Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It is possible the Aquino situation is simply Occam's Razor. They said it's because they didn't think he'd get enough ABs with Senzel/Winker/Shogo/Castellanos getting most of the time and rather he'd face live pitching regularly than be a bench player, and maybe that is just it.
    This made sense, until Senzel got hurt and Van Meter was getting start after start including at DH.

As soon as Senzel was hurt, they should have called Aquino up, put him in LF, Shogo in CF, and Winker at DH. It was so simple and obvious.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

Just Sayin (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

AA looks plenty good at the major league level.

Good enough to start, much less take the spot of one of the bench guys.

But optioned back again?

Stupid.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

beyond belief,, beyond comprehension and beyond sane into the realm of the malformed

not only is it insane on the intrinsic merits of his talent but when you consider the wasted at bats of the disgustingly untalented and anemic and woeful shogo, et al ithe only explanation is they are betting on the reds to lose

Having trouble imagining the people who traded Aroldis Chapman for Caleb Cotham and Rookie David could make a bad decision

9. Likes:

membengal (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    He should play over Shogo because Shogo essentially has given the Reds nothing. That was a bad signing I didn’t see coming
    I'm the sure the Japanese operation has been a source of pride for Williams and at some point you are expected to do something with these investments. Hence the panic signing of this random old guy.

yes maybe they can sign Hieki Irabu and Kaz Matsui and Masanori Murakami

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Having trouble imagining the people who traded Aroldis Chapman for Caleb Cotham and Rookie David could make a bad decision
    Having trouble imagining that the people that traded for Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo for Shed Long, a draft pick, and a journeyman being the dumbest people on the planet.

13. Likes:

GAC (08-31-2020),HammerTime (08-31-2020)

here s a great bit of reasoning by someone "perhaps hes not that good" maybe not but not that good is light years and eons better than ervin van meter jankowski and payton to the third expoenential power

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe he's just not that good?

I mean let's look at the evidence: He was terrible in September. He was terrible in spring training. He's been at Prasco and we have no clue how he's performed there - but the Reds do. And they've consistently said, by their actions, that other players were better options. So much so that even Mark Payton was taken over him, and Payton wasn't even on the 40-man roster - meaning they not only thought Payton was better, but that he was so much better that it was also worth designating someone else for assignment better.

Sure, maybe the Reds are just incredibly stupid. Like, mind numbingly stupid. But that's probably not the case. It's far more likely that Aquino simply hasn't looked good at Prasco and others have looked a lot better.

As someone else mentioned earlier, the problem here is that none of us have any idea of how he's been performing for the last 8 weeks. So all it does is bring up wild speculation.

I just struggle to see how if he were performing well at Prasco, he'd have just 9 at-bats this season. It simply doesn't add up, especially when there actually has been some playing time available with Senzel now out of the lineup and a spot being opened up at either the DH spot or left field. Then again, maybe I'm right there with the Reds front office being the dumbest person alive, too - I've certainly been accused of such a mental state.
    I just can’t buy it at this point. And I’ve seen him this season for myself now. He looked good at the plate last night. He had a couple timely hits in the couple games he was here earlier in the season.

The worst case scenario is that he is as bad as VanMeter or Ervin were, but he has literally already looked better than both of them by not immediately utterly embarrassing himself.

There are zero reasonable excuses to not have Aquino on the roster at this point.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    You can say all of this...and it’s seems a logical conclusion to make....yet when the guy steps on the big league field he certainly looks the part and has an impact. It’s hard to make sense of.
    Sure, this year in his 9 at-bats that we've been able to see, he's been good. The Reds have probably watched him have 250 at-bats this year, though. Just incredibly tough to imagine he's out there crushing it and this is how they've decided to play things.

Given the information I have available to me, I'd probably have had him on the roster a long time ago. But I'm not ready to destroy the front office over not having him up, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    here s a great bit of reasoning by someone "perhaps hes not that good" maybe not but not that good is light years and eons better than ervin van meter jankowski and payton to the third expoenential power
    Didn’t you used to have another guy on that list
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

ochoa30 (08-30-2020),OGB (08-30-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, this year in his 9 at-bats that we've been able to see, he's been good. The Reds have probably watched him have 250 at-bats this year, though. Just incredibly tough to imagine he's out there crushing it and this is how they've decided to play things.

Given the information I have available to me, I'd probably have had him on the roster a long time ago. But I'm not ready to destroy the front office over not having him up, either.
    What Aquino has done at the MLB level surely should speak much louder than what he does on a practice field. I can’t believe any team is putting much value in what players are doing on their practice fields.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

what do you think instead of bothering me what is your opinion besides exercising your extensive vocabulary of jabroni what do you think, sure I was wrong on winker at least I had an opinion what is your opinion besides saying were good again or were bad again!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was wrong on winker and right on colon, the bullpen,. vanmeter, ervin, jankowski, shogo payton etc

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What Aquino has done at the MLB level surely should speak much louder than what he does on a practice field. I can’t believe any team is putting much value in what players are doing on their practice fields.
    Let's talk this out with the assumption that Aristides Aquino has indeed been struggling at Prasco Park

Your argument is that the pitchers not good enough to be in the big leagues can get him out and make him look bad, but the pitchers better than that who are in the big leagues would perform worse against him and or he'd perform better against them?

The practice field is basically Double-A/Triple-A. Would you ever argue a guy in the minor leagues struggling should be called up because he once upon a time performed very well for 5 weeks in the Major Leagues?

Again, I want to be sure that I'm pointing out that I have no clue at all how Aquino has performed at Prasco. This is simply talking out the idea that teams shouldn't actually pay attention to what's happening at their alternate sites with regards to performance.

Turn Off Ads?