Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Offering a raise is one of the ways teams get players to transfer. So they often cut a new contract. It also increases the buyout amount and lengthens the contract, which allows the club to get more money in future transfers. Yet, if you make high wages and want out, then you can transfer with your existing deal. Technically, your new club is taking on your existing contract until/unless you sign a new one.
    True. It's all dependent on finding a club willing to pay those wages, though, and for players at the level of City's that expect Champions League football to go along with it, that's a fairly small pool of clubs. Some of them would be snapped up for certain. Other players, MC would have to pay part of the tab just to move the rest of it.

Like Scotland said above, I'm skeptical the full two years sticks. But as you said in your previous post, they need to move some money just to stay in good graces as it is, and even a one-year ban forces them to move a bunch more.

Pep said today he's going to stay even if they're busted down to League Two by the FA (speaking of things I don't expect to see happen), but whether the owners would want to pay him $20 million per year or whatever it is to coach there is another question entirely.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Likes:

M2 (02-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    True. It's all dependent on finding a club willing to pay those wages, though, and for players at the level of City's that expect Champions League football to go along with it, that's a fairly small pool of clubs. Some of them would be snapped up for certain. Other players, MC would have to pay part of the tab just to move the rest of it.

Like Scotland said above, I'm skeptical the full two years sticks. But as you said in your previous post, they need to move some money just to stay in good graces as it is, and even a one-year ban forces them to move a bunch more.

Pep said today he's going to stay even if they're busted down to League Two by the FA (speaking of things I don't expect to see happen), but whether the owners would want to pay him $20 million per year or whatever it is to coach there is another question entirely.
    It is a small pool of clubs that fit the buyer criteria, but a number of them are going to have money to spend on premium players. Barca and Bayern are gearing up to spend this summer. Inter and Juve look like they're going to be in an arms race in Italy. PSG may have a gigantic pile of Mbappe money to spend (Madrid is getting ready to splurge for him). And the 4th and 5th place teams in the EPL (currently Chelsea and Spurs) will be spending. Liverpool might even get into the mix for a guy like Gundogan.

Just to build on their need to sell. Not being the Champions League puts a serious bite into their revenues, which will force them to sell even more players. This turns into a vicious cycle, where diminished opportunities and lesser results repeatedly drop the bar on the what City can afford to put on the pitch per FFP rules.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Knockout stages of the Champions League are under way. Atletico Madrid got a 1-0 home win over Liverpool. The return leg at Anfield is going to be a dogfight, which is Atletico's specialty. They got a road goal and Liverpool's title defense is probably over. Borussia Dortmund won 2-1 at home over PSG thanks to two goals from Erling Haaland (if you don't know his name, learn it). American teen phenom Gio Reyna (Claudio's son) assisted on Haaland's second goal. PSG is in decent shape with a road goal in pocket, but that team has failed in Europe so regularly that it almost seems like a question of how it gets drummed out here, not if.

Athletico is a bad match up for Liverpool. They are so compact and leave virtually no space between the lines. I thought before they could knock Liverpool out.

Same old story for PSG so far, no competition in the league and when push comes to shove in UCL knock out they haven’t cut the mustard. Dortmund are very good at home so that might change.

7. Likes:

M2 (02-18-2020),schmidty622 (02-22-2020)

The underlying stats say Atalanta and Valencia played a pretty even game. The scoreboard says Atalanta thumped Valencia 4-1 and the Spanish club can't get out of Bergamo fast enough.

In today's other Champions League game, RB Leipzig went to London and beat Tottenham 1-0. Jose Mourinho melting down in 3, 2, 1 ...

One thing not getting mentioned enough in Man City's Champions League banishment is Leicester is all but assured of making the CL next season. The chances of three teams closing the gap on them is just about nil. And Sheffield, Wolves and Everton are in the hunt for one of the slots. Sheffield just got promoted at the start of this season. They make Leicseter look like an old guard, big money club.

10. Likes:

IslandRed (02-20-2020)

It'll be fun to watch. It isn't often that multiple Big Six clubs are foundering in the same season, so the next-tier clubs need to take advantage while they can.

12. Likes:

M2 (02-20-2020)

Barcelona just pulled off a shady transfer inside of La Liga - https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...g-from-Leganes - grabbing Martin Braithwaite off of Leganes. You might be wondering how this is possible since the transfer window closed on Jan. 31. Well, Oumane Dembele got hurt for Barca and they got a special dispensation from Spanish football to poach a striker off another Spanish club. So they paid Braithwaite's €18 million release clause and he's theirs.

It means Leganes, currently in a relegation fight in 19th has lost its leading scorer. Does Leganes get to poach a player since Barca poached their guy? No, it does not.

That is seriously messed up.

14. Likes:

Betterread (02-20-2020),schmidty622 (02-22-2020)

Barcelona just pulled off a shady transfer inside of La Liga - https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...g-from-Leganes - grabbing Martin Braithwaite off of Leganes. You might be wondering how this is possible since the transfer window closed on Jan. 31. Well, Oumane Dembele got hurt for Barca and they got a special dispensation from Spanish football to poach a striker off another Spanish club. So they paid Braithwaite's €18 million release clause and he's theirs.

It means Leganes, currently in a relegation fight in 19th has lost its leading scorer. Does Leganes get to poach a player since Barca poached their guy? No, it does not.

And by poach, just to be clear, Leganes was given no option - to negotiate or block the transfer. Barca just grabbed the player and paid the release clause. And he was playing for Middlesbrough last year.
    Wow. Super shady.

16. Likes:

M2 (02-20-2020)

They were talking about this on Grumpy Pundits this morning. Apparently there is an "emergency" rule in La Liga that, if the league deems that an appropriate emergency has occured, they will a allow an transfer to occur outside the window so long as it involves another Spanish team and the purchasing team pays the full value of the player's release clause (i.e. no negotiating a transfer fee, you either pay full value for the release or shut up). I've heard that this is not the first time the emergency rule has been used. The bad part of this isn't so much that Barcelona was allowed to invoke the rule as much as it is that La Liga won't allow Leganes to invoke the emergency clause themselves in order to procure a replacement when they're going through a relegation fight. If you're going to have an emergency clause in there, you have to apply it evenly and fairly to all teams.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They were talking about this on Grumpy Pundits this morning. Apparently there is an "emergency" rule in La Liga that, if the league deems that an appropriate emergency has occured, they will a allow an transfer to occur outside the window so long as it involves another Spanish team and the purchasing team pays the full value of the player's release clause (i.e. no negotiating a transfer fee, you either pay full value for the release or shut up). I've heard that this is not the first time the emergency rule has been used. The bad part of this isn't so much that Barcelona was allowed to invoke the rule as much as it is that La Liga won't allow Leganes to invoke the emergency clause themselves in order to procure a replacement when they're going through a relegation fight. If you're going to have an emergency clause in there, you have to apply it evenly and fairly to all teams.
    And let's be clear, there's probably only two teams for whom they'd invoke this clause. I root for one of them. Yet this is patently wrong.

19. Likes:

IslandRed (02-21-2020)

And let's be clear, there's probably only two teams for whom they'd invoke this clause. I root for one of them. Yet this is patently wrong.
    And all for the benefit of a superclub that probably has six guys that good in the academy.

21. Likes:

M2 (02-21-2020)

Just when you think Arsenal has kicked you in the balls enough....

Liverpool finally cop a loss in quite savage fashion in the Premier League. They’ve been in cruise control for so long it could turn into a negative for them.

Hibs into the Scottish cup semi final after a 5-2 and Hesrts knocked out Rangers to go through as well.

24. Likes:

M2 (02-29-2020)

Madrid beats Barcelona 2-0. Vinicius proved the theory that if you get 20 chances, one of our flubs with bounce of Gerard Pique and into the net.

Meanwhile in England, Everton had a victory over ManU straight up robbed from them. It's not VAR, it's Premier League officials.

26. Likes:

schmidty622 (03-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?