Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Alfredo Rodriguez

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Alfredo Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    We can certainly look at those things... but are we really adjusting his age by 5 years? Because that's the context we would be needing to apply to put him on track to be on par with some of the major's worst hitters.

As far as Dyson, I included him to recognize that it has happened before, but I also made the point (that you seem to have glossed over) that half of his value came from baserunning (an attribute Fredo does not have) and the other half elite elite defense (that begs the question if Fredo is just "good" or if he is "out of this world"). So even in the rosiest scenario where his bat pushes to the big leagues like it did for Dyson, he is still quite a bit further behind.
    I guess we are on different pages when it comes to Alfredo's speed and defense. I know those factors are harder to quantify so I can see that they would be up for debate a bit more. As for the baserunning, I have never seen him run or seen a clock on him, so I am just going based upon some dated reports and the fact that he already has 8 steals. As for the defense, it's even more based upon reports and the fact that he only has 2 errors in 41 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    As for the baserunning, I have never seen him run or seen a clock on him, so I am just going based upon some dated reports and the fact that he already has 8 steals. As for the defense, it's even more based upon reports and the fact that he only has 2 errors in 41 games.
    He's also got 7 caught stealings though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I guess we are on different pages when it comes to Alfredo's speed and defense. I know those factors are harder to quantify so I can see that they would be up for debate a bit more. As for the baserunning, I have never seen him run or seen a clock on him, so I am just going based upon some dated reports and the fact that he already has 8 steals. As for the defense, it's even more based upon reports and the fact that he only has 2 errors in 41 games.
    I'm just going off the scouting reports I've read.... he seems to have average speed....

He had 11 SB's last year, and been a negative value this year against AA catchers... I don't really see any valid argument he is going to provide the same kind of value as elite speedsters that were getting 50-100 bags annually in the minors.... and I don't really see any reason why we should expect that to improve going forward, especially when there is generally a sharp decline in speed value to the majors.... it's a unique quality that he simply doesn't own.

He appears to be a sure handed quality range SS, but I haven't heard anything suggesting he has out of this world range which is where a lot of the fielding value comes from these days. I see him as a plus... but that alone isn't enough to carve out a career with his hitting and speed profile.

Devil's advocate... if we signed this guy as a minor league free agent in the off-season, and he never got that ludicrous contract out of Cuba... I don't think he would be on anyone's radar as even a discussion topic. We'd see a very light hitting almost 25 year old SS, with limited speed and assume it would be great if he ever advanced to AAA.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

5. Likes:

M2 (05-28-2019)

As stated earlier in this thread and has been continued throughout this season, his K rate has drastically declined as well as his IFFB%. These are other, very important stats that also lead to higher BABIPs that are sustainable.
    We disagree about the definition of the term “drastically.”

As I stated earlier, we’re talking just a few fewer strikeouts because the sample size is so small.

I’m glad you brought this up, it deserves discussion, but right now, I’m not seeing much. Let’s see how he looks in another month or two. If his BA and BABIP remain high, it might mean something. I hope it does, because the Reds need SS prospects.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

He's worth watching and I'm glad he's improving but in today's game is there really room on these 25 man rosters for a Juan Castro? I don't think so. Defense isn't valued like it used to be and benches are thinner for non pitchers. It's your Doug Flynn, Darryl Chaney type that loses out.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Defense isn't valued like it used to be
    Defense is better now than it has ever been in the history of baseball, and thanks to analytics it has been heavily re-emphasized in the last 10 years.

What's no longer valued is light-hitting position players with more of a reputation for plus defense than actual ability...

10. Likes:

M2 (05-30-2019)

Alf Rod with 4 for 7 in twin bill today with two extra base hits. Up to .306 BA playing every day still at AA.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-16-2019)

Sample size getting bigger for Fredo, up to some 250 PAs now. He quite clearly has no power but he can seemingly now hit enough to justify using him as a glove first role player with the outside possibility of being a fringe starter. I've used the Adeiny Hechavarria comp in the past and I think it still applies.

Still not much closer to being worth what the Reds paid for him, but they might just get something out of him after all.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

BillDoran (06-17-2019),Edd Roush (06-16-2019),Redeyecat (06-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sample size getting bigger for Fredo, up to some 250 PAs now. He quite clearly has no power but he can seemingly now hit enough to justify using him as a glove first role player with the outside possibility of being a fringe starter. I've used the Adeiny Hechavarria comp in the past and I think it still applies.

Still not much closer to being worth what the Reds paid for him, but they might just get something out of him after all.
    His hitting ability is not much different than reds current so Jose inglsias

I think his half dozen or so huge games against right handed pitching at home are inflating his overall stat line, BAbip of .347 on the season. I trust the away numbers more so.

His K% is impressive, but his BB% is not and his SB/CS figures aren't impressive either.

For some; albeit small perspective, Jose Peraza who was 5 years younger at that level hit .335 - .363 - .422.

I like the production that I've seen over the past two weeks in particular, but I'll have to wait and see an OPS north of .600 in extended playing time in the majors to believe in him having any kind of value to a future Cincinnati Reds club, even if it's as a bench glove guy.

A singles, no walk hitter, with non elite speed doesn't make me tingly all over.

The one significant positive I see about Alf Rod is that his hitting improvement comes at AA.

Many prospects have the opposite trajectory. As the levels get more difficult, they struggle more. This player has improved meaningfully at AA. This does show that Reds are making some progress with him, he’s obviously been a project offensively.

Over the next year, I’d like to see Alf Rod add a little power. I don’t see him even being considered for a big league spot in 2019 or most of. 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    His hitting ability is not much different than reds current so Jose inglsias
    You love them ridiculous hot take observations with no basis in any reality.

Hit leaders in Double A:

Drew Waters (Southern League) - 113 hits
    Alfredo Rodriguez (Southern League) - 96 hits
    Owen Miller (Texas League) - 96 hits
    Abraham Toro (Texas League) - 92 hits
    Christian Santana (Texas League) - 91 hits
    Cristian Pache (Southern League) - 90 hits
    Edward Olivares (Texas League) - 90 hits

Of course, of those 96 hits for our representative on this list, 81 of them are singles. But a hit is a hit, and now up to about 350 PAs in Chattanooga this season, Alf has 'hit'.

Of course one can quibble over how valuable this type of player can be (if it all), but I think we've all got to be pleasantly surprised that the guy who couldn't hit, in any sense of the word, in the DSL, A+ ball, and the Arizona Fall League has somehow managed to put together this type of season so far.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (07-09-2019),Edd Roush (07-09-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I don't want a player who gets hits. I want a player who is selective, and looks for pitches to drive. You drive enough pitches and the hits are going to come. Making weak contact, OTOH, isn't a recipe for success in the major leagues.

So, question: is AlfRod driving those hits or are they bloopers hit to no-mans-land in the outfield?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't want a player who gets hits. I want a player who is selective, and looks for pitches to drive. You drive enough pitches and the hits are going to come. Making weak contact, OTOH, isn't a recipe for success in the major leagues.

So, question: is AlfRod driving those hits or are they bloopers hit to no-mans-land in the outfield?
    I'd highly doubt that he's gotten 81 bloop hits but from the lack of extra base hits I'm willing to bet that he's not exactly barreling up the baseball down there.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?