Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast

Thread: 9/10: Reds vs. Pirates--IT'S SLUMP BUSTER TIME

Re: 9/10: Reds vs. Pirates--IT'S SLUMP BUSTER TIME

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    What was he supposed to do argue with the umpire on that call. If he says take the base you take the base.
    Exactly. Accusing Votto of being scared to hit at any point is a freakin' joke. But claiming that Votto's scared because he takes first after being HBP? Well, that may be the most foolish thing I've seen posted on the ORG.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Another crappy at bat from Rolen
    Do U have any idea how stupid this makes U sound....?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Do U have any idea how stupid this makes U sound....?
    Is this necessary? No matter the ultimate result, can't blame anyone for being frustrated at that point in time. But either way... what's the point in calling someone out? Especially in this manner?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Is this necessary? No matter the ultimate result, can't blame anyone for being frustrated at that point in time. But either way... what's the point in calling someone out? Especially in this manner?
    Saying someone has a terrible AB before it's over??????

And U defend that?

Rolen's single put us in the huge % position to win, yet someone referred to it as a terrible AB before it was over.

You say he was frustrated because we had runners on first and second with zero outs, one run would win us the game. and Rolen , who never trailed in the count, didn't immediately win us the game?

I called him out becuse he was calling an AB terrible before it was largely resonsible for winning us a game.

Yet U defend it.....

Get real.....
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 09-11-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Exactly. Accusing Votto of being scared to hit at any point is a freakin' joke. But claiming that Votto's scared because he takes first after being HBP? Well, that may be the most foolish thing I've seen posted on the ORG.
    He didn't come close to getting hit. He wanted to get on to help the team so he pretended to get hit.

That's weird for someone as great as Joey. I think he is pressing and realized tonight he wasn't seeing the ball well. Another at bat early in the game he took a strike 3 looking like it was a 3-0 pitch. It happens.

I don't think it's that foolish to say it's surprising to see someone as great as Votto pretend to get hit by a pitch.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Saying someone has a terrible AB before it's over??????

And U defend that?

Rolen's single put us in the huge % position to win, yet someone referred to it as a terrible AB before it was over.

You say he was frustrated because we had runners on first and second with zero outs, one run would win us the game. and Rolen , who never trailed in the count, didn't immediately win us the game?

I called him out becuse he was calling an AB terrible before it was largely resonsible for winning us a game.

Yet U defend it.....

Get real.....
    Didn't say I was agreeing with it. But why do you feel the need to call him out for it? Does it ruin your day? Do you have to say someone looks stupid because you don't like it?

Is it silly to harp on an at-bat before it's over? Sure. But so what? Why does it bother you. What personal investment do you have coming to tell someone how stupid they look for it?

I'm not the one that needs to get real. It's unnecessary of you. You're not the reaction police, so no reason to tell people how "stupid" they look for reacting some way you dislike.

It's a game thread. Guess what? People get frustrated in the heat of the moment. But there's nothing to be gained for you to come and tell them how they should react. It's neither your job, your place or even your business to do so.

I'm not defending it. I just don't see who's place it is for you to call him out for it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He didn't come close to getting hit. He wanted to get on to help the team so he pretended to get hit.

That's weird for someone as great as Joey. I think he is pressing and realized tonight he wasn't seeing the ball well. Another at bat early in the game he took a strike 3 looking like it was a 3-0 pitch. It happens.

I don't think it's that foolish to say it's surprising to see someone as great as Votto pretend to get hit by a pitch.
    First off, yes he did come close to gettng hit. I'd argue the ump made the right call as it looked to me the ball grazed the jersey, which of course counts as a HBP. Borderline call either way.

Secondly, you claimed Votto was scared to bat, which is absurd. I can point to countless examples of him battling flame throwers (Jonathan Broxton immediately comes to mind) in extended ABs, routinely fouling off upper 90s heat. Although I guess now it's been changed to surprise that he pretended to get hit, which I still find ridiculous. The pitcher threw it way up and in, and somehow Votto did something wrong by having the ump tell him to go to 1st base.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I do'nt want to see anyone come into this thread and complain later about the negativity. This game was uggggly.

Glad for the win and extremely glad the Reds are 6 up. We care here.
    That would never happen an hour after the game ended. LOL

Been a long time-

What dooo you know- Reds win!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    That's cold. Team won't do that.
    Re: dropping Harang, you've set best. And I'd agree with them. We all know Harang's gone next season, but you don't diss his years of service here just as we finally may be reaching the promised land. Cold is exactly the word for it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Wow, reading some of the arguments towards the end. The most surprising (and I missed the originally comment) was Votto being afraid to hit, taking the HPB (does he really have a choice). But for a board where avoiding outs is the manta and a situation that moves the runner into scoring position with no one out, it would be a bit brainless for Votto to argue he wasn't hit. Take the base, that's what you're there for.

Folks, we're losing focus here, really. Unfortunate blown save (frustrating definitely), but we eked the win out which is what's important now particularly with the Cards losing. Closer to the goal no matter how ugly this one was.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

This thread gets the Will Ferrell "Oooooh, you're an ANGRY elf award":

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Folks, we're losing focus here, really. Unfortunate blown save (frustrating definitely), but we eked the win out which is what's important now particularly with the Cards losing. Closer to the goal no matter how ugly this one was.
    I will never understand why people choose to read game threads ex post facto and then complain about a lack of perspective by the posters involved. Of course there's a lack of perspective, the actual game is occurring. Furthermore, the majority of last night's game thread, particularly after the Coco choke-o, was gallows humor.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I will never understand why people choose to read game threads ex post facto and then complain about a lack of perspective by the posters involved. Of course there's a lack of perspective, the actual game is occurring. Furthermore, the majority of last night's game thread, particularly after the Coco choke-o, was gallows humor.
    - Coco blows a save by allowing four hits to the five batters he faces
    - From the 3rd inning to the 11th inning the Reds offense managed 1 hit and K'd 10 times
    - Maholm had allowed 15 runs in his previous 7 innings before befuddling the Reds.
    - They make Mr. DFA ... Chan Ho Park ... look like Mariano Rivera

I understand why the posters were frustrated last night.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Just a comment on Harang. Not only would it be cold to drop him, but, IMO, premature. Even if he does no more the rest of the way than mop-up a couple of times we get blown out, those are multiple innings not on the other arms. This team's in no position yet to drop anybody who resembles a starting pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?