Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Rams v Pats Super Bowl
    Welp hopefully they'll post the commercials early on Youtube so I can skip this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Likes:

WVRed (01-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    KC gave up three 3rd and 10s. I feel no sympathy for the 31st rated defense in the NFL.

No one would be clamoring for a rule change had the Chiefs won on the first possession. THe level of hate for the greatest dynasty, arguably in any sport, is amazing to see in full force.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the game was 3.5 hours long already. No one wants to watch another hour of football to find the winner. I don't mind the rule.
    It’s not so much hate as it is an expected outcome (last year being the exception). I’ll give credit there where it was due, you beat the Patriots by keeping your foot on the gas and that’s what Pederson did last year. The Patriots had too much time to score and the Chiefs has just enough to get in field goal range.

There’s nothing to hate though. Belichick adjusted his defense from the first game and rattled Mahomes until the second half and by then it was almost too late. Even then, Brady essentially controlled time of possession and wore down the Chiefs 31st ranked defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-21-2019)

The missed PI call in the Saints game was terrible, but the refs missed a clear face mask on Goff earlier in the 4th quarter, which would have given the Rams first and goal from the 1. Instead they kicked a FG. The PI was blatant, but the missed calls canceled themselves out IMO. Also, PI should have been called, but it would have been bailing out a terrible pass from Brees. It easily could have been a pick 6 if Robey didn't completely misplay it. People are making a big deal about it because it was an obvious miss, but I think claiming that the game was stolen is a bit dramatic. Bad calls equally affected the teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-21-2019),Revering4Blue (01-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    KC gave up three 3rd and 10s. I feel no sympathy for the 31st rated defense in the NFL.

No one would be clamoring for a rule change had the Chiefs won on the first possession. THe level of hate for the greatest dynasty, arguably in any sport, is amazing to see in full force.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the game was 3.5 hours long already. No one wants to watch another hour of football to find the winner. I don't mind the rule.
    I don't hate the Patriots. I just think each team should get the ball once.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Spring Training, even for minor leaguers is not in April. Probably early March.
    Jax, you're a moderator so you should know this, but since you didn't post what you were referring to, it leads to confusion. In looking back, the only thing I can see where April was mentioned was my post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm thinking some team will overdraft him in April.

Just wonderin':

Does he need a football agent in addition to Boras?
    In it I'm clearly talking about the NFL draft. I make no reference to Spring Training in April.

In a later post I reference ST in the context that it happens before the draft.

Where are you getting that someone said ST is in April?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I don't hate the Patriots. I just think each team should get the ball once.
    I agree....but when talking play off NFL football, I think they should play the entire OT period.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I agree....but when talking play off NFL football, I think they should play the entire OT period.
    Or just shrink the time to 10 minutes and both teams get a crack at it.

I’d rather see college football rules implemented myself, but it would never happen and likely defeat shortening the game.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-22-2019)

Speaking of the Patriots:

If they win in two weeks, does Brady and/or Belichick retire?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Speaking of the Patriots:

If they win in two weeks, does Brady and/or Belichick retire?
    I doubt it, especially Brady. I think he loves playing too much to retire as long as he is still playing at a high level.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Saints fans aren’t letting this one go:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...put-billboards

Good for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I doubt it, especially Brady. I think he loves playing too much to retire as long as he is still playing at a high level.
    "It's good to be da King."

Only one in one thousand Kings or Queens will abdicate honorably while at the top.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The thing about that play not only was it interference it was a helmet to helmet hit too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That is not entirely true. Brady was a great QB in college...he just had some misfortune. First was Griese......then came Drew Henson, the prodigy. New England knew what they were getting.
    I certainly understand those "roadblocks" that stood in Brady's way in college, and that he was only the starter for two years. But by the numbers, and also watching him play, he was a good QB, but not a great QB, in college. One can certainly say that he had a "tough" time at Michigan when it came to the QB position because he faced an uphill battle vs Griese and highly touted Henson. The biggest obstacle there was Lloyd Carr. He bought into the Henson hype lock-stock-and barrel. Even when Brady did get in and play well Carr didn't want to give him credit, and the conversation always turned to how great Henson was going to be (LOL). Even after the '98 season when he was the starter, did well, Carr would say the QB job isn't settled going into '99. Brady operated under the constant "threat" of being benched.

So yeah - all the above probably suppressed Brady's talent and kept us from seeing the "real" Tom Brady. And there was also Carr's offensive scheme at Michigan too that didn't maximize Brady's talents in those two years he was the starter.

NOTE: When was the last time Michigan had this much QB talent on their roster at the same time in the likes of Griese, Henson, and Brady? LOL

But my previous post was not really a slap at Brady (because I'm a fan); but more of an indictment of the scout/drafting system in college. There's still a lot of "laziness" so that players like Brady get overlooked. The standard comp on Brady coming out of college was - skinny kid, not athletic, lacks arm strength. And then there was that dreadful Combine performance. That didn't help. He fell through the cracks. And we can list a whole lot of NFL superstar players who did likewise.

If scouts had been looking for the right things, they’d have known Brady was going to be a good NFL quarterback. GM Ernie Accorsi, well known for being adept at identifying good QBs (drafted Elway, Kosar, Eli) ignored his scout (Walsh) and passed on Brady. Here's what Walsh said years later ...

“I watched Brady, and he was actually pretty good. He was very careful with his passes, very accurate, no interceptions. I wondered if his arm would be strong enough. If you saw him — and he was listed that day at 6-foot-5, 195 pounds — he didn’t look good. He looked kind of emaciated, with no muscle definition.”

“I put him on the list,” the scout said, “and figured, it can’t hurt. Let’s give him a grade and at least we can talk about him. Turns out nobody else [with the Giants] had his name down. I gave Brady a middle-to-late-round grade, and when I was in the draft room I guess I got drowned out. Whoever heard of Tom Brady?”
    Personally, I think the "miss" on Brady forced a lot of NFL scouting programs to re-think their strategy on evaluating college QBs. Or at least it should have (LOL). They started to look more in-depth, break down, the various aspects of a QB's game, will that fit their offensive scheme? It's not just about going after the stereotypical athlete with a good arm. And the NFL has reaped benefits from it too because we're seeing solid QBs from small schools getting noticed, getting drafted high, and having success at that level (Big Ben, Wentz, Allen, etc).
    Last edited by GAC; 01-23-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The miss on Brady had more to do with intangibles than physical abilities. His desire, work ethic and confidence is what made Tom Brady a better NFL quarterback than he showed in college.

Combines aren't good at identifying any of those traits.

20. Likes:

GAC (01-26-2019),Kingspoint (01-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Jax, you're a moderator so you should know this, but since you didn't post what you were referring to, it leads to confusion. In looking back, the only thing I can see where April was mentioned was my post:

In it I'm clearly talking about the NFL draft. I make no reference to Spring Training in April.

In a later post I reference ST in the context that it happens before the draft.

Where are you getting that someone said ST is in April?
    In the second post of the thread, someone quoted Rotoworld

"RapSheet also made it clear that Murray's decision to submit his name as a 2019 draft prospect does not necessarily mean he will play in the NFL. Murray's agent, Scott Boras, has told the Oakland Athletics his client will report to spring training on time in April"

Just pointing out that spring training is in Feb and March, not April. Had nothing to do with your posts.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

22. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?