Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

Re: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

What exactly happened to him? Was his velocity gone this spring or his control or both?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Looks to me like Finnegan is going to some extreme lengths to start over
    I’ve never seen Finnegan and Curliss together at the same time, just sayin....

4. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-24-2019),Tom Servo (05-24-2019)

Why would the Reds give him a guaranteed contract rather than a split minor/majors one? I don't get that

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why would the Reds give him a guaranteed contract rather than a split minor/majors one? I don't get that
    The ever faithful wishful thinkers maybe?

If the Reds are footing the bill to remake Finnegan, then $550K is chump change and shows him the team is invested in him. It's a show of good faith at a truly nominal cost. If it works and the Reds get the pitcher they believe he can be, it's a steal. If it fails, that $550K did not prevent the Reds from taking on any additional salary because, billionaires.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

DocRed (05-24-2019),HammerTime (05-24-2019),Hoosier Red (05-24-2019),mth123 (05-24-2019),Ron Madden (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Reds are footing the bill to remake Finnegan, then $550K is chump change and shows him the team is invested in him. It's a show of good faith at a truly nominal cost. If it works and the Reds get the pitcher they believe he can be, it's a steal. If it fails, that $550K did not prevent the Reds from taking on any additional salary because, billionaires.
    But the $550K didn't buy them anything. They lost that the day they DFA'd him. He's in Goodyear by choice. He could have joined another organization or learned to waterski this summer. That's gone. You are right that it's Castellini's money and it doesn't affect us but I question whether this was necessary. If it wasn't, then it shows poor judgment

He could have joined another organization or learned to waterski this summer. That's gone.
    Not exactly. The Reds didn't release and re-sign him, they just outrighted him off the roster after nobody claimed him. I don't believe he has enough service time to have opted to become a free agent.

I don't really get why anybody cares what pre-arb amount of money Finnegan is or isn't getting though, it's balance book chump change.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-17-2019),RedlegJake (05-24-2019),Ron Madden (05-24-2019),TRF (05-24-2019)

Finnegan at this point has about as good a chance of making a comeback as I do. I haven't pitched in 35 years and I don't throw left-handed, but my arm feels rested! I don't care about Castellini's money but it seems like a waste of coaching resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not exactly. The Reds didn't release and re-sign him, they just outrighted him off the roster after nobody claimed him. I don't believe he has enough service time to have opted to become a free agent.

I don't really get why anybody cares what pre-arb amount of money Finnegan is or isn't getting though, it's balance book chump change.
    $550K is well worth the gamble that he figures it out at some point. Like you said, if he doesn't it's chump change. Who cares.

14. Likes:

Chip R (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    $550K is well worth the gamble that he figures it out at some point. Like you said, if he doesn't it's chump change. Who cares.
    This. He's only 26.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

He’s not making 550k$ this year, calm down folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He’s not making 550k$ this year, calm down folks.
    So it wasn't guaranteed?

Gingersaurus Rex
    ‏ @HeyGingersaurus

Dick Williams told The Athletic that he expects LHP Brandon Finnegan to pitch with an affiliate soon.

More from Williams:
    “I got good reports, he’s spent time with some third-party consultants. We’ve had a couple of coaches assigned to him, sort of a special project.”
    #Reds

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-17-2019)

Regardless of how the Cueto deal worked out, this is nothing but good news for the Reds and Finnegan. He was the most talented guy in the trade coming to Cincinnati, and him getting healthy, getting his mechanics fixed and actually pitching professional baseball, well, how can anyone not root for him?

Sure, enthusiasm must be tempered. There are no expectations. Just will be great to know he's on the mound for one of the affiliates soon.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

You have to look at every possible source for big league talent.

If Finnegan is able to get back on track with coaching and other assistance, that’s great.

If the Reds felt he was finished, they wouldn’t invest the time and effort. They recently let go of Nick Howard and Travieso, if I’m correct, apparently concluding that the chances of success were not high.

Turn Off Ads?