Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

How did we get a Rich Rod rant going today? Dude got fired a decade ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    How did we get a Rich Rod rant going today? Dude got fired a decade ago.
    It began in the previous incarnation of the thread once the question of whether or not Michigan would ever go outside of the family for another HC after RichRod's tenure was posed.

The correct answer, which I'm sure that we ALL can agree upon:

Yes, they should.

And yes, they will.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    It began in the previous incarnation of the thread once the question of whether or not Michigan would ever go outside of the family for another HC after RichRod's tenure was posed.

The correct answer, which I'm sure that we ALL can agree upon:

Yes, they should.

And yes, they will.
    Ahh ok. It was just such a well thought out post to be out of the blue, but without context it made me laugh.

Anyway...I'm not sure I fully agree that Michigan is a top tier job. It's similar to Texas, where there is a lot of resources and on the surface seems great, but the underlying stuff is crippling. I'm honestly surprised that Harbaugh hasn't really succeed there. They don't develop recruits. His QBs have been mediocre to terrible.

Michigan can't really afford to miss on another coach, but they probably should take a chance on a younger coach with midwest ties. They need to be landing all the 4 stars they can and develop them. More or less abandoning Ohio to go grab 3 stars in New England is just bizarre.

Ahh ok. It was just such a well thought out post to be out of the blue, but without context it made me laugh.

Anyway...I'm not sure I fully agree that Michigan is a top tier job. It's similar to Texas, where there is a lot of resources and on the surface seems great, but the underlying stuff is crippling. I'm honestly surprised that Harbaugh hasn't really succeed there. They don't develop recruits. His QBs have been mediocre to terrible.

Michigan can't really afford to miss on another coach, but they probably should take a chance on a younger coach with midwest ties. They need to be landing all the 4 stars they can and develop them. More or less abandoning Ohio to go grab 3 stars in New England is just bizarre.
    When Kentucky, let me repeat, KENTUCKY has recruited Michigan and landed four to five star recruits, something is really wrong.

Marquan McCall and Justin Rogers have been huge gets for us. You’d think Michigan or Michigan State would have worked to lock down the top level talent in their state.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

I think Michigan and Texas both are right there in that top tier of college football coaching jobs. I do not want to start listing them....but there are probably more than 5 and less than 10 jobs that are elite. It is not that they can always get their guy, but they can always get him to pick up the phone. For example, Lincoln Riley would not likely leave Oklahoma (and I do not consider Oklahoma a elite tier position) for Michigan, but he would take their call and listen to a degree. Riley is not taking the call from WVU, Indiana or Virginia Tech....at least not in a formal manner where he would have a discussion with them.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think Michigan and Texas both are right there in that top tier of college football coaching jobs. I do not want to start listing them....but there are probably more than 5 and less than 10 jobs that are elite. It is not that they can always get their guy, but they can always get him to pick up the phone. For example, Lincoln Riley would not likely leave Oklahoma (and I do not consider Oklahoma a elite tier position) for Michigan, but he would take their call and listen to a degree. Riley is not taking the call from WVU, Indiana or Virginia Tech....at least not in a formal manner where he would have a discussion with them.
    Your WVU bias is showing if you don’t think Oklahoma is elite tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Your WVU bias is showing if you don’t think Oklahoma is elite tier.
    I LOVE Oklahoma compared to what I think of Texas....and I am no fan of Michigan or Ohio State. I consider Oklahoma a very good job, just not on the same level as the handful of elite jobs where you have both the historical legacy and generations of boosters that will ensure the program remains on top in regards to facilities....and have remained steady for generations. Take a school like OK State who had one of the best boosters in the country...and many other deep pocket supporters from the oil industry....but there is an ebb and flow to that support and it does not go back generations to the point that it guarantees generations of deep pocket boosters in the future. Texas has wealthy families that will send their offspring to Austin over Harvard or Yale....it is a built in right of passage without options, and those offspring will do the same.....and that wealth will continue to support the athletics programs. Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and a few others have that level of commitment....it is an almost impossible place to get to because it takes generations. I fully recognize Oklahoma is a more prestigious job than WVU.....but I do not put it on the highest tier because many wealthy families that reside in Oklahoma still send their kids to Austin.

I will give you an example....throughout the 90's and early 2000's, Florida and Florida State was two of the best college football programs in the country. Their annual game often had National Championship ramifications....and most people would conclude overall, FSU had more success. Still, the FSU job was never considered on the same level as the UF job for similar reasons. UF has old money boosters whose families have been giving for generations....kids and grandkids are almost assigned to attend UF because that is what this wealthy citrus family has did since the early 20th century. Beyond what is taking place on the field today, there is deep tradition and wealth behinds the truly elite jobs.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I LOVE Oklahoma compared to what I think of Texas....and I am no fan of Michigan or Ohio State. I consider Oklahoma a very good job, just not on the same level as the handful of elite jobs where you have both the historical legacy and generations of boosters that will ensure the program remains on top in regards to facilities....and have remained steady for generations. Take a school like OK State who had one of the best boosters in the country...and many other deep pocket supporters from the oil industry....but there is an ebb and flow to that support and it does not go back generations to the point that it guarantees generations of deep pocket boosters in the future. Texas has wealthy families that will send their offspring to Austin over Harvard or Yale....it is a built in right of passage without options, and those offspring will do the same.....and that wealth will continue to support the athletics programs. Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and a few others have that level of commitment....it is an almost impossible place to get to because it takes generations. I fully recognize Oklahoma is a more prestigious job than WVU.....but I do not put it on the highest tier because many wealthy families that reside in Oklahoma still send their kids to Austin.

I will give you an example....throughout the 90's and early 2000's, Florida and Florida State was two of the best college football programs in the country. Their annual game often had National Championship ramifications....and most people would conclude overall, FSU had more success. Still, the FSU job was never considered on the same level as the UF job for similar reasons. UF has old money boosters whose families have been giving for generations....kids and grandkids are almost assigned to attend UF because that is what this wealthy citrus family has did since the early 20th century. Beyond what is taking place on the field today, there is deep tradition and wealth behinds the truly elite jobs.
    Now run that by me again.

Texas is a better job than Michigan. Texas can close the boardes of Texas and have top 5 classes easily. Herman hasn't done that, and things are getting strange down there.

Michigan is a great job, I would put it behind OSU, Bama, Texas, and USC. I think its on par with ND, PSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. Where Michigan has struggled is the state isn't a talent hot bed that it once was, its not as talented as Ohio (their main rival) and they are fighting with MSU for in state recruits. Michigan needs to expand their footprint, and instead of going south into Ohio they have chosen the football hot bed of Connecticut.

The right coach can get Michigan rolling, but I wonder what that look like. Colin Cowherd brings this up about Michigan quite a bit, but they have one 12 win season in 100 years whereas OSU has 7 in the past decade. I think they need to come up with an identity as to what they want to become and attack it from there. They need to start with top 10 recruiting classes year in year out with a top 5 thrown in there every so often. They need to get that QB who can take them to the next level. One of the podcast I listen to talk about how they don't need their Urban Meyer, they need their Jim Tressel.

Anyway...I'm not sure I fully agree that Michigan is a top tier job. It's similar to Texas, where there is a lot of resources and on the surface seems great, but the underlying stuff is crippling.

A lot of people have been saying the same thing about Michigan just not being a top tier program anymore. It's true for now, but I don't believe it's not capable of it. What was Clemson before Swinney? Alabama hadn't been relevant for at least a decade before Saban got there. Same for USC before Carroll.

Like you said, this next coach hire better hit or they could be headed for Nebraska territory.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

What happens if Harbaugh beats OSU this year?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    A lot of people have been saying the same thing about Michigan just not being a top tier program anymore. It's true for now, but I don't believe it's not capable of it. What was Clemson before Swinney? Alabama hadn't been relevant for at least a decade before Saban got there. Same for USC before Carroll.

Like you said, this next coach hire better hit or they could be headed for Nebraska territory.
    Michigan has enough of the ingredients to be a top program. There is some institutional stability issues there, which is why I brought up Texas, because they have the same thing.

The obvious sign of weakness was the Brady Hoke hire. That isn't a hire that a program that Michigan thinks they are makes. The Harbaugh hire seemingly fixed it, but really it was just a bandaid and bandaids don't cure cancer.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What happens if Harbaugh beats OSU this year?
    Honestly that's probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. Instead of moving on they'd probably give him an extension based on false hope.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Texas is a better job than Michigan. Texas can close the boardes of Texas and have top 5 classes easily. Herman hasn't done that, and things are getting strange down there.
    Excellent points. There's no legitimate excuse for Texas to have been underachieving for the past decade or so. If the Longhorns fail to win out this regular season, it could get ugly for Herman.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Michigan is a great job, I would put it behind OSU, Bama, Texas, and USC. I think its on par with ND, PSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. Where Michigan has struggled is the state isn't a talent hot bed that it once was, its not as talented as Ohio (their main rival) and they are fighting with MSU for in state recruits. Michigan needs to expand their footprint, and instead of going south into Ohio they have chosen the football hot bed of Connecticut.

The right coach can get Michigan rolling, but I wonder what that look like. Colin Cowherd brings this up about Michigan quite a bit, but they have one 12 win season in 100 years whereas OSU has 7 in the past decade. I think they need to come up with an identity as to what they want to become and attack it from there. They need to start with top 10 recruiting classes year in year out with a top 5 thrown in there every so often. They need to get that QB who can take them to the next level. One of the podcast I listen to talk about how they don't need their Urban Meyer, they need their Jim Tressel.
    While I generally agree with this, I'll pose this question: Is the USC job a significantly better job - if not a better job at all - than the UCLA job in this day and age? It seems to me that given obvious equal proximity to talent, facilities etc., both CFB and CBB jobs seem equals anymore. The only differences lie with one carrying a stronger football tradition, while the other carrying a stronger basketball tradition. But that and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee.

It just seems to me that the UCLA Bruins are the proverbial poster child for a higher profile CFB program which has drastically underachieved the past 30 years or so.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 11-17-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

If the Michigan Brass whiffs on the next coaching hire, then, yes, they could be heading for Nebraska territory from the standpoint of National program relevance. But Nebraska has a double whammy working against them: They are no longer obviously a top tier program AND the Nebraska job itself is no longer considered a top-tier job.

Clemson, Alabama, USC and Michigan have no need to be concerned about the latter becoming an issue.

Turn Off Ads?