Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/1 Minor League Scores

Re: 5/1 Minor League Scores

Looks like McLain is going to be the new Barnhardt/Barnheart type situation. There's only one C, he isn't in Diehard.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

M2 (05-02-2022),NC Reds (05-01-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    McClain is destroying AA. Let him spend June at AAA and bring him up at the ASB.

College player, has more high level experience than most, no need to keep him in the minors very long.

Reds need to transition to new players ASAP, this guy McClain doesn’t need years of minor league development at this point.
    Why would “we” burn a year of control of McLain in a beyond lost season?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Good point. They’ll probably wait until rosters expand or whenever it is they can call him up without starting his clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Good point. They’ll probably wait until rosters expand or whenever it is they can call him up without starting his clock.
    It’s all about perception. It’s a lot harder to cry “time manipulation” when a player is legitimately blocked at the major league level. In McLain’s case, he is blocked at SS by Farmer (a joke but nonetheless true) and Barrero, and at 2B by India. If they want to play MCLain in CF, they need to give him some reps out there while he is in AA and AAA.

The dumb thing would be to bring him up just to let him sit the bench and play once a week. They made that mistake with Barrero and it’s not like this organization is the smartest bear in the woods.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Looks like McLain is going to be the new Barnhardt/Barnheart type situation. There's only one C, he isn't in Diehard.
    yippee ki-yay

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Almora should be up with the parent club now just to see if he can recapture his league average-ish bat. The Reds could use that as either a starter or fourth OF.

Ronnie Dawson should be next in line after Pham or Naquin is dealt.

McLain can be moved to AAA at just about any time. I do like Motter as a stopgap AAAA player, but he can play other positions. McLain might, as well. If Barrero proves for real, 2B (with India moving to 3B) might make sense.
    That’s my thought as well. Especially after watching McLains spring ABs. He’s ready or awfully close to it. Him to 2b, India to 3b makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You get a year of experience too and that matters. He comes up and does well, that’s one less question mark to fill in for next year during the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    You get a year of experience too and that matters. He comes up and does well, that’s one less question mark to fill in for next year during the off-season.
    What do you do if, as is more often the case, he struggles?

Lookouts 3rd Michael Siani steals second no throw. Hopkins Ks Siani steals 3rd easily. Doesn't matter as McLain crushes one to dead center. Its 400 feet marked on the 30 foot wall in center.

Lookouts 6th Gilliam smacked one (looked like a Barry Larkin opposite field smash)for a solo shot.

Lookouts 8th Siani line drive single, TJ Hopkins drills a one hop double to RF gap Siani scores. McLain drills a second HR to almost the same spot in center.

Jay Allen 1st 2b was a liner into left center fielder got to it Allen made it to 2b. His second double was a shot to RF fielder got there before it got to the wall or Allen would've had a 3b.

Andrew Abbott was at 91-93 with his pinpoint FB. His breaking he had great command as well.
    Last edited by icehole3; 05-02-2022 at 05:34 PM.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-02-2022),Mitri (05-02-2022),mth123 (05-02-2022),Old school 1983 (05-02-2022),Rick Palmer (05-03-2022)

What do you do if, as is more often the case, he struggles?
    Let him keep playing. Talent is there. It’ll come through eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Let him keep playing. Talent is there. It’ll come through eventually.
    I just don't see the benefits of bringing him up to the big league level yet.

He's had somewhere around 80 PAs at the AA level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's what I thought, then I saw it so much the other way I forgot which one was wrong.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I just don't see the benefits of bringing him up to the big league level yet.

He's had somewhere around 80 PAs at the AA level.
    I’d hold off a little bit. Probably Julyish unless he just goes off

McLain's bombs reminds me of Jay Bruce. Check out the CFer.

Last edited by icehole3; 05-03-2022 at 07:44 AM.

19. Likes:

Tuff Nut (05-03-2022)

Any reports of McLain's defense at SS? I'm wondering if it may be worth keeping him there at SS, India staying at 2B and Barrero shifting to 3B? Just thinking out loud.

Legit impressed with McLain's bat so far. Hope it's not a mirage.

Turn Off Ads?