Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How is your job being affected right now?

How is your job being affected right now?

I work at Kroger.

It hasn’t changed in the fact that unlike everyone else, we still have to go to work because we are “essential”, but with grocery stores being the most likely place to catch something, it has really made me and others question our working conditions.

Management thinks that picking up a spray bottle and wiping carts down is all that needs done to clean. They said that they were going to be installing plexiglass barriers but we have yet to see them.

For me, this is how my life has changed. I come home every day and go to the basement and strip down and put my clothes in the washer. Go upstairs, take a shower, then I can hug my three year old daughter who doesn’t understand why she can’t hug Daddy when he comes home from work.

If people knew how much money big box retail was bringing in from this it would disgust you. It’s like Christmas and Thanksgiving on steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-01-2020),KittyDuran (03-31-2020),North (03-30-2020),Redsfaithful (03-31-2020),Stray (03-31-2020),wolfboy (03-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How is your job being affected right now?

Work for a local college creating content for art/gd students. My work has shifted entirely to my home and I have a lot more of it since the entire college is online atm. But I'm able to work and getting paid so I feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I work at Kroger.

It hasn’t changed in the fact that unlike everyone else, we still have to go to work because we are “essential”, but with grocery stores being the most likely place to catch something, it has really made me and others question our working conditions.

Management thinks that picking up a spray bottle and wiping carts down is all that needs done to clean. They said that they were going to be installing plexiglass barriers but we have yet to see them.

For me, this is how my life has changed. I come home every day and go to the basement and strip down and put my clothes in the washer. Go upstairs, take a shower, then I can hug my three year old daughter who doesn’t understand why she can’t hug Daddy when he comes home from work.

If people knew how much money big box retail was bringing in from this it would disgust you. It’s like Christmas and Thanksgiving on steroids.
    Yea man you guys should be getting double time hazard pay. Economy is hurting no doubt, but grocery/dept stores are not. Biz is booming there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Yea man you guys should be getting double time hazard pay. Economy is hurting no doubt, but grocery/dept stores are not. Biz is booming there.
    Just got a text from our rep. Kroger has agreed to an extra $2 an hour for the next three weeks.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

dfs (03-31-2020),Hillsdale87 (04-01-2020)

My wife was just furloughed for 60 days.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    My wife was just furloughed for 60 days.
    Sorry to hear that.

My daughter in law was furloughed along with 125k other Macy’s employees. She had worked her ass off to be the manager of cosmetics at the Kenwood Macy’s and then poof. My son is still trying to get OTR Chili launched. They passed the health inspection yesterday but had to lay off everyone but him and the other chef. My other son in law works for Ticketmaster and he’s super busy cancelling events. But I’m afraid that business is going to fall on hard times. My youngest is a nurse and they are starting to see COVID cases. I thought that when I got older, I wasn’t going to have to worry about my children so much.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (04-01-2020),RFS62 (04-01-2020)

My wife was one of 8 attorneys laid off at her firm last week due to a collapse in work product needed.

We're trying to re-purpose existing scheduling software to leverage that tool + Zoom into a screening tool for COVID visits, while Washington is a mess Oregon is less so, but we also service the whole SOCAL area so chances are that might blow up fast

13. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-01-2020)

My son in law was laid off a week ago (he and my daughter and two little kids lived on the NH-MA border), and their plan was to break their lease and move close to my dad in the north part of NH who lives alone now. During the move, he got a call from Bayer (he specializes in microprocessor applications), and they snatched him up to head up a team in PA. He went down there, but now his wife and kids can't come down because he would have to be put in quarantine for two weeks, and he can't go up there for the same reason. So, my brother in Maine went over to help my daughter move, but during the move Maine made a rule that you have to self quarantine if you come back from another state, along with anyone in your household. So, if he goes back home, his wife will lose her job.

So, my daughter and kids took one bedroom in my dad's house, and my brother is sleeping on a cot in the barn. I called him and asked if he's ok, and he said, "Hell, I'd do this forever. It's just like camping. I've got a little woodstove out here, and I'll make pancakes every morning for the little ones. My boss already told me he'd pay me for these two weeks. What are you gonna do?"

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-02-2020),RedEye (04-06-2020),RFS62 (04-06-2020),Roy Tucker (04-01-2020)

Some idiot wiped out a regional office in Parkersburg, they knew they had a fever and their father had been showing symptoms. Now that entire building is under quarantine. We're being sent home to work from Charleston with all our stuff. Hopefully I can piece meal this and get running for tomorrow.

My wife's department at the hospital she works has been cut in half due to lay offs because of the lack of work in insurance billing.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-06-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I’ve been working from home since 3/13. My company makes label stock for food and beverage packaging, prescription bottles, package delivery boxes, hand sanitizers and soaps, etc., etc. My role is in supply chain so I’ve been extremely busy, and am grateful for it. I’ve gotten kind of used to working from home and hey, you can’t beat the commute.

My wife is an x-ray tech at an orthopedic/urgent care office so she’s the one I worry about the most, as she’s exposed to a large number of different people on any given day. And I’ve frankly been concerned with her company’s poor preparation and communication during this whole thing. In addition to that, the vast majority of the patients who are coming in have non-urgent issues that can wait. The company is supposedly “pre-screening” patients now but my wife says not a single one has been turned away.
    My wife's hours have been cut to 25 per week, with more cuts to come.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Some idiot wiped out a regional office in Parkersburg, they knew they had a fever and their father had been showing symptoms. Now that entire building is under quarantine. We're being sent home to work from Charleston with all our stuff. Hopefully I can piece meal this and get running for tomorrow.

My wife's department at the hospital she works has been cut in half due to lay offs because of the lack of work in insurance billing.
    PM me any details you can share. I live in the Parkersburg area.

I've just made the decision to furlough the majority of my staff.

~45% of my clientele are closed due to the stay-at-home order, they are unwilling/unable to sign 2020 contracts with me at this time (I don't blame them), in addition some of my clientele who are still open are foregoing my services for the time being due to lower revenue streams. I'm going to keep a skeleton crew to maintain a small number of clients, the rest of my staff I'm paying 2 weeks of full-time wages and recommending each of them apply for unemployment. Though small business loans are out there, and at near 0% APR, I can't take on any more risk at this time.

I feel terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I've just made the decision to furlough the majority of my staff.

~45% of my clientele are closed due to the stay-at-home order, they are unwilling/unable to sign 2020 contracts with me at this time (I don't blame them), in addition some of my clientele who are still open are foregoing my services for the time being due to lower revenue streams. I'm going to keep a skeleton crew to maintain a small number of clients, the rest of my staff I'm paying 2 weeks of full-time wages and recommending each of them apply for unemployment. Though small business loans are out there, and at near 0% APR, I can't take on any more risk at this time.

I feel terrible.
    Actually, there is one form of loan for businesses that employs less than 500, and as long as it is used to keep your business afloat and 75% is used for payroll and the rest for business necessities (rent, utilities, not capital expenses), they will forgive the whole thing. Google "Paycheck Protection Program".

On one bad note, my gf (she works at the local base) showed me a facebook post from a coworker (I'm not on FB because it's a sewer), and this person stated "I have no sympathy for the businesses having trouble. That's what capitalism is. They should have been prepared." Yeah, like they should have been prepared for something that never happened before. It isn't like they had inside news like the politicians who sold their stocks.

I think once this thing blows over and the millions that were destroyed are ignored, there will be some real class warfare over this. I'm going to start telling this to people I know who still have a job: "Look, I'm happy for you, really. But be careful about what you say for the next year or so. Don't talk about vacations you are going on and the stuff you just bought, because you don't know what others are going through. Just be mindful."

22. Likes:

dfs (04-07-2020),Kingspoint (04-09-2020),RedTeamGo! (04-07-2020),RFS62 (04-09-2020),Roy Tucker (04-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?