Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 9/11/09- Reds vs Cubs

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 9/11/09- Reds vs Cubs

Nice quick 3 up 3 down for DRH.

I don't care HOW many times I watch him, I love watching Herrera pitch. 65 mph changeup there. LOL.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the scores stays the same, Stevens is due for the win, but he gave up the lead, so if I were the official scorer, I give it to Heilman, if the rule books allows.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That's fine. Keep Janish. Everyone wants Gomes in left. Everyone loves Hanigan. Everyone loves Bruce. Votto is a must. Phillips is a must. Stubbs is a big improvement. Rolen is a given.

Just how does this pitiful offense improve if all these guys stay?
    By bringing in better players to push some of those guys into being backups or even off the team.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    What if he turns out to be a Red Sox fan?
    That's the kicker...his dad IS a Red Sox fan!!

That's fine. Keep Janish. Everyone wants Gomes in left. Everyone loves Hanigan. Everyone loves Bruce. Votto is a must. Phillips is a must. Stubbs is a big improvement. Rolen is a given.

Just how does this pitiful offense improve if all these guys stay?
    Most of those guys can actually hit. Just because they aren't hitting very well right now doesn't mean they can't hit at all. I think over time Joey, Brandon, and Scott Rolen have all proven that fact. Stubbs is still young, Janish is getting his first taste of starting every day, Gomes was kind of an unknown this year, Hanigan was doing fine as the backup this year and was forced into starting due to injury, and Bruce had a rough year and is now injured and working his way back. There's a few too many question marks for me to judge these guys on anything right now except that they're doing the best they can when the games don't mean anything. And yes, I know that was a very long ramble for a game thread, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    By players being healthy? I personally think Bruce bounces back in a big way.

If we keep the same players, I still think this offense will be better than what we've seen this year. It's far from a great offense, but I think it will be good enough for a well balanced team (pitching/defense/offense) and a shot for the division next season. I'm probably in the minority, but I'll gladly sacrifice offense from SS, C and CF for well above average defense. Improve the other slots, fine...but I don't sacrifice defense in those 3 spots.
    Recipe for disaster. Don't fall in love with your losing players. They will keep losing for you.

The Reds need offensive upgrades at left field, shortstop, and catcher. One of the centerfielders has to come around. And Bruce must come around, which is no given. You may think he bounces back in a big way, but right now he is a .207 hitter with a sub-.300 OBP. And they need more hitting depth.

The Reds play in an offensive stadium and have the worst offensive numbers in the National League. That is no easy feat to accomplish.

It won't change by standing pat, health or no health.

We've went from NO shirts to NO pants in chat!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Barker PH'ing for Hererra. I've never been a fan, but Barker's done quite well since he's been up.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We've went from NO shirts to NO pants in chat!
    Raisor must've shown up.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    By bringing in better players to push some of those guys into being backups or even off the team.
    Right.

Recipe for disaster. Don't fall in love with your losing players. They will keep losing for you.

The Reds need offensive upgrades at left field, shortstop, and catcher. One of the centerfielders has to come around. And Bruce must come around, which is no given. You may think he bounces back in a big way, but right now he is a .207 hitter with a sub-.300 OBP. And they need more hitting depth.

The Reds play in an offensive stadium and have the worst offensive numbers in the National League. That is no easy feat to accomplish.

It won't change by standing pat, health or no health.
    Agree to disagree.

Hanigan has hit .272 with an OBP of .365. 25 k's compared to 33 BB's. He may not have power, but that's a perfectly servicable offensive catcher especially when you figure in his excellent defensive work.

Left field seems to be the perfect place to upgrade this team. But Gomes is doing his best to put that issue to rest. In only 240 ab's he's hitting right around .280 with 19 dingers. His defense has been considered his weakest link but I haven't seen it this season. He's played a fairly decent leftfield from what I've seen.

As for short, sure, I'd LOVE to see an offensive threat out there like Larkin while still playing excellent defense. However I just don't see one available. Do you? I see hitting SS's that can't field and I see fielding SS's that can't hit. So, if you've got to choose between those two options...I go for the glove. If you see one out there that's available, put that name out there, because I'd love to see it (other than Hardy...and I'm just really not sure about him after this year).

Wow, Stubbs is as fast as I've seen a Reds player since Neon.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

An update? I'm holding on the phone and had to turn the game off.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2 men on for Vottomatic! Let's go Joey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agree to disagree.

Hanigan has hit .272 with an OBP of .365. 25 k's compared to 33 BB's. He may not have power, but that's a perfectly servicable offensive catcher especially when you figure in his excellent defensive work.

Left field seems to be the perfect place to upgrade this team. But Gomes is doing his best to put that issue to rest. In only 240 ab's he's hitting right around .280 with 19 dingers. His defense has been considered his weakest link but I haven't seen it this season. He's played a fairly decent leftfield from what I've seen.

As for short, sure, I'd LOVE to see an offensive threat out there like Larkin while still playing excellent defense. However I just don't see one available. Do you? I see hitting SS's that can't field and I see fielding SS's that can't hit. So, if you've got to choose between those two options...I go for the glove. If you see one out there that's available, put that name out there, because I'd love to see it (other than Hardy...and I'm just really not sure about him after this year).

So in other words, we're stuck with Hanigan, Gomes and Janish as starters next year. Pretty defeatist, I would say.

Hanigan is ok as a part time catcher. But that's about it. In 227 at bats this year, he had 9 RBIs. 9. His OPS was ok at one point but now is below .700. Lots of hype, but not enough production. The Reds can keep him, but he is not a plus everyday catcher.

Gomes has struck out 80 times this year, more than one third of his official at bats. That is a very high rate. If you fail to make contact over one third of the time, your chances of winding up with very good numbers are thin.

Janish is a fine fielder. He could start on a strong offensive team, hitting eighth. On the Reds, his lack of offense compounds the problem. Who is there out there? Scutoro on Toronto, for one. But don't you think it's a bit early to give up on upgrading shortstop for next year? It's only September.

You can argue about this group forever, it has been a disaster on offense. These same players will not succeed offensively. Upgrade or watch the rerun next year.

Votto strikes out and looked bad doing it. 2 down. Stubbs on second, Janish on first.

Turn Off Ads?