Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Tough red card for Switzerland, thought they looked more likely to take this game until that call. Spain's creating nothing and there's holes in their defense.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good win for Italy. They were the better team, which surprised me. I like the talent of Insigne, Chiesa and Spinnazzola but the rest of the squad leaves me indifferent. However, as a team Mancini has them playing smart and determined football.
    Spain v Italy is a tasty matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Good win for Italy. They were the better team, which surprised me. I like the talent of Insigne, Chiesa and Spinnazzola but the rest of the squad leaves me indifferent. However, as a team Mancini has them playing smart and determined football.
    Spain v Italy is a tasty matchup.
    Spinnazola tore his achilles tendon, and will be out for several months. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...njury-belgium/

This Italy/Spain second half has been just stellar. Holy wow what beautiful soccer.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Betterread (07-06-2021),schmidty622 (07-06-2021)

Jorginho scores the ultimate PK, with a late hop before the strike to fake out the keeper. Great kick. Forza Azzurri!
    Bravo Spain. They played well, much better for sections of the game. Kay Murray is sad they lost.
    Last edited by Betterread; 07-06-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Absurd PK. Awesome. I can’t imagine having the balls to do that with everything on the line for your country. Amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine not liking international soccer.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Spain should have won 4-1 in regular time. As a fan it’s incredibly disappointing to see Italy advance to the finals of a major tournament with that performance.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

10. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Spain should have won 4-1 in regular time. As a fan it’s incredibly disappointing to see Italy advance to the finals of a major tournament with that performance.
    Spain's chances were mostly half chances. They had the advantage for almost the whole game and couldn't make it pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Spain played pretty football but lacked the final key pass or shot. They lacked conviction. Italy countered with total conviction.
    That was why it was an even match. And then penalties decided it. Italy is the lucky team this euro. They don’t have that much talent (although to my eyes, Chiesa is the best player on both teams) but they are playing well enough to be competitive.
    Petri was a revelation. Why didn’t Llorente (Sevilla) get more playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Why didn’t Llorente (Sevilla) get more playing time?
    Luis Enrique only plays him as a right back, which I don't get when he creates all kinds of havoc for Atletico as a more forward player. But I don't get a lot of what Luis Enrique does.

14. Likes:

Betterread (07-07-2021)

Just a brutal brutal loss for England.

General thoughts on the final:

1. Mancini is a hell of a coach, because that Italy team is not overflowing with talent.

2. How are Sterling and Grealish not taking those final two penalties, especially Sterling. He was the most-capped player on the team.

3. England fans were so obnoxious leading into this final it was hard not to root for Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    General thoughts on the final:

1. Mancini is a hell of a coach, because that Italy team is not overflowing with talent.

2. How are Sterling and Grealish not taking those final two penalties, especially Sterling. He was the most-capped player on the team.

3. England fans were so obnoxious leading into this final it was hard not to root for Italy.
    I called it when he put in Rashford and Sancho in right at the end thinking how dumb it would be to have the first touch of the game be a high pressure PK. That made no sense to me at all. And maybe Zaka has a strong record with PKs, and while he has been solid in the tournament, he was dreadful from the moment he got into this game. I think southgate crapped,his bed on setting his PK lineup.

Italy is a worthy champion and they’re not as easy to dislike as the Italian teams of the past. Chiesa was probably the best player in this tournament.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah I didn’t get the PK lineup at all. No reason to put Saka 5th. Not having Sterling take one at all is insane. It was smart to put Rashford and Sancho in there just in case, but not to be automatically in the lineup.

Italia e campeones d’Europe 2021. Love the move to have Spinna go on stage first, on crutches.
    What a save Donnarumma made on Sancho. Mancini changed the game by subbing Berardi for Immobile. Berardi, Chiesa and Insigne put the English defenders on roller skates the whole second half. Instead, Southgate should have pressed the Italian midfield like Spain did. Gareth, you could have brought fame to England and Middlesbrough but you played it too safe.
    God, Chiellini looks evil, even when he’s happy. Two games in a row, when they do the coin flip for penalties, he hugged the surprised other captain like he’s Don Corleone. I wouldn’t let him touch me, other than the handshake.

Turn Off Ads?