Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Wood

Re: Alex Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not second guessing the trade, assume Reds checked into Wood's health. And Puig is a major addition, so fine.

But Reds did give up two very good prospects, so I hope they get some use out of Wood this year. I'd hate to have another Ryan Madsen type situation. It's still early in the season, even June 1 would allow two months before the trade deadline.

So hope this thing turns around.
    Downs and Gray for the right to foot his medical bills and get him right for his next contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    3.86 FIP
    0.4 fWAR

the only one with a positive fWAR from that trade.

Not saying it will happen, but it’s a possibility.
    This is an example of why I have issues with FIP and fwar for pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My non-medical opinion is that this is more than just back spasms. Something ain’t right.
    I want to agree with you Roy. I'm an old fart now, but I've dealt with lower back issues for the last 25 years. And my line of work didn't help matters much. Dealt with the back spasms, inflammation, sciatic nerves, the whole works. When it occurs it's not fun. I was off work at times, depending on it's severity, 1-2 weeks. The rehab aspect of it is what draws the process out. It's not something that can be rushed. So I can understand them taking caution with Woods.

But is there some other "unknown" source/cause for these recurring back spasms? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt - no matter how skeptical many are of this front office (and rightly so) - that when it comes to one's back health they've covered all their bases as far as examinations, x-rays, etc. It could be a chronic condition too. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was younger. Doc said it wouldn't be too much of an issue because I was in my teens. But later in life, yes, it could be an issue. And it did contribute to my lower back issues as I got older. Couldn't stay in alignment (LOL).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I suppose it is still 'early' in the season, but I do wonder if he'll ever pitch for the Reds.

The Reds need to let all the potential FA go and focus the resources on three players. A top end starter (better than Wood or Roark or Gray), a SS who is a strong defender and a decent hitter and a late inning reliever. No extension for Wood, Roark, Puig, Scooter, Kemp, Hernandez or Duke. Dietrich isn't a FA, I'd keep him and I exercise Hughes option (though that might change if he keeps being so up and down. If they let Hughes go, they may need two relievers. Iglesias might be the SS, but I'd look for a similar glove with a better bat, being fully aware that may not be possible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds need to let all the potential FA go and focus the resources on three players. A top end starter (better than Wood or Roark or Gray), a SS who is a strong defender and a decent hitter and a late inning reliever. No extension for Wood, Roark, Puig, Scooter, Kemp, Hernandez or Duke. Dietrich isn't a FA, I'd keep him and I exercise Hughes option (though that might change if he keeps being so up and down. If they let Hughes go, they may need two relievers. Iglesias might be the SS, but I'd look for a similar glove with a better bat, being fully aware that may not be possible.
    They are doing to have to extend Roark or Wood. There’s no help coming from the minors for the rotation. To get a top of the line starter you need to have a good arm to send back, which the Reds don’t have.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    They are doing to have to extend Roark or Wood. There’s no help coming from the minors for the rotation. To get a top of the line starter you need to have a good arm to send back, which the Reds don’t have.
    Maybe. Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Acquisition and competition. I still think Greinke is the guy to target. Taking his contract will keep the cost in talent down. Vlad and lesser parts should do it. If the Reds let all those guys walk, they can afford him easily. I'd be comfortable rotating Sims, Santillan and whoever from the scrap heap in the fifth starter role as long as they get a top guy to go with Castillo and Gray.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Downs and Gray for the right to foot his medical bills and get him right for his next contract.
    I just don’t think Downs is going to amount to anything, I guess.

It’s early of course, but he’s currently performing terribly at A+.

Gray will probably end up in the majors, but as a reliever.

I’ll do that for Puig alone all day long. Shrugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Why are you so down on Santillan?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-29-2019),HammerTime (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you so down on Santillan?
    I’m with you on Downs. Don’t see it. Either way you do that trade 100 out of 100 times for the potential of Wood and Puig. You will be able to get equal value in comp picks at minimum if you let them walk.The Homer/Kemp part is a wash either way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Downs is the best player the Reds traded this winter, especially if the Dodgers can get him to stick at SS. He's nearly 3 years younger than the average player in his league right now and he's carrying a .246 BAbip in that tiny sample size.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I’m with you on Downs. Don’t see it. Either way you do that trade 100 out of 100 times for the potential of Wood and Puig. You will be able to get equal value in comp picks at minimum if you let them walk.
    Comp picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Downs is the best player the Reds traded this winter, especially if the Dodgers can get him to stick at SS. He's nearly 3 years younger than the average player in his league right now and he's carrying a .246 BAbip in that tiny sample size.

- - - Updated - - -

Comp picks?
    I think if Gray had another year of pro ball under his belt when that trade went down it would have been fairly obvious he’s the best player the Reds traded this offseason. Yeah, Downs is 2.4 years younger than the average age at a+, but it’s his 3rd year in pro ball, and frankly that excuse doesn’t work for me anymore. Yorman was always young for his levels too, in the end he just sucked at a young age.

Challenge thy hitters, and when they are mediocre blame it on their youth, I guess.

Like I said, I just don’t see it, I can certainly be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Comp picks?
    When they leave as a FA my guess is they will offer both QO and when they sign with someone else the Reds will get a comp pick.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    When they leave as a FA my guess is they will offer both QO and when they sign with someone else the Reds will get a comp pick.
    The Reds didn’t make Cozart a QO, so I doubt they will with either Puig or Wood.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds didn’t make Cozart a QO, so I doubt they will with either Puig or Wood.
    Only 5 of the 73 guys that have been offered a QO have accepted it since the system began in 2012. Puig and Wood are looking to get paid so there is virtually no chance either accept it. Cozart was not looking for a contract anything close to what those two are and the Reds didn’t wanna be on the hook for $17.5M for him.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-28-2019)

I think they are going to extend Puig

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-28-2019)

Turn Off Ads?