Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Majewski back to 2006 form?

Is Majewski back to 2006 form?

He has been doing much better lately. In 2006 he had a record of 3-2 , a 3.58 ERA, 46 games, 55 1/3 IP, 49 hits, 24 runs , 22 earned, 4hrs, 25 walks, and 34 strikeouts. He has been struggling until the month of August. In this month he is 0-0 with a 3.38 ERA, 9 games, 3 runs, 3 earned( 2 of the runs on HR), 2hr, o walks, and 2 strikeouts. I will be the first to admit it is a small sample size and I will be watching to see what he does the rest of the year. However, if he really is healthy and remains consistant, I think he will help the Reds in the 6th and 7th innings in the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Re: Is Majewski back to 2006 form?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He has been doing much better lately. In 2006 he had a record of 3-2 , a 3.58 ERA, 46 games, 55 1/3 IP, 49 hits, 24 runs , 22 earned, 4hrs, 25 walks, and 34 strikeouts. He has been struggling until the month of August. In this month he is 0-0 with a 3.38 ERA, 9 games, 3 runs, 3 earned( 2 of the runs on HR), 2hr, o walks, and 2 strikeouts. I will be the first to admit it is a small sample size and I will be watching to see what he does the rest of the year. However, if he really is healthy and remains consistant, I think he will help the Reds in the 6th and 7th innings in the future.
    It would be nice to think of an effective group of Burton/Bray/Weathers/Maj going into 08.
    It still scares me watching Maj come into the game though.

If he's back to old form we'll have one of the best bullpens in baseball next season. Our bullpen has been great since the emergence of Bray and Burton. Throw in Gary and probably a talented minor leaguer like Salmon and we could really have something next season.

One thing to remember is that Washington is a different stadium. Fly balls that would be outs in washington are HRs in GABP. Still, as long as he gets ground ball outs he should be OK.

ya one positive is that good bullpens often seem to pop up out of nowhere. (like the '99 bullpen) They didnt have a real shut down type reliever going into the season but Williamson, Graves, Sullivan and more all stepped up.

I never gave up on majewski

The thing about Majewski is that he was not very good during his "good" years with Washington, just lucky. In 2005, whenhe posted a 2.93 ERA, his K/9 was an anemic 5.23, while he also walked 3.87/9, too many considering his lack of K's. He was made to look good by the fact that he only gave up 0.21 HR/9. However, this was done with a HR/FB ratio of 2.2 %, ridiculously lucky even when you consider that he was pitching in RFK.

Last year with the Nationals, where he had a 3.58 ERA before the trade, his peripheral stats were very similar to 2005, and he looked like someone pitching well because of downright luck. After he was traded to the Reds his K/9, BB/9 and HR/9 were negligibly different, yet his ERA rose to 8.40. He was actually unlucky with the Reds, as his BABIP against was a luck equalizing .465.

Basically, Majewski was not a good pitcher to begin with but has been a bad, as well as unlucky pitcher since he put on a Reds uniform. If Majewski is back to 2006 form, it simply means that he is pitching with luck on his side, as opposed to against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    The thing about Majewski is that he was not very good during his "good" years with Washington, just lucky. In 2005, whenhe posted a 2.93 ERA, his K/9 was an anemic 5.23, while he also walked 3.87/9, too many considering his lack of K's. He was made to look good by the fact that he only gave up 0.21 HR/9. However, this was done with a HR/FB ratio of 2.2 %, ridiculously lucky even when you consider that he was pitching in RFK.

Last year with the Nationals, where he had a 3.58 ERA before the trade, his peripheral stats were very similar to 2005, and he looked like someone pitching well because of downright luck. After he was traded to the Reds his K/9, BB/9 and HR/9 were negligibly different, yet his ERA rose to 8.40. He was actually unlucky with the Reds, as his BABIP against was a luck equalizing .465.

Basically, Majewski was not a good pitcher to begin with but has been a bad, as well as unlucky pitcher since he put on a Reds uniform. If Majewski is back to 2006 form, it simply means that he is pitching with luck on his side, as opposed to against him.
    Wow, very interesting stuff. I was curious about his peripherals, but too lazy to look them up. It seems we really can't expect Majewski to repeat any sort of success with consistency. If anything, we should expect to see a guy that will get rocked if he doesn't have Lady Luck standing next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Wow, very interesting stuff. I was curious about his peripherals, but too lazy to look them up. It seems we really can't expect Majewski to repeat any sort of success with consistency. If anything, we should expect to see a guy that will get rocked if he doesn't have Lady Luck standing next to him.
    You are exactly right, which is what made trading for him in the first place a bad idea. I had no problem acquiring Bray in the deal, but was not happy with the inclusion of Majewski once I looked at the stats. The reason for the trade was to improve the bullpen, yet it should have been apparent that Majewski was not the arm to go after, much less give up something of value (at the time) for him.

Argh. Here we go again.

Boy, I sure wish we had Kearns back and not Hamilton. I sure wish Lopez was at SS instead of Gonzo/Keppinger.

I'm not saying that I want Kearns and Lopez back. I'm simply saying that Majewski was a bad pitcher that should not have been traded for in the first place. All of his peripherals said that he had been lucky, and was due to start pitching bad. I had no problem dealing Kearns and Lopez for worthwhile commodities, Majewski simply wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    I'm not saying that I want Kearns and Lopez back. I'm simply saying that Majewski was a bad pitcher that should not have been traded for in the first place. All of his peripherals said that he had been lucky, and was due to start pitching bad. I had no problem dealing Kearns and Lopez for worthwhile commodities, Majewski simply wasn't.
    Any time you get the best player in a deal you've done ok. We got Bray and they got a couple below average position players. I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Argh. Here we go again.

Boy, I sure wish we had Kearns back and not Hamilton. I sure wish Lopez was at SS instead of Gonzo/Keppinger.
    Been there, said that....any minute now you'll get a response saying "it was about the "return" on Kearns/FLo that has everyone upset."

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Any time you get the best player in a deal you've done ok. We got Bray and they got a couple below average position players. I'll take that.
    So you consider the price of a good (not great) reliever to be 2 average to slightly below avg. (at the time) position players?

BTW, I'm not trying to be snarky here. It's an honest question.

In any case, as long as he continues to pitch this well I would be glad to have him in the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?