Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Big One That Got Away: Which Game Could Have Turned the Tide?

The Big One That Got Away: Which Game Could Have Turned the Tide?

From reading through the threads tonight, I get the feeling that many of you believe that tonight's debacle in Pittsburgh may be the one that all but seals our fate as a non postseason club. I agree; it does feel different. The Reds are now in third place in the WC race, maybe fourth place by the end of the week. The Cardinals have pulled a couple of games ahead and we have the Dodgers coming in over the weekend to GABP. The Reds looked and sounded defeated after another boneheaded loss to the worst team in baseball. Not even Mr. Red could put a very positive spin on the team's current predicament.

When we reflect back on the last few weeks of the season, is there a game that you think stands out as the one could have turned the tide in the other direction ? Was it tonight's game with the Schrock misplay and the bone headed game ender? Or would you point to another?

Obviously, in a 162 game season there are numerous games one could point to as a game that was lost that should have been a won. But when those games happen in September, they are magnified in our memories. The pivotal game in my mind was the second game of the Cardinals' series. Castillo gave up a 4 to 0 lead in a game that I feel would have done in the 'Birds. A top of the order pitcher should be counted on protect a big league in such a meaninful game. I believe if we had won that game(as we should have) , we go on to win on Sunday and sweep the Cardinals out of WC contention. Not only that, but the momentum of a sweep of the Cardinals probably carries over to Pittsburgh and we probably win at least two of these three games in Pittsburgh and are firmly in control of our WC destiny. The Cards would be done...finished... looking to next season.

When I look back at this season , the 6 to 4 loss in that middle game of the St. Louis series will be the one stands out as the one that could have turned the tide in the Reds' favor and given them the momentum that would have carried them into the playoffs. The loss of a four run lead by the guy who is supposed to be your ace is the one that will be seen (by me, at least) as the one that was the beginning of the end. Had that one went the Reds' way, we would not be feeling so glum right now. We would be debating who starts on the mound at Dodger Stadium on October 6.

Agree or disagree?
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-16-2021 at 02:14 AM.

2. Likes:

membengal (09-16-2021),REDREAD (09-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Big One That Got Away: Which Game Could Have Turned the Tide?

For me it is the first game in San Diego. Glorious comeback in the 9th but bullpen gives it straight back and Reds go on to be swept 4 straight.

Next is the first game after the All-Star break, the Reds have all the momentum and are chasing down the Brewers but blow a 4-1 lead and Brewers go on to sweep 3 from the Reds ending the Division race.
    Last edited by klw; 09-16-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-16-2021)

If they would have had even a league average bullpen from day 1. They would still be in great shape even with this hitting slump.
    Bullpen hasn't been a topic during this hitting slump.

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-16-2021),Old school 1983 (09-16-2021),REDREAD (09-16-2021)

Cardinals game Saturday. Even after all the series losses and bad play we could've put the Cardinals 4 games back of us with a win and won the series. We blow a 4-0 lead with our "ace" on the mound. The Cardinals won that game plus four more in a row. We lost that game plus three more in a row. Nail in coffin.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    For me it is the first game in San Diego. Glorious comeback in the 9th but bullpen gives it straight back and Reds go on to be swept 4 straight.

Next is the first game after the All-Star break, the Reds have all the momentum and are chasing down the Brewers but blow a 4-1 lead and Brewers go on to sweep 3 from the Reds ending the Division race.
    That one stung like hell, I agree. Win that one and we probably win three of four in that series instead of getting swept. However, the reason I feel last Saturday's loss to the Cards was the biggest difference maker is that it gave St. Louis renewed hope when they could have been finished. When you give the Cards a lifeline in September, they usually take it and make everyone's lives miserable. The Reds recovered from the four game sweep at the hands of the Padres to go 12 games over .500. Have they shown that they will recover from the blown 4 run lead at St. Louis? No, they haven't won a game since. Castillo giving up the four run lead in S.Louis and the subsequent loss of that game was the biggest of the season... the first nail in the coffin. These two losses to a woeful Pittsburgh team have been two more nails.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (09-16-2021)

You could point to many games over the season that the Reds should have won but let get away. That's just the nature of baseball and a long season. I will agree that particular game against the Cards was big as it is turning out. It seems to have sent the Reds spiraling downward, if they weren't already. While it certainly seems to have given the Cards the momentum they needed to grab that last playoff spot.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?