Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And that's why he's a hall of fame player and someone every fan who saw him play will remember.

Wilie Mays fell on his duff in the World Series doing it.

That's part of the man that awed so many.

No disgrace in it at all.
    Exactly. You want that type of meddle in a player.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    For anyone who hasn't heard them yet, here is a link to those two embarrassing...?promos?... that WLW ran yesterday.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_scottstanley.html
    Thanks for the link. Embarrassing is right. Just another reason to be proud I'm a Reds fan...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Junior just got an RBI single in his first AB with the White Sox.

I've never gotten particularly sentimental about Junior, but it sure does look weird to see him in a White Sox uni.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's wrong, just..wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    For anyone who hasn't heard them yet, here is a link to those two embarrassing...?promos?... that WLW ran yesterday.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_scottstanley.html
    Classy, it'll be a great day when the Reds finally ditch that station.
    Go Gators!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It's wrong, just..wrong.

Classy, it'll be a great day when the Reds finally ditch that station.
    Powell Crosley is rolling in his grave.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I've never gotten particularly sentimental about Junior, but it sure does look weird to see him in a White Sox uni.
    The guy's got to be happy to be out of Cincy. Honestly, I can't blame him.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That's why I was surprised some were seriously thinking Junior wouldn't accept the trade.

Junior probably would have accepted a trade out of Cincy as far back as 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Thanks for the link. Embarrassing is right. Just another reason to be proud I'm a Reds fan...
    The existence of a 700wlw says an awful lot about the city I think.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He looks so happy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I can't blame him either, management drags him here under the thoughts of building a winner around him and they do nothing. I expect Dunn to feel the same way and leave also. Wasn't it WLW that had Dunn's mother all upset last year, to where Dunn had to finally say something ?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The existence of a 700wlw says an awful lot about the city I think.
    Yep. I was back in Cincy for a 4 week stretch back in May for work and tuned in a couple of times and couldn't keep it on for more than a couple of minutes. For the life of me I can't figure out what they offer that would make anyone tune in and actually listen other than to listen to the game. They're every bit as bad as tabloids.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Griffey should go back to No. 24. Give Crede a car or something (you know, something small to show his appreciation). Who cares about No. 30... Griffey didn't even want that number at first with the Reds, and then even changed to No. 3 after a while. I know he said that was for his son, Trey, but if Griffey loved 30, he never would have changed it.

For the record, I still think it's lame that Tony Perez didn't allow Junior to "borrow" the No. 24 so to speak. It would have been a nice link to the BRM, especially since Perez and Griffey Sr. played together. It would have always been Tony's number with the Reds, but he was a pretty small man by not allowing Griffey to borrow it for a few years. Pretty insecure if you ask me.
    I disagree. Griffey, as a "Son of the BRM", should have recognized the number's significance with the Reds, especially since it had been announced that it was to be retired later that season, and that Perez was going into the Hall Of Fame. He has always said that he wore his hat backward because as a kid he wanted to wear his dad's stuff, and the only way the hat would stay on was if he turned it backward. Well, now he had the chance to wear his dad's number for the club his dad played for.

I do not intend this as any kind of attack on Junior, as I think he has handled himself with class throughout his tenure in Cincinnati. But I take issue with the characterization of Perez as petty, insecure, or small. Other than Joe Nuxhall, Tony Perez may be the most beloved player in Reds history.

And all this discussion about Griffey's number is eerily reminiscent of Robert DiNiro's character in "The Fan". I just hope Benicio Del Toro doesn't get carved up in the sauna!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Pennant race, title shot key for Griffey

By the Associated Press

Saturday, August 02, 2008

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Ken Griffey Jr. spent a good part of his childhood in Cincinnati, played there for nine more years. It's the place he raised his children, where he's made numerous friends, still has family.

Cincinnati is home.

Yet when he was asked to leave, Griffey needed just a few hours to decide.

The chance to play in a pennant race, to potentially win his first World Series ring was enough for the slugger to agree to a trade to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday.

"They've obviously done well, being in first place without me to this point," Griffey said Friday, before his debut with the White Sox against Kansas City. "In search of winning a World Series title, that was important. My kids are getting older and it wasn't the situation in Seattle where I wanted to get closer to home. It was a chance for me winning a title, I think that was the biggest draw."

Griffey was traded with cash to the AL Central-leading White Sox, with reliever Nick Masset and Triple-A second baseman Danny Richar going to the Reds.

Though he's struggled this season — .245, 15 homers, 53 RBIs in one of baseball's most homer-friendly ballparks — Griffey believes he still has something left. He departed Cincinnati on a 12-game hitting streak, going 14-for-44 with three homers and nine RBIs, and has 608 career homers, leaving him one behind Sammy Sosa for fifth on the all-time list.

Griffey didn't take long to help out his new team.

Playing in Kaufman Stadium for the first time since July 1999, he received a warm ovation from the Kansas City fans during pregame introductions and again when he came to bat for the first time in the second inning.

After fouling off a tough, two-strike pitch from Luke Hochevar, he lined a single up the middle to drive in the game's first run.

"There's things that I can do to help this ballclub," he said before the game. "Having a manager (Ozzie Guillen) who didn't hit very many home runs, he's very keen on making sure you get the runner over and knock him in, and that's the key to winning ball games. I've been around for a little while, so I understand the game."

Giffey finished the game, a 4-2 victory, going 2-for-3 with a walk and two RBIs.

The 38-year-old Griffey played the last two seasons in right field, but Guillen moved him back to center, shifting Nick Swisher to first to replace the struggling Paul Konerko.

Griffey also found himself in different spot in the lineup, hitting seventh against Kansas City Friday night after batting third for the Reds.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spgriffey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I disagree. Griffey, as a "Son of the BRM", should have recognized the number's significance with the Reds, especially since it had been announced that it was to be retired later that season, and that Perez was going into the Hall Of Fame. He has always said that he wore his hat backward because as a kid he wanted to wear his dad's stuff, and the only way the hat would stay on was if he turned it backward. Well, now he had the chance to wear his dad's number for the club his dad played for.

I do not intend this as any kind of attack on Junior, as I think he has handled himself with class throughout his tenure in Cincinnati. But I take issue with the characterization of Perez as petty, insecure, or small. Other than Joe Nuxhall, Tony Perez may be the most beloved player in Reds history.

And all this discussion about Griffey's number is eerily reminiscent of Robert DiNiro's character in "The Fan". I just hope Benicio Del Toro doesn't get carved up in the sauna!
    Griffey learned form the number thing. Even though Swisher offered Junior the No. 30, Griffey refused saying he didn't want to be a distraction on the team. Classy. comes with age, I guess.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?