Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds should look to add a long term solution at SS. Jose Iglesias is a decent option, but he’s in his declining years, so maybe not him specifically. But for this year, the SS job should be his to lose at this point.
    29 is now the declining years? I'd pay every penny I ever earned in my lifetime to be 29 again, but that's just me.. On second thought 29 and absolutely broke for life? ehhhh... let me keep at least a few years of earnings to afford some ramen noodles every now and then.. lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, which team would pay Iglesias $4 Million per year or so? Tankers won't pay that much for a stopgap. Contenders mostly all have a better option. Mets, Phillies, Braves all have better options. Cubs, Brewers Cardinals all have better options. Nationals, Rockies, Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs? D-Backs maybe, but their top prospect is a SS in AA.

In the AL who? A's? Angels? Twins? White Sox? Indians? Astros? none of those teams need him. Yankees, Red Sox, Rays? All better options internally. Blue Jays have Bichette, a high end prospect in AAA. Not seeing a market. The Giants have a high dollar guy locked in for a while. I can't see them pursuing him. Kansas City has Mondesi as one if their better players. No interest there IMO.

If his agent is worth a darn, he won't be cutting the reds off with an offer of a couple years at $4 Million each. If he wants to take his chances that Detroit, Pittsburgh, Miami or Baltimore would pay him more than that, good luck to him. He'll find himself back on a minor league deal. Now that I've had time to look more closely, $4 Million per year might be more than it would take.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    29 is now the declining years? I'd pay every penny I ever earned in my lifetime to be 29 again, but that's just me.. On second thought 29 and absolutely broke for life? ehhhh... let me keep at least a few years of earnings to afford some ramen noodles every now and then.. lol
    25-28 peak, 29-32 slow decline, 33+ very few players anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If you sign Iglesias then you're committing to him as your starting SS and you're demoting Peraza to super sub or trade bait. That's a big decision. Are we really there yet?
    As of 6/19, and IMO? Yeah, as far as "I've seen enough of Peraza". Don't mind having him on the bench though because of his versatility.

With all due respect ... 2 yrs/8M? Why doesn't Williams just walk up to him and literally smack him the face? LOL

Iglesias has established himself as a superb defensive SS. The question is his bat. These types of players are pretty consistently in the market. At SS, the priority is that middle defense. From the offensive side, I'm figuring there may be some GABP effect. But so what? Isn't that why a "slugger" like Puig is here?

I would like to see some stability at SS. And I think Iglesias can give us that. Unless they want to keep going out into the market and find another "inexpensive" one. The Reds offered him a minor league contract, and he's making $2.5M in '19. He made $6M in his last year at Detroit.

I'd offer him a 3 yr contract (option 4th) for around $32M. How much is his defense worth? And if not him, then who plays SS for this team in '20?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Go through team by team and tell me who is going to give him a better deal than $4 Million a year for a couple years guaranteed? Contenders all have an in house option that Iglesias won't displace. Others have a hot prospect or their own big contract manning the position. The tankers aren't paying that much. They'll wait for their own minor league contract guy or play an iffy kid there. I just don't see the market for Igleisas. The Reds don't need to overpay and I don't see him getting a better deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

HammerTime (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    As of 6/19, and IMO? Yeah, as far as "I've seen enough of Peraza". Don't mind having him on the bench though because of his versatility.

With all due respect ... 2 yrs/8M? Why doesn't Williams just walk up to him and literally smack him the face? LOL

Iglesias has established himself as a superb defensive SS. The question is his bat. These types of players are pretty consistently in the market. At SS, the priority is that middle defense. From the offensive side, I'm figuring there may be some GABP effect. But so what? Isn't that why a "slugger" like Puig is here?

I would like to see some stability at SS. And I think Iglesias can give us that. Unless they want to keep going out into the market and find another "inexpensive" one. The Reds offered him a minor league contract, and he's making $2.5M in '19. He made $6M in his last year at Detroit.

I'd offer him a 3 yr contract (option 4th) for around $32M. How much is his defense worth? And if not him, then who plays SS for this team in '20?
    In fairness that quote from me was at the beginning of May. He's more valuable now than he was then. It is a moving target. As of right now I think your target of 3/$32mill is high

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Go through team by team and tell me who is going to give him a better deal than $4 Million a year for a couple years guaranteed? Contenders all have an in house option that Iglesias won't displace. Others have a hot prospect or their own big contract manning the position. The tankers aren't paying that much. They'll wait for their own minor league contract guy or play an iffy kid there. I just don't see the market for Igleisas. The Reds don't need to overpay and I don't see him getting a better deal.
    The Angels are on a roll for bad contracts. The point here is that it only takes one idiot team to overpay. I never thought Cozart would get what he did

In fairness that quote from me was at the beginning of May. He's more valuable now than he was then. It is a moving target. As of right now I think your target of 3/$32mill is high

- - - Updated - - -

The Angels are on a roll for bad contracts. The point here is that it only takes one idiot team to overpay. I never thought Cozart would get what he did
    No the point is supply and demand. The Angels have Andrelton Simmons. Iglesias is a glove first SS, not some guy a team will sign to play 2B or 3B for offense. If a team doesn't have an opening at SS, he's not getting a contract. He might get an offer as a bench player, but it won't be a two year guarantee for $4 Million per year. It will likely be a minor league deal like he got from the reds this year or a big league deal with bench player salary of a couple Million for one year.

As I said, if you go team by team, there are very few teams with an opening. I just don't see it taking a $30 Million + commitment. I don't even see a $10 Million guarantee as necessary.

In fairness that quote from me was at the beginning of May. He's more valuable now than he was then.
    And that was kinda the point I was making. And it wasn't really directed as much towards you - which is why I included another poster's 2 yr/$4M suggestion - but that it was MAY, a month into the new season, and we're already suggesting contracts for Iglesias? Very premature. And Iglesias, even at that stage of the season, would laugh at that offer.

It is a moving target. As of right now I think your target of 3/$32mill is high
    I agree it's a moving target. Plenty of baseball left. I may have not worded it properly, but the $32M included the 4th option year. He made $6M in his last year at Detroit. You got him for 3 years at $8M, with a team option for the 4th. IMO, $8M ain't breaking the bank for what he brings to the table.

I may be old school, but I think that when it comes to SS (and Catcher), the primary is defense. Iglesias is a superior defender IMO. I watched that short hop play in last night's game - just like I've watched him all year, and over the years - and this guy is smooth, makes it look so easy. He will give you that defense for the next few years, as well as some stability at the position. The question is - what's it worth? Concepcion's career slash line was .322 .357 .679. No, this isn't the BRM; but I look at what the Red's options are ...

1) develop the next "Larkin". Ain't even coming close. See nothing on the immediate horizon in our system
    2) Grow the gonads and sign a solid, established FA (total package) Ain't happening
    3) Go out this off-season and find another Iglesias in the market. Possible
    4) Give Peraza, who is under their control/cheap another shot while keeping your fingers crossed.
    5) Keep Iglesias who ain't "perfect", but will fulfill the role of giving you solid defense up the middle for the next few years while carrying an OPS in the range of .700 (maybe slightly better due to GABP).

And then, besides SS, we have to address another critical INF position in 2B. Will the Reds let either Iglesias or Gennett walk, while letting Peraza fill that vacancy? Who knows. It's Cincy.

Detroit let Iglesias walk, and don't have an answer yet at SS. Pretty much being filled by committee. Over the last month I've read a few articles on teams like the Pirates and Arizona who were in need at SS, had opportunities to sign Iglesias when he was available, but didn't, and now looking back wish they had.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-20-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

If I'm the Reds I would offer maybe 16 Mill for 2 years with an option for the 3rd. Keep Peraza as a Supersub.
    The Stop And Chat

12. Likes:

GAC (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bagz View Post
    If I'm the Reds I would offer maybe 16 Mill for 2 years with an option for the 3rd. Keep Peraza as a Supersub.
    Sounds good to me. Anything in the area of reasonable. But a serious effort should be made to retain him, unless they got something better on the horizon.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.

14. Likes:

bagz (06-20-2019)

3-32... wtf

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-20-2019),mth123 (06-20-2019),Slyder (06-20-2019)

And then, besides SS, we have to address another critical INF position in 2B. Will the Reds let either Iglesias or Gennett walk, while letting Peraza fill that vacancy? Who knows. It's Cincy.
    If it were my decision I'd pencil in Dietrich as the primary 2B, and let Scooter walk. From what I've seen Dietrich is the better defender, and he gets on base as much as Scooter with his BB and HBP making up for his low average. I'd give Farmer the platoon starts vs lefties, and that gives you a 2B platoon that has a 1.000 ops vs RHP and a .943 ops vs LHP. Peraza I could do without. Yeah he's versatile, but he's carrying a .600 ops, and his only good defensive position is 2B where we have much better offensive options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    3-32... wtf
    I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

19. Likes:

Rece Tyler (06-20-2019)

And that was kinda the point I was making. And it wasn't really directed as much towards you - which is why I included another poster's 2 yr/$4M suggestion - but that it was MAY, a month into the new season, and we're already suggesting contracts for Iglesias? Very premature. And Iglesias, even at that stage of the season, would laugh at that offer.

I agree it's a moving target. Plenty of baseball left. I may have not worded it properly, but the $32M included the 4th option year. He made $6M in his last year at Detroit. You got him for 3 years at $8M, with a team option for the 4th. IMO, $8M ain't breaking the bank for what he brings to the table.

I may be old school, but I think that when it comes to SS (and Catcher), the primary is defense. Iglesias is a superior defender IMO. I watched that short hop play in last night's game - just like I've watched him all year, and over the years - and this guy is smooth, makes it look so easy. He will give you that defense for the next few years, as well as some stability at the position. The question is - what's it worth? Concepcion's career slash line was .322 .357 .679. No, this isn't the BRM; but I look at what the Red's options are ...

1) develop the next "Larkin". Ain't even coming close. See nothing on the immediate horizon in our system
    2) Grow the gonads and sign a solid, established FA (total package) Ain't happening
    3) Go out this off-season and find another Iglesias in the market. Possible
    4) Give Peraza, who is under their control/cheap another shot while keeping your fingers crossed.
    5) Keep Iglesias who ain't "perfect", but will fulfill the role of giving you solid defense up the middle for the next few years while carrying an OPS in the range of .700 (maybe slightly better due to GABP).

Detroit let Iglesias walk, and don't have an answer yet at SS. Pretty much being filled by committee. Over the last month I've read a few articles on teams like the Pirates and Arizona who were in need at SS, had opportunities to sign Iglesias when he was available, but didn't, and now looking back wish they had.
    OK, well your deal is very similar to mine, 3/$20mill.

OK, well your deal is very similar to mine, 3/$20mill.
    Well, its a 60% difference. Not exactly a mirror image.

Maybe thats how the Reds landed on the Homer Bailey contract target.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?