Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Good luck to Griffey. I hope the legs hold up playing in CF and I look forward to seeing the Sox in the post-season. Now I'll probably root for them to win it all.

For the record, I've been pretty critical of Griffey and have long thought it was past the time for him to move on. That said, placing the blame for "the lost decade" (to quote Cyclone) on Griffey is not correct. IMO it mostly is on Marge and Uncle Carl.

But Griffey had become a problem defensively. This team is going to move forward on the arms of Cueto, Volquez, Harang, Bailey, Burton, Bray, Cordero and even Arroyo. That group throws-up a lot of fly balls and the team needed to improve out there. The staff is being worn out by having to get the extra outs that the plays not made turn into. There is still quite a bit of crud on this team defensively, but IMO the largest problem was resolved today (and moving Bruce out of CF where I've been less than impressed may actually make this a two spot upgrade). There is still a third of the season to go and a lot of pitches have already been piled on those mostly young and talented arms. I have to think the best return on this deal may be giving them an easier time getting 27 outs in a ballgame between now and the end of September. Lets get out of this lost year with those guys in one piece.

If Massett or Richar surprise and turn ino something, thats a bonus. Hopefully WJ can use the small amount of payflex gained for 2009 to the Reds benefit.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-31-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just heard the WLW promo.

I'd be up for a boycott of their advertisers if I actually lived in the area.

WLW "We put the ass in classless."

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Once you hit noon EST, WLW cannot be taken seriously... at all (except Matt's traffic reports). Cunningham, Jones and whomever, Paul, etc.

I heard the promo on the drive home from work this evening and it did not sit well with me either. Not funny. I turned the station to ESPN Radio and suffered through MANNY-MANNY-MANNY talk.

I actually sort of sided with Brantley during the whole bru-ha-ha, but I heard the ad today as well and agree it was pretty classless. I basically never listen to 700WLW except for games, but I did today, and lo and behold they are doing something stupid. They're an embarassment to the city.

The day the Reds get off of tabloid radio will be a good day for all Reds fans.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I actually sort of sided with Brantley during the whole bru-ha-ha, but I heard the ad today as well and agree it was pretty classless. I basically never listen to 700WLW except for games, but I did today, and lo and behold they are doing something stupid. They're an embarassment to the city.
    And the fact that you listened has WLW dancing in the halls! :
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hopefully WK can use the small amount of payflex gained for 2009 to the Reds benefit.
    WJ

I don't have a lot to add aside from what's already been said - I know it's probably best for both parties to move on, but there's definitely a huge part of me that's sad to see this day come. I truly wish it had worked out better for both the Reds and Junior but I'll be rooting like crazy for the White Sox to win it all so Griffey can get a much deserved ring.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    WJ
    oops
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

what did the promo piece say?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I like Paul Daugherty on SportsTalk. He is much better than Furman was (which isn't saying much, but still). Daugherty listens to the fans' calls, he actually knows sports a little bit and doesn't have a weekly show dedicated to arts and crafts (or whatever that crap was that Furman tried to pull on Friday nights).

But yeah, the rest of WLW is pretty much a joke. It's like going back in time they are so backwards. Seriously, if you want to live in rural Alabama, move there. Ha.

Great line.

If I knew who their advertisers were, I would join that boycott. Fortunately for me, I don't listen to the station, and now will be sure I never do. Not even for Reds games.

Given the promo and the way a huge number of people treated Junior while he was here, I'm glad he's gone. He deserves better. I will never understand the way sports fans treat their stars here. And for the "Reds Radio Network" to air something so classless about a star player is beyond my comprehension. Though I shouldn't be surprised, given the crap spewing from those airwaves on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    what did the promo piece say?
    Something about "Who will the Reds' next half-asser be?" I think they were doing the audio version of "Photoshopping" Lindner's press conference when he announced the Griffey trade.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed View Post
    Great line.

If I knew who their advertisers were, I would join that boycott. Fortunately for me, I don't listen to the station, and now will be sure I never do. Not even for Reds games.

Given the promo and the way a huge number of people treated Junior while he was here, I'm glad he's gone. He deserves better. I will never understand the way sports fans treat their stars here. And for the "Reds Radio Network" to air something so classless about a star player is beyond my comprehension. Though I shouldn't be surprised, given the crap spewing from those airwaves on a daily basis.
    I know, seriously. Can I borrow "They put the ass in classless" for future use? Do I have to pay a royalty fee if I do? That is pretty good. Kudos if you came up with it on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I know, seriously. Can I borrow "They put the ass in classless" for future use? Do I have to pay a royalty fee if I do? That is pretty good. Kudos if you came up with it on your own.
    Yes, I came up with that on my own.

Sometimes I amaze even me.

Turn Off Ads?