Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Sonny Gray is one of the better starters in baseball since joining the Reds. How do you have ample protection for such a guy? Adding a Jose Quintana doesn’t really move the needle if Sonny Gray misses significant time.
    A reasonable response to all the pitching losses and uncertainty would have been to add an MOR starter and a set-up type reliever. In each case a healthy pitcher who has had recent success. Even one year contract guys.

Doesn’t fully compensate for Bauer, the departed relievers, the current injury risks, but it would have been a meaningful step in providing some solid depth.

Obviously it was out of the question for this club, but a fair expectation from the fans.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-30-2021 at 05:30 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t view Sonny Gray as just another player for Reds. And I don’t view a pitcher’s back problem - causing him to miss or do poorly in key games - as just a bump or bruise. If it’s all so minor why has he been having back spasms causing him to shut down his pitching this spring.

This is just another reason why the Reds’ inaction this off-season is difficult to forgive.

I see Gray pitched to batters last Friday, first time since injury. Hopefully he won’t be out for too long.
    You keep saying "back problem" and parsing my words to obfuscate the nature of the injury and avoid my overall point.

It was a muscle strain. A muscle strain is not predictive of future issues. He has had the same, or similar issue crop up during Spring Training. Now, we can call into question the chronicity of the injury, not at the time of the first injury. That is why I'm saying it's using hindsight. Should they have added a starter? Yes. Would an extra starter have mitigated the damage? Absolutely. Should they have been looking for an extra starter because Sonny Gray had a muscle strain? No. This is where we disagree and I am willing to agree to disagree on that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    ok man, I didn't mean to pile on. Was just debating. No hard feelings I hope.
    None at all. I hope the feeling is mutual

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-30-2021),REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The #Reds have returned Rule 5 Draft selection IF Kyle Holder to the Yankees.

Holder was selected from the Yankees by the Phillies in the December Rule 5 Draft and then acquired by the Reds in January for cash.
    Another one bites the dust

7. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021),Ron Madden (03-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You keep saying "back problem" and parsing my words to obfuscate the nature of the injury and avoid my overall point.

It was a muscle strain. A muscle strain is not predictive of future issues. He has had the same, or similar issue crop up during Spring Training. Now, we can call into question the chronicity of the injury, not at the time of the first injury. That is why I'm saying it's using hindsight. Should they have added a starter? Yes. Would an extra starter have mitigated the damage? Absolutely. Should they have been looking for an extra starter because Sonny Gray had a muscle strain? No. This is where we disagree and I am willing to agree to disagree on that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Fine, and I’m not suggesting that Sonny Gray’s injury was the sole reason to add pitching. But when one looks at all the circumstances, departures, thin pipeline of ready candidates, and health questions, the need for pitching was pretty clear.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-30-2021 at 05:40 PM.

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-30-2021),REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Fine, and I’m not suggesting that Sonny Gray’s injury was the sole reason to add pitching. But when one looks at all the circumstances, departures, thin pipeline of ready candidates, and health questions, the need for pitching was pretty clear.
    Other than the injury part, we do not disagree on the need for extra pitching

11. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-30-2021),Kc61 (03-30-2021)

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon
    Here is who is left in #reds camp after Kyle Holder was returned to the Yankees. Looks like India will be wearing No. 6, and Naquin switched to No. 12.

https://mobile.twitter.com/m_sheldon...28588994707457

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-30-2021)

A reasonable response to all the pitching losses and uncertainty would have been to add an MOR starter and a set-up type reliever. In each case a healthy pitcher who has had recent success. Even one year contract guys.

Doesn’t fully compensate for Bauer, the departed relievers, the current injury risks, but it would have been a meaningful step in providing some solid depth.

Obviously it was out of the question for this club, but a fair expectation from the fans.
    Which explains the D's and F's in the grade poll.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-30-2021),REDREAD (03-31-2021)

Nvm, MoneyInTheBank said what I was going to say.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-30-2021 at 09:50 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Shogo Akiyama is participating in today's #Reds workout, their final tune-up before Opening Day.

18. Likes:

LeDoux (03-31-2021),NC Reds (03-31-2021)

Max Schrock certainly seems healthy. He homered off Sonny Gray and hit a double off Wade Miley (left vs. left) in tonight's intrasquad scrimmage.

20. Likes:

NC Reds (03-31-2021),Ron Madden (03-31-2021)

Also from Nightingale. Sorry on my phone. Copy and past not the easiest.

#Reds lineup in their intrasquad scrimmage tonight

Winker LF
    Castellanos RF
    Votto 1B
    Suárez SS
    Moustakas 3B
    Senzel CF
    India 2B
    Barnhart C SS
    Moustak CF
    India 2B
    Barnhart C

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Max Schrock certainly seems healthy. He homered off Sonny Gray and hit a double off Wade Miley (left vs. left) in tonight's intrasquad scrimmage.
    Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    Who knows if this game is going to have any impact on anything, but Max Schrock has a home run and a double in his first game back from a hamstring injury.

Jonathan India has a line drive single and a no-doubt home run to right field.
    He’s going to be quite good.

24. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-31-2021)

Not sure I've ever been as "So what?" about a Reds Opening Day.

26. Likes:

Big Klu (03-31-2021),BillDoran (03-31-2021),CesarGeronimo (04-01-2021),REDREAD (04-01-2021),reds77 (04-01-2021),TheBigLebowski (04-01-2021)

Lot to get excited about for this club. J. India is exhibit ONE. Stephenson is two. Senzel is three. Winker is four. Antone and Mahle and Castillo and Gray are five and six and seven and eight. Lucas Sims is nine and Garrett is ten.

28. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-31-2021),Old school 1983 (04-01-2021),Puffy (04-01-2021),SirFelixCat (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    True but coming off a shortened season I expect the injury rate to be higher than ever and I'm willing to bet someone in the lineup will go down with an injury before we are even 20 games into the season. And then there is also Covid IL as well.
    Took less than 1 game...

30. Likes:

REDREAD (04-02-2021)

Turn Off Ads?