Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Source: Texas and Oklahoma - the founding members of the Big 12 - are leaving the league

https://247sports.com/college/texas/...168151146/Amp/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A few random thoughts:

* When looking at potential dominoes, remember that cord-cutting will be affecting the conference network revenue math. In the last big round of expansion, the primary concern was adding territory (and therefore passive TV income). In the future, the strength of a school's brand may be more important than where it's located.

* Kansas is in bad shape right now (terrible football, NCAA investigation) but that shouldn't stop the B1G from adding them if they think it makes sense. Adding conference members is a long-play decision.

* If the situation turns into every-school-for-itself, I have no idea if the ACC would invite West Virginia. I think they should, but I don't get a vote.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 07-23-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    A few random thoughts:

* When looking at potential dominoes, remember that cord-cutting will be affecting the conference network revenue math. In the last big round of expansion, the primary concern was adding territory (and therefore passive TV income). In the future, the strength of a school's brand may be more important than where it's located.

* Kansas is in bad shape right now (terrible football, NCAA investigation) but that shouldn't stop the B1G from adding them if they think it makes sense. Adding conference members is a long-play decision.

* If the situation turns into every-school-for-itself, I have no idea if the ACC would invite West Virginia. I think they should, but I don't get a vote.
    Let’s try a pod system for the ACC:

ACC North:
    Pitt
    Boston College
    Syracuse
    WVU

ACC South:
    Clemson
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    Florida State

ACC East:
    Duke
    UNC
    NC State
    Wake Forest

ACC West:
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Virginia Tech
    Virginia

This is assuming Notre Dame gets kicked to the curb.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Question for the WVU fans: hasn't the ACC already passed on them as recently as the last round of expansion when they ended up in the Big XII? Beyond just the cultural fit, my understanding has always been that WVU to the ACC is a non-starter from the conference's perspective, but I figured you'd know better than what I've read/heard. Personally, I'd love to see UC reunited with them one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Question for the WVU fans: hasn't the ACC already passed on them as recently as the last round of expansion when they ended up in the Big XII? Beyond just the cultural fit, my understanding has always been that WVU to the ACC is a non-starter from the conference's perspective, but I figured you'd know better than what I've read/heard. Personally, I'd love to see UC reunited with them one way or another.
    The only reason I could see the ACC going for WVU this time and not in years prior is the proverbial arms race to get to 16 teams.

The Big 10 is more likely to stay in the Midwest and if you take AAU into consideration Iowa St and Kansas make the most sense. Kansas has a lot of baggage but basketball would be a significant get.

Unless something surprising happens such as Texas A&M leaving because they are mad over Texas, the SEC isn’t going to take them. That said, the SEC is the best cultural fit for WVU but as we can see they have eyes on the prize. If that happened Oklahoma State would be next I would think.

Which leads to the ACC. I doubt they would take any leftovers from the Big 12 in the central time zone. WVU wasn’t getting in over Syracuse, Pitt, or even Louisville but can you say the same about Cincinnati, Memphis, or UCF? Pitt and the Virginia schools present rivalry opportunities to be renewed. I think IF the ACC does expand they take WVU and UC and go to a pod system like I mentioned.

Honestly, if I were WVU, I’d go back to the American if no other options are available rather than stay in the Tagalong 8. It made sense in the short term but now they are their own little island in a cratering conference. Even if the Big 12 does add more teams SMU, BYU, and Houston will likely be given preference.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-24-2021),Boss-Hog (07-23-2021),Revering4Blue (07-23-2021)

I like the idea of pods in the SEC, but can't get to where it makes sense geographically and with biggest rivals.

The nearest I can do is:

Northwest
    Missouri
    Arkansas
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

Southwest
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M
    LSU

Southeast
    Florida
    Georgia
    Auburn
    Alabama

Northeast
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vandy

Did a Missouri fan make that?
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

Chip R (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only reason I could see the ACC going for WVU this time and not in years prior is the proverbial arms race to get to 16 teams.

The Big 10 is more likely to stay in the Midwest and if you take AAU into consideration Iowa St and Kansas make the most sense. Kansas has a lot of baggage but basketball would be a significant get.

Unless something surprising happens such as Texas A&M leaving because they are mad over Texas, the SEC isn’t going to take them. That said, the SEC is the best cultural fit for WVU but as we can see they have eyes on the prize. If that happened Oklahoma State would be next I would think.

Which leads to the ACC. I doubt they would take any leftovers from the Big 12 in the central time zone. WVU wasn’t getting in over Syracuse, Pitt, or even Louisville but can you say the same about Cincinnati, Memphis, or UCF? Pitt and the Virginia schools present rivalry opportunities to be renewed. I think IF the ACC does expand they take WVU and UC and go to a pod system like I mentioned.

Honestly, if I were WVU, I’d go back to the American if no other options are available rather than stay in the Tagalong 8. It made sense in the short term but now they are their own little island in a cratering conference. Even if the Big 12 does add more teams SMU, BYU, and Houston will likely be given preference.
    Nice takes.

What if A&M does want to leave the SEC? I would presume the B1G would come calling? Speculation galore and fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Nice takes.

What if A&M does want to leave the SEC? I would presume the B1G would come calling? Speculation galore and fun times.
    If that potential opens up a chance at WVU To SEC then please let it happen and take Missouri while you're at it. These presidents are going to kill the golden goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If that potential opens up a chance at WVU To SEC then please let it happen and take Missouri while you're at it. These presidents are going to kill the golden goose.
    Mizzou had their chance to join the B1G and I would gladly take West Virginia in the conference if Nebraska gets kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Mizzou had their chance to join the B1G and I would gladly take West Virginia in the conference if Nebraska gets kicked out.
    If we’re talking about the ACC not taking WVU from a culture standpoint, then there is no way the B1G is even going to consider them.

At the time of the last expansion too something to keep in mind is that WVU had some stupid fans when they were in the Big East. They cleaned up their act to get into the Big 12 and really haven’t had any issues since.

I’m taking this as Texas A&M is falling into line:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ahoma-join-sec

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If we’re talking about the ACC not taking WVU from a culture standpoint, then there is no way the B1G is even going to consider them.

At the time of the last expansion too something to keep in mind is that WVU had some stupid fans when they were in the Big East. They cleaned up their act to get into the Big 12 and really haven’t had any issues since.
    I was not. Just voicing my opinion on Nebraska in the B1G.

Turn Off Ads?