Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Re: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There is almost always a team of scrubs like the Brewers that gives a contender fits. Look at the way they've won games that led to those series wins. Two home run robs by Gomez, Lucroy walk off against Chapman, Peralta spinning a shutout. Then yesterday, a team great at not walking people walks people and gets burnt. Its just a flukey thing.
    The problem didn't start with the Brewers series. The Reds have lost 5 or 6 consecutive series to teams with sub-.500 records. That's not a fluke. That's a team that isn't stepping up when they need to.

2. Turn Off Ads?

On the other hand, they are now doing well against the >.500 teams.

Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The problem didn't start with the Brewers series. The Reds have lost 5 or 6 consecutive series to teams with sub-.500 records. That's not a fluke. That's a team that isn't stepping up when they need to.
    Wasn't there an outcry earlier that they couldn't win against the good teams? At least they're consistent with their inconsistency...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Sorry, but fact check - 4 series.

It still sucks, but when you are saying they have lost 6 straight series yada yada yada, I had to check it out to believe it.

Not looking to take anything away from Gomez, well yes I am.....

But were those "amazing" catches, or were they (the Bruce and Votto would have been homers) lofty fly balls that were just going to clear the fence that any decent CF would snag? Especially Votto's, he camped out under that one.

I would consider it beyond yours or mine ability to explain it, but I certainly do not know how a team controls this "stepping up" thing in MLB baseball that a vocal minority want them to accomplish. Maybe Dusty should make them do laps after ugly losses like yesterday. And Arroyo has to do 20 extra for walking the bases loaded. And he doesn't get his hot dog and juice box after the game.

As others pointed out, the story line of the team was "beating up on bad teams, can't beat good teams, maybe they aren't that good." Now, they need to "step it up against bad teams" because they are suddenly beating the good teams and struggling against the sub .500 teams. If I'm confused, I'm sure the team is as well. But I bet looking at that .500 plateau and making predictions is the start of bad rationalizing.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-16-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would consider it beyond yours or mine ability to explain it, but I certainly do not know how a team controls this "stepping up" thing in MLB baseball that a vocal minority want them to accomplish.
    I sure hope it isn't a vocal minority of fans who want the Reds to step up at crunch time. I would think every Reds fan would want that.

I sure hope it isn't a vocal minority of fans who want the Reds to step up at crunch time. I would think every Reds fan would want that.
    I want the Reds to win. However, I am not of the opinion that there is some force they can tap into to make it happen when they want it to, such as "step up at crunch time." And then, even if they could, then what if the other team tapped into that force?

But then maybe that explains yesterday's game. The lowly Brewers tapped into the force Friday and late in the game Sunday. The force started making Arroyo's normally reliable pitches float out of the strikezone (maybe because they are slow pitches, which is why low 90's LeCure was also affected), then the force interrupted Bruce's ability to make the catch in right AND kept his home run ball from going 1 foot further so that Gomez, who had really tapped into the force this weekend (probably transmitted through kissing the bat) could catch it.......and get a bunch of bloop hits all weekend (the force did not translate to 500 foot homers this weekend, just bloop singles).
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Teams and individuals have been stepping up at crunch time since the invention of sports. It isn't some recently discovered phenomenon. The Reds just did it last week against the Cards and Dodgers, and hopefully they've got more of that left in the tank.

Teams and individuals have been stepping up at crunch time since the invention of sports. It isn't some recently discovered phenomenon. The Reds just did it last week against the Cards and Dodgers, and hopefully they've got more of that left in the tank.
    People have been using such notions as an explanation for timely performances since the invention of sports, I'll give you that much. That doesn't mean its a phenomenon that exists. "More heart," "wanted it more," "clutch performance," "big game player," etc. and so forth, is a bunch of hooey or malarkey, whichever longstanding synonym for absurdity that you prefer.

12. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-16-2013),Tom Servo (09-16-2013)

Agreed, overused cliches have existed since the invention of sports.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-16-2013)

OK, I apparently got caught up in someone's trolling. You guys have fun with that.

OK, I apparently got caught up in someone's trolling. You guys have fun with that.
    I know what you're talking about. Why is Peyton Manning great during the regular season but his performance diminishes in the playoffs? On the other hand, why is Eli decent during the regular season, but his performance greatly improves during the post season. Presure impacts everyone in different ways. I see it every day, in every walk of life. Call this phenominon what you will.

Which is not to say the Redlegs recent showing is due to an inability to handle pressure. If anything, they're responding to the Selig post season play-in by being too lackadaisical..

18. Likes:

New York Red (09-16-2013)

If that is directed at me, I have no idea what you consider trolling. I guess disagreeing with your worldview of the psychology of sports is "trolling." Perhaps you better review what a word means before resorting to name calling.

Turn Off Ads?