Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think this is pretty spot-on summation of the programs. Marquette's got more history and more swagger. Milwaukee's a pretty good basketball town too (and they share the arena with the 2021 NBA champs!).

Curious to know which coach you think will have more success.

I ask because I'm a little bearish on Shaka. I think he caught lightening in a bottle at VCU, and he's got a lot of charisma. He recruited well at Texas but never managed to win a NCAA tourney. While Otzelberger didn't do much at UNLV, he was really successful at South Dakota State (though that 's been a really strong program for quite a while now).
    I think part of Smart's appeal as a coach boils down to his ability to get players to buy in completely to his approach.

For whatever reason, they didn't in Texas. Perhaps it was that they had too much talent and too many other options.

At Marquette, he'll be free to recruit those less heralded guys who have a chip on their shoulders, who should be more willing to buy into "havok!".

Speaking of, IMO, Smart's biggest issue was that his Longhorn offense was antiquated. They ranked 68th in attempts from distance and 90th in percentage last season. The year before that, they ranked 92nd in attempts and 173rd in percentage. In 2018, it was 70th and 154th. So maybe it's about establishing the post or looking for easy layups, right? That'd work, I guess.

Were that the case, they'd have a bunch more free throws attempted. They've been near the bottom in the entirety of Division I hoops for three years running on free throw attempts, though.

Clearly, they're settling for mid-range jumpers instead of either driving to the hoop or driving and kicking out to an open teammate. That's an offensive decision, likely from the head coach. And while those shots might be open, there's a reason why more teams don't take them-- they're bad shots when compared to every other type of shot on the offensive side of the ball.

Smart's Texas teams played a plodding style and focused on the exact wrong types of shots in order to be successful. He was a bit more successful with that style at VCU-- and he definitely had better shooters. I'm guessing he'll get back to recruiting those types of guys-- the Troy Daniels of the world, who feel underappreciated and work their tails off in order to succeed and therefore work harder at shooting (and other habits) than do ultra-talented guys who he recruited at Texas.

For a team that plays with as much reckless abandon as Smart typically does, that's way, way too low.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (08-02-2021),Revering4Blue (08-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Smart admitted in his Marquette presser that the havoc system from VCU was long-gone. He said it wouldn't work in the current officiating environment.

His Texas teams were absolutely loaded with super-long athletes--lottery picks Jarrett Allen (wrong, No. 22), Mo Bamba and Jaxson Hayes, and this year he had Greg Brown, Jericho Sims and Kai Jones--- yet it didn't produce top-notch defense, and like BZ noted, they played ssllooww.

The combination of underachieving the talent and the antiquated offense makes me hesitant. Smart is undefeated in press conferences, but the on-court production has never matched the VCU hype (and there's pretty good evidence that the program was and is in very good hands before and after him). I'm rooting for him, but I do wonder if a lower-profile coach like Otzelberger may ultimately have been a better fit. That said, hope Smart is a home run hire. He's easy to root for.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 08-02-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Smart admitted in his Marquette presser that the havoc system from VCU was long-gone. He said it wouldn't work in the current officiating environment.
    I'm waiting for someone to realize Nate Oats' five-out slip- or ghost-screen dribble drive approach at Alabama is the current gold standard for NCAA offenses.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (08-02-2021)

This is pretty obscure, but I had a debate with a friend recently about Iowa State and Marquette basketball.

Both hired news coaches this year; T.J. Otzelberger left UNLV for Ames, and Shaka Smart moved to Milwaukee from Texas.

Who do you think will have their program in better shape in five years?

Both are relatively down (hence the new coaches) but have had reasonably similar runs of success in the past 15-20 years. Marquette fans believe they could have hired Otzelberger had they wanted to (he was born and raised in Milwaukee). Shaka's obviously the bigger name of the two, but I'm not convinced he's the better coach. The shine is off after his time in Austin, though winning at UT is tough.

Anyways, just curious to know what folks think (presuming people think of these programs at all).
    Being from Iowa and still following some people back there, I'm a bit more familiar with ISU's program than most. It sounds like they were very pleased to get him. T.J. used to be an assistant at ISU and was their top recruiter. Take it from me, getting guys to come to Ames, IA is not an easy thing. However, the fans are very passionate and if you win there, the fan will love you to death. One possible fly in the ointment is the improvement of ISU's football program. They have improved the stadium and other areas of the program and it's possible that basketball isn't going to get the love it used to get. Another thing to look at is what happens when OU and UT go to the SEC. They will still have Kansas but what if they decide to go to the B1G? Then you have no bell cows in that conference save for Baylor and while they have a great program now, is it sustainable?

As for Marquette, Shaka did very well at Virginia Tech but UT may have been too much for him. With Marquette there's no football program to compete against. They play in the Big East so they are in a major conference. That helps when they give out NCAA bids. With the Bucks winning the NBA championship and having Giannis there, it may be cool to play in Milwaukee now. You play hoops at Marquette, you probably can't help but run into Giannis a few times. I think Marquette may be in the better place in the future but there are a lot of unknowns with ISU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2021),BillDoran (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to realize Nate Oats' five-out slip- or ghost-screen dribble drive approach at Alabama is the current gold standard for NCAA offenses.
    Not super familiar with his system, but Oats has been dynamite and appears to be in the top-tier of young coaches. (Also, delusional Marquette fans thought he could be lured back to his home state.) Wonder if he'll jump ship or build Alabama into a superpower.

Wonder if he'll jump ship or build Alabama into a superpower.
    He is, IMO, the odds-on favorite to take over at Kentucky after Calipari.

If not there, KU, MSU, or perhaps Duke...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He is, IMO, the odds-on favorite to take over at Kentucky after Calipari.

If not there, KU, MSU, or perhaps Duke...?
    Respectfully disagree. Oats has Gregg Marshall written all over him minus the player abuse. Good where he’s at but his obnoxious personality would be a put off for a larger fanbase where he’d be expected to do more than coach basketball.

It’s not just Kentucky either. Brad Stevens basically decided he’d rather not coach at all than coach at Indiana for I’d say is the same reason.

Alabama in Sabans shadow is the perfect fit for him. I see Kentucky promoting from within unless there’s a sure fire situation where someone who is an obvious fit is available and Oats ain’t it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-22-2021)

The Athletic writers did a conference realignment with a snake draft based on basketball. Some of the selections (if they drafted snake style in the order presented)....

#1 - Kentucky
    #8 - Indiana
    #14 - Ohio State
    #31 - WVU
    #38 - Cincinnati

https://theathletic.com/2764906/2021...l-conferences/
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

How'd Xavier do?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The Athletic writers did a conference realignment with a snake draft based on basketball. Some of the selections (if they drafted snake style in the order presented)....

#1 - Kentucky
    #8 - Indiana
    #14 - Ohio State
    #31 - WVU
    #38 - Cincinnati

https://theathletic.com/2764906/2021...l-conferences/
    Can you explain this some?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How'd Xavier do?
    Looks like #37
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Looks like #37
    Well, I enjoy the symbolism of that placement. Just wish we hadn't sucked of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Can you explain this some?
    Just 6 Athletic writers used a snake draft to build the strongest 12 team basketball conferences. It appears Eamonn Brennan had pick #1 and took UK, and then his next pick was Louisville @ #12, and then Ohio State @ #13 (correction from above). Matthew Gutierrez had the 2nd pick and took UNC and his next pick was Virginia @ #11. Am I making sense...you are familiar with a snake draft?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Just 6 Athletic writers used a snake draft to build the strongest 12 team basketball conferences. It appears Eamonn Brennan had pick #1 and took UK, and then his next pick was Louisville @ #12, and then Ohio State @ #13 (correction from above). Matthew Gutierrez had the 2nd pick and took UNC and his next pick was Virginia @ #11. Am I making sense...you are familiar with a snake draft?
    Where was Purdue?

Kentucky was the fourth pick.

Turn Off Ads?