Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds releasing some Minor Leaguers

Re: Reds releasing some Minor Leaguers

Most of those guys have played 5-6 years and haven't really advanced as quickly as folks thought they would. A few names that stick out for me are Cash Case, Gavin LaValley, Cristian Olivo, and Randy Ventura.

Once all the dust gets settled with the COVID-19 stuff and the minor league contractions, some of these guys might be re-signed. Or not.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Cash Case got a $1M bonus less than three years ago. Crazy that he could never get out of rookie ball in this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Per Baseball America:

1B Bruce Yari, Cameron Warren, Gavin LaValley, Jorge Sequera
    2B Cash Case.
    3B Caleb Van Blake, Luis Tejada.
    C Edward Guzman, Fraudy Rodriguez, Hunter Oliver, Morgan Lofstrom, Yamil Nieves.
    LHP Andy Cox, Misael Lopez, Ruben Nunez, Tyler Jay.
    OF Cristian Olivo, Emilio Garcia, Jeferson Geraldo, Jose Pineda, Miles Gordon, Randy Ventura.
    RHP Adrian Rodriguez, Allan Beltre, Andres Falcon, Andrew McDonald, Austin Orewiler, Carlos Santos, Daniel Duarte, Dannysmel Tavarez, Dylan Rheault, Israel Lantigua, Jake Paulson, Jeffry Nino, Jordan Johnson, Jose Lopez, Jose Ortega, Maiker Manuel, Many Reyes, Orlando Rodriguez, Raul Hernandez, Reinardo Mota, Walker Weickel, Willy Mendez, Yoel Diaz.
    SS Lenniell Perez, Samuel Colmenarez, Thomas Lora.
    Names that jump out to me: Jose Lopez. Thought he'd be at least AAA/AA filler. Cam Warren: Just drafted last year. That fizzled quickly. Cash Case: Someone in the Buckley regime really messed this one up. Paid him a ton of money and never did anything. Caleb Van Blake: also drafted last year. HIt .341 with .981 OPS in Az Rookie league but 22 sucky at bats in Greeneville and Billings cost him his shot.

Fraudy Rodriguez: Did not anyone see this coming? Yamil Nieves: Only 18 and drafted last year out of Puerto Rico. Why is every PR player we draft a bust?
    Miles Gordon: So much promise, so little results.

Doug has a nice writeup

https://redsminorleagues.com/2020/06...eague-players/
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-03-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

BillDoran (06-04-2020)

Not one guy on the list bothers me much. I've come around to the thinking that outside of teh top 5 or 10, it's a crapshoot and any one of them would be a surprise. I'm sure some will surprise somewhere, but no way of knowing who and could just as easily be somebody off teh scrap heap that some other team cut. Interchangeable parts.

I used to be a guy who made list over 50 deep. I just think it was too much seeing through Reds colored glasses. Every organization has filler like this and there will be plenty available if a need arises.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Benihana (06-05-2020),HokieRed (06-08-2020)

No offense to Gordon, but his ceiling was never more than that of a fourth outfielder.

Cristian Olivo was yet another high profile failure of a LatAm signing for this organization. I too had high(er) hopes for Miles Gordon, at least before he got hurt. Oh well.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not one guy on the list bothers me much. I've come around to the thinking that outside of teh top 5 or 10, it's a crapshoot and any one of them would be a surprise. I'm sure some will surprise somewhere, but no way of knowing who and could just as easily be somebody off teh scrap heap that some other team cut. Interchangeable parts.

I used to be a guy who made list over 50 deep. I just think it was too much seeing through Reds colored glasses. Every organization has filler like this and there will be plenty available if a need arises.
    Same. I stopped paying much attention to anyone beyond the top 10, and you could make an argument for top 5. Kinda sad in a way.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Why is every PR player we draft a bust?
    Because our LatAm amateur scouts are AWFUL
    Go BLUE!!!

Alfredo Rodriguez and Cristian Olivo (signed one year and two days apart) tell you a lot about Reds international scouting. The organization rarely spent in the international market, and when they did they whiffed big.

When you look at the Reds active roster, you see two homegrown Latin American players, Aquino, along with Iglesias. An indictment of the Reds development and international scouting.

The organization was further behind than we realized when Dick Williams took over.

Turn Off Ads?