Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip Joe Morgan

Re: Rip Joe Morgan

Going to try to state this as diplomatically as possible... In the years when Joe came up to the bigs, there was a prevailing stereotype of what a "smart ballplayer" looked like, and Joe didn't look like that. But Joe was such an incredibly brilliant player that he forced a lot of people to re-examine their prejudices and come to terms with the fact that smart players come in all shapes, sizes and hues. In that way, Joe, by just being Joe, helped knock down the walls of ignorance for a whole generation. RIP, Joe...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-12-2020),757690 (10-12-2020),bounty37h (10-13-2020),Chip R (10-15-2020),cumberlandreds (10-13-2020),dfs (10-12-2020),Johnny Footstool (10-12-2020),Larkin Fan (10-12-2020),M2 (10-12-2020),mth123 (10-12-2020),PTjvs (10-12-2020),Puffy (10-12-2020),RedsBaron (10-12-2020),RichRed (10-12-2020),T Harper (10-12-2020),The Operator (10-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Heartbreaking news. RIP, Little Joe.

2020 just keeps getting worse and worse.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-12-2020),KronoRed (10-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Nicely summed up! When Joe Rudi robbed Menke of a home run, I can remember saying "See? Stupid Trade!"
    lol, heck, we lost 4 one run games in that series. And when we looked at who the only starting player to show up 2 years earlier against the Orioles, we had to think "Lee May would've made up for a few of those runs." So, yeah, 1972 didn't quite convince me that the trade was great. And it took Jack Billingham's back to back 19 win seasons in 73 and 74 plus Pete moving to 3rd and Foster into the outfield to realize just how great a trade it was.

When one of the BRM passes, it's like a family member passing for me.....another important part of my personal history is gone. There's so much more gone than still here.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

dreghorntwo (10-12-2020),goreds2 (10-12-2020),HokieRed (10-13-2020),mth123 (10-12-2020),Redsfan6272 (10-13-2020)

Morgan set the bar for the very best of everything that a #2 hitter in a lineup should be. Everyone else will forever chase his perfection of that spot in the lineup.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Didn't know he lived in Danville. I know Danville well. Nice little community.

Was always disappointed when Sparky removed him after the 2nd inning of a game in which he had 7 RBI's at that point. Could have been a 4-HR, 12-RBI game putting him on another list of elite company. I want to say that it was about June 15th of 1975. It was definitely a Saturday as it was the Game-of-the-Week.

Rip Joe Morgan

I was born in 66 so I just started following the Reds in 77 as a kid. Tony was gone by the time I came to the game.

I’ve had to live 75 and 76 through the time preserved videos.

What year did they had the last on field reunion including Rose? Was it 2016? I booked tickets for that event just because I was determined to witness that great 8 before this day happened.

I think I was too busy giving a standing ovation to take a picture. God what a team and player! RIP Lil Joe.

game 5 1972 world series started double play at home to throw out blue moon odom

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Morgan set the bar for the very best of everything that a #2 hitter in a lineup should be. Everyone else will forever chase his perfection of that spot in the lineup.
    Well, he must have done it batting 3rd since that where he was 90 percent of the time he won his back to back MVPs.

15. Likes:

dreghorntwo (10-12-2020)

The best Reds starter dies and within a month or so their best all-around hitter/player. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Well, he must have done it batting 3rd since that where he was 90 percent of the time he won his back to back MVPs.
    I realize that (the only way he could get 7 RBI's in 2 AB's by the 2nd inning). He was better in the 2-hole. He was the perfect #2 hitter. Bench's and Perez's lower averages forced them down the lineup and Morgan into the #3 spot, but he was better as the #2 if he had had better protection behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I realize that (the only way he could get 7 RBI's in 2 AB's by the 2nd inning). He was better in the 2-hole. He was the perfect #2 hitter. Bench's and Perez's lower averages forced them down the lineup and Morgan into the #3 spot, but he was better as the #2 if he had had better protection behind him.
    Actually, I think it had more to do with the fact we had Griffey. batting average and speed, with less power than Joe, it just made sense for him to bat 2nd. Also, while Joe was a better base stealer than Griff, I think Griff was the better and certainly faster base runner. Joe was a great hitter regardless of being 2nd or 3rd. Personally, I always thought Barry Larkin was the perfect #2 hitter. He had great bat control and could put the ball in play where it needed to be put based on the situation. And he was less streaky(Don't get me wrong, Joe was pretty consistent for a guy that also provided power).
    Last edited by foster15; 10-12-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Someone please put Johnny Bench in a safe place.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

20. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2020),dfs (10-12-2020),M2 (10-12-2020)

His age 77 seems too young to die now it's crazy that it didn't back in the 70's when he was a player.
    Last edited by blumj; 10-12-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?