Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Re: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Pac12 says they will announce their expansion plans, if any, this week, seems weird to think they will announce nothing, guess they might want Texas Tech? Ok State? a lot of eh.
    Were I in charge, I'd go Fresno State, San Diego State, BYU, UNLV, Nevada, and maybe Gonzaga in basketball only. But really, expanding on the west coast doesn't make much sense, honestly.

The Big 12 has many more appealing options.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

What I'd like to see the Pac-12 announce in regards to expansion is, "you know, the courts pretty much blew up the entire NCAA model this year, and until we figure out what college sports is going to look like five years from now, there's no point in it."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Pac 12 announces they won't do anything.
    Go Gators!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Pac 12 announces they won't do anything.
    Good...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    What I'd like to see the Pac-12 announce in regards to expansion is, "you know, the courts pretty much blew up the entire NCAA model this year, and until we figure out what college sports is going to look like five years from now, there's no point in it."
    Yeah. The problem with that is that you have to be proactive - like the SEC - and not reactive - like the Big XII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Looks like this thing is going to move quicker than most expected in regards to the Big12 expanding. The Athletic reported (and every other media outlet confirmed) that the 4 additions will be BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston. The Athletic also reported that Bowlsby was @ Houston yesterday apparently discussing details. Subsequent reports suggest that invitations will go out within weeks, and BYU will likely join (at least in football) before next season and then their other sports may follow after they give their required notice to the MWC. It is unclear when the 3 AAC schools would join since they will have to provide up to a 27 month notice to the AAC, but there is an assumption that could be negotiated down to where they could maybe join by 2023.

Aresco is fairly aggressive and I assume the AAC may want to add 4 to get back to 12. They dropped to 11 with UConn's exit. Any thoughts on who they may add? Army for football only would seem like a solid move.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Sounds like the AAC part 2, at least WVU won't be alone on their island anymore.
    Go Gators!

Sounds like the AAC part 2, at least WVU won't be alone on their island anymore.
    I disagree. BYU is clearly a P5 level program, and I think UCF may elevate to a near elite level program within a decade (near elite to me is annual conference champions contender, routine NY6 participant). Cincinnati is currently a Top 10 team. Houston is probably the most questionable....but there is no logical reason that Houston cannot be similar to TCU, Baylor, etc. The metrics will show it is a strong conference....just lacks the 1 or 2 blue bloods every other P5 conference has besides the SEC which has 5 or 6.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I disagree. BYU is clearly a P5 level program, and I think UCF may elevate to a near elite level program within a decade (near elite to me is annual conference champions contender, routine NY6 participant). Cincinnati is currently a Top 10 team. Houston is probably the most questionable....but there is no logical reason that Houston cannot be similar to TCU, Baylor, etc. The metrics will show it is a strong conference....just lacks the 1 or 2 blue bloods every other P5 conference has besides the SEC which has 5 or 6.
    Its now a conference without a top tier team, but a competitive conference none the less.

FWIW I think Houston could be the prize in expansion. Cincinnati brings a quality team with a committed AD.

I am not real high on UCF. Yes they have geography on their side, but they are the obvious #4 team in the state, and fend off everyone for Florida recruits.

If UCF becomes routinely in NY6 bowls that would be shocking
    What would you say.....ya do here?

As a UC fan and alum, this is really exciting after getting left behind 10 years ago. Won't get my hopes up *too* much though after what the Big 12 did in 2016, but it seems like it's really going to happen this time.

I have a hard time believing BYU being invited or accepting an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I have a hard time believing BYU being invited or accepting an invite.
    Why wouldn't BYU be invited? They're by far the #1 brand left outside the power conferences.

Calling it now, the announced attendance at Nippert tomorrow will be 40,012.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-03-2021 at 10:22 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

16. Likes:

Chip R (09-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    As a UC fan and alum, this is really exciting after getting left behind 10 years ago. Won't get my hopes up *too* much though after what the Big 12 did in 2016, but it seems like it's really going to happen this time.
    I'm pleased. The football is decent, albeit without a blue blood leading the charge. Still two teams ranked in the top 10 to start this season (Iowa State and UC). The basketball is excellent. Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, WVU and Cincinnati is a pretty strong core. Iowa State has been a strong program in the past. Kansas State and Oklahoma State have had their moments over the years. The biggest upgrade for UC just from a competitiveness standpoint is not having your schedule littered with garbage opponents like ECU or Tulane (both in football and basketball).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-03-2021),Boss-Hog (09-03-2021),paintmered (09-03-2021),Powel Crosley (09-04-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?