Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

If Strange-Gordon makes the roster, the only bright spot would be him using "People Are Strange" by the Doors as his walk-up song. If he doesn't do that, there isn't really any reason at all to keep him...

...But they will.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-25-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-24-2021),Danny Serafini (03-24-2021),MoneyInTheBank (03-24-2021),NebraskaRed (03-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Judging from the few intereviews he has given, his social media, and what the announcers and beat writers say about Farmer, he seems quite likeable. It just could be a simple as that.
    Well then Ohtani from LA must be the nicest guy in the world. I can't go a day without seeing a story about him on MLB site. So he pitches and bats. Big deal.

7. Likes:

DocRed (03-24-2021)

Re: Final Roster Decisions for NRI's quickly approaching...

I’m sure Reds hoped Aquino would get the extra option year.

I didn’t think he’d make the team for OD if he had a minor league option. Naquin might be more useful, and the backup IF (Farmer, maybe Blandino) could be two RHHs.

If Votto is out, it’ll make it easier to keep AA on roster initially. Maybe not item #1 for the team this year, but should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m sure Reds hoped Aquino would get the extra option year.

I didn’t think he’d make the team for OD if he had a minor league option. Naquin might be more useful, and the backup IF (Farmer, maybe Blandino) could be two RHHs.

If Votto is out, it’ll make it easier to keep AA on roster initially. Maybe not item #1 for the team this year, but should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Naquin is a lefty bat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

With news on extra options, I think the Reds might end up keeping both DeLeon and Cionel Perez in the minors to start the season.

Garrett
    Sims
    Doolittle
    Antone
    Ramirez
    Bedrosian
    Hembree
    Fullmer

As for the offensive side, I'm guessing no Votto to begin.

Stephenson
    Barnhart
    India
    Suarez
    Moustakas
    Farmer
    Strange-Gordon
    Blandino
    Winker
    Senzel
    Castellanos
    Aquino
    Naquin

Aquino has higher odds of making the Opening Day roster as a bench bat because he’s out of options.

The Reds maintain some flexibility to keep De León as a starting pitcher, the role he’s had throughout spring training, because he doesn’t have to be on the Opening Day roster to remain in the organization. If De León was out of options, he would’ve likely fit in the bullpen because it’s the easier way to keep him on the active roster. Lucas Sims was out of options prior to the 2020 season and it prompted his move to a full-time reliever. The same thing happened with Robert Stephenson in 2019, too.

Cionel Pérez is a candidate to make the Opening Day roster with the way he’s pitched in camp, but relievers with options are valuable from a team’s perspective.

“We got stuck a couple of times last year because we had to take a couple guys off the roster who were out of options,” General Manager Nick Krall said in November.
    Bobby Nightengale, Cincinnati Enquirer

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Naquin is a lefty bat.
    I meant Farmer and Blandino are righties.

If they both make it, Reds might prefer Naqion, a lefty, as OF backup.

Aquino being out of options might complicate that.

If it’s Stephenson, Blandino, Farmer, Naquin and Strange-Gordon (utility) there’d be no room for Aquino. But now he’s out of options.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-24-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I meant Farmer and Blandino are righties.

If they both make it, Reds might prefer Naqion, a lefty, as OF backup.

Aquino being out of options might complicate that.

If it’s Stephenson, Blandino, Farmer, Naquin and Strange-Gordon (utility) there’d be no room for Aquino. But now he’s out of options.
    Simple. Send Strange-Gordon away ASAP. in his case utility means he's can't really play any position reliably.

14. Likes:

757690 (03-24-2021),HammerTime (03-24-2021),ochoa30 (03-24-2021),Revering4Blue (03-25-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

David Bell on Aquino, who learned he was out of options today: “It gives clarity, which is really important… I don’t think it’s going to affect our decision making very much."

David Bell confirms Tejay Antone will begin the year in the bullpen. "He has a chance to be a big part of our bullpen, someone who can help us win game in a variety of roles."

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Simple. Send Strange-Gordon away ASAP. in his case utility means he's can't really play any position reliably.
    More likely Reds will add Aquino to the bench and IL Votto for a short while.

And then worry about the issue later.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    David Bell says he doesn’t think the news of Aristides Aquino being out of options will affect the decision-making process much. “We've kind of talked about both scenarios and were prepared for either way.”

I see no reason for DSG to be on this team.

I like the Naquin/Shogo, Farmer/Blandy configuration. It’s not perfect but they’re all well-rounded players who can play solid defense and give good at bats if placed in the right scenarios. Those 4 plus Stephenson is a good bench.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-25-2021)

Interesting quote by Bell.

I’m sure Aquino would have preferred: “We’re not concerned about option years the player is on our team.”

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing in these situations.

Maybe I'm too into the tank on the 2021 Reds' beer league softball approach, but I value Aquino's raw power tool over about any other tool by a prospective competitor for a bench spot, and I only value Shogo more overall. Naquin's toast. I don't care about any of the infielders, which means I'd option Blandino for depth. It's INSANE they don't have a steady defensive SS who can have a respectable at bat in their entire organization...

22. Likes:

BillDoran (03-25-2021)

Turn Off Ads?