunn to 1B.

Maybe by 2007, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, Dunn (1B), EE, BP, and a veteran Denorfia will be the foundation of something, as long as Arroyo and Harang are still around and WK has not completely Majewskied the bullpen makeover.

Dunn isn't going to 1st base.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    You mean guys like Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips, Dave Ross and Scott Hatteberg?
    the caveat was from July on. I for one am firmly on the side of Ross and Hatty as one year flukes.

He gave up something for Arroyo, and Phillips is exactly the kind of player you take a chance on (young guy who costs nothing and could benefit from a change of scenery).

But from July on he became a GM that mostly was not able to distinguish talent from luck and thus you end up dealing for guys like Cormier and Majewski(and I am not sold on Bray either, there is nothing in his resume to suggest he will be anything other than ordinary). And for those trades the Reds paid a price.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    By the way, don't forget that Dunn's OPS has dropped by 30 points each of the last two seasons. He's still productive, but he's trending down fairly significantly.
    NL OPS dropped 12 points 2004 -2005 that's a factor.

a 30 point OPS drop could be entirely random. Having said that I think this year has to be categorized as a minor disappointment for Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds will have to pick up an outfielder who can hit. Either in the trade or in free agency. No doubt about it.
    IMO, they already need to pick up an OF. Freel is not the answer everyday.

It would've been great if he could've maintained that monster OBP playing every day, but I really question if he can now. I don't want him being the starting RF on opening day. At bare minimum get a guy to share the position with him (and not Deno).

Turn Off Ads?