Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on The Joker?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Thoughts on The Joker?

I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Will just say I freaking loved it. Incredible film. I'm not a comic book expert so I'm not completely certain how in canon the story is, but it's close enough I would think.

Phoenix should win Best Actor.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on The Joker?

I am not sure if I want to see it.

I’ve read some articles that have said it glorifies (or perhaps justifies is a better term) toxic incel culture. I’m not particularly in favor of supporting that.

Did you notice that?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I’ve read some articles that have said it glorifies (or perhaps justifies is a better term) toxic incel culture. I’m not particularly in favor of supporting that.

Did you notice that?
    I think those concerns are completely overblown. I don't want to open things up to discussion of a political nature here, so I'll suffice it to say that had no one mentioned that before the movie hit theaters, it's completely unlikely anyone would have ever mentioned it as an issue. It highlights a bit of the ongoing class struggle and the hoary old haves vs. have nots, but that's been done a million times before.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Did you notice that?
    Nah, that was significantly overblown.

I liked it a lot, and I didn’t expect to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Now don't get me wrong, but I wonder if this is it for Joaquin's Joker (I've seen it speculated both ways so who knows)...how we will look back on this Joker origin story. As mentioned it really isn't "in canon". It's a 2019 movie taking place in 1981. Why? I suppose cause it makes a good setting for the movie (it does). Standalone, the movie really doesn't need a Batman tie-in...it's more of a Taxi Driver type movie. Phoenix would have been good whether he was the Joker or just a Travis Bickle type guy. I'm not articulating this well I know but I wonder if we will look back and roll our eyes at the hubris it took to make this stand alone movie and never follow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Standalone, the movie really doesn't need a Batman tie-in...it's more of a Taxi Driver type movie. Phoenix would have been good whether he was the Joker or just a Travis Bickle type guy. I'm not articulating this well I know but I wonder if we will look back and roll our eyes at the hubris it took to make this stand alone movie and never follow it up.
    Yeah that’s why I personally liked it, I loved the Taxi Driver feel with Phoenix’s performance. But for people invested in the whole DC universe I can see why it might be a bit of an anomaly that will be hard to follow up on.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Speaking of parallels between Joker and Taxi Driver, check out this podcast: https://pca.st/87zir4pm
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Speaking of parallels between Joker and Taxi Driver, check out this podcast: https://pca.st/87zir4pm
    This is my main problem with it.

Todd Phillips is excellent at copying (stealing) others talents. He also benefited greatly from having outstanding actors in his movies. And he really doesn’t do it better than the people he’s copying, actually, it’s easy to argue his movies are second rate versions of classics.

It’s a good movie, but it’s nothing memorable besides the award worthy performance by Phoenix.

Concerning the social aspect of it, it’s not a big deal, but it is troubling that we have two big blockbusters this year (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) that are about whites men who feel left behind by a more progressive society.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Todd Phillips is excellent at copying (stealing) others talents. He also benefited greatly from having outstanding actors in his movies. And he really doesn’t do it better than the people he’s copying, actually, it’s easy to argue his movies are second rate versions of classics.

It’s a good movie, but it’s nothing memorable besides the award worthy performance by Phoenix.

Concerning the social aspect of it, it’s not a big deal, but it is troubling that we have two big blockbusters this year (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) that are about whites men who feel left behind by a more progressive society.
    I don’t really think that’s what either of those movies were about, but especially Joker, which portrays pretty much the antithesis of a progressive society.

Anyway, I thought Joker was pretty good, maybe even great movie. My biggest gripe with it is that it feels like it started out as a script that was a “serious drama” with all the Batman stuff tacked on later in order to get made. A lot of the more character focused stuff, the scenes that primarily focus on Joaquin Phoenix, were great, most carried by the fact that he’s a great actor. A lot of the political/societal drama felt like belonged more in a typical comic book movie. Like the protests as they were depicted, or the way they tried to have Thomas Wayne go overboard coming across as a snooty rich a-hole, felt a lot more cartoony. Or the final speech he gives before shooting the talk show host at the end. All that stuff felt like it was written for a more run of the mill comic book movie that just also happened to be taking place within a more “serious” movie, the kind of stuff that Joaquin Phoenix is usually in.

But aside from that gripe, it was very good.

I think a lot of the pushback over this movie is due to some director Todd Phillips' comments:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/everyt...ating?ref=home

The single most annoying thing about all this has been the comments made by writer-director Todd Phillips, whom you probably know best from the Hangover franchise and Old School, in response to criticism.

First, he blamed the concerns raised over the film’s content and message on the “far left,” because “outrage is a commodity.” It’s a Trump-ian deflection in lieu of an actual defense, explanation, or justification of his creative choices. But that’s not as infuriating as when he said he was driven to make the film after he left comedy because of “woke culture.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Yay for the future where all movies will need a superhero/supervillain lead to get made.

Can't wait for the Apocalypse Now reboot starring Wolverine
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Whites left behind by a more progressive society? Lol wut. The Joker literally embodied the angry liberal progressive in this movie, his entire quarrel was with Thomas Wayne and getting screwed by the rich. Agenda much?

They call me "chef"

Never mind.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (10-21-2019)

Eh...just another sadistic violence flick. It was cooked up to make money and money indeed is what it made.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Whites left behind by a more progressive society? Lol wut. The Joker literally embodied the angry liberal progressive in this movie, his entire quarrel was with Thomas Wayne and getting screwed by the rich. Agenda much?
    This is a top 5 post for me of all time.

Turn Off Ads?