Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Didi to Philly

Re: Didi to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Exactly! Even prior to this year, often the Reds (or someone) would create a rumor the Reds were going after a player, Reds would not sign the guy, but there almost always seemed to be a positive spin after the Reds didn't get him.

Example: Reds went very hard after Otahni last year, made him a fantastic offer, were "Finalists" ,etc . etc.
    Reality: Reds had about a 1% chance of signing Othani.

And the propaganda might not even be coming from the Reds' office. The beat writers might be making up a lot of this stuff.
    Let's just say hypothetically that C Trent made up that "Source" on his own.. no one in the Reds Front office is going to call him out on it. Reds benefit and C Trent benefits because he has something interesting to say that day.
    I hear what you're saying and let me share with you my coping strategy:

Due to all the "rumors" and crazy ideas thrown around this time of year, I tend to not follow it until the deal is announced. How does a bigtime Reds fan do that? I get into football, both college and pro and also find a couple college basketball teams to follow. I find it highly unproductive to read potential lineups and rotations of fans' dream deals that 99.9% of the time don't happen.

I also don't get too worked up about deals that don't happen 'cause it takes more than one person to do a deal, be it a trade or a free agent signing. I DO get worked up about deals/signings that the Reds do pull off. Those are fair game for scrutiny. (Aroldis Chapman and the Dodger trade 2018 just to name a couple).

2. Likes:

REDREAD (12-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It is quite possible that a primary source told Trent that the Girardi connection was a big factor. That is the type of comment that someone, even Gregorius himself, would make to a reporter. Players say things to reporters all the time that are not representative of their true feelings. The person I spoke with, when asked "why not the Reds?", said the Reds were not offering as much money as the Phillies. It was as simple as that. Had the Reds matched the Phillies offer, I have no idea what direction he would have gone, and maybe the Girardi connection would have come into play at that time. I am sure he had interest in the Reds as a possible landing spot, having come up in the organization, but even more than that, with a one-year deal, he would want to go to a place that is hitter-friendly to maximize his earning value 12 months down the road, and Cincinnati is that (let's not overthink that last comment, or any of this).

5. Likes:

Benihana (12-11-2019),RedlegJake (12-12-2019),REDREAD (12-11-2019)

Just to fire up the rumor mill a bit more there's a rumor that Joey Votto will be the Reds opening day starting pitcher.. You heard it here first folks since I just made it up for no good reason. Now, if I could only become a nationally syndicated sports talking head.. Did I mention that Tucker Barnhart will steal 75 bases this year. I hear he has a large trunk and will travel to every sandlot field in America to accomplish such feat..
    Last edited by allpurpose; 12-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Didi was not a "must get". There's other ways to improve the team, but if the Reds passed on Didi, they better deliver results in another way, or they are going to look foolish.
    The positions most felt they needed to upgrade offensively (SS, C, OF) they didn't. Their INF appears set around the horn (and Moose will be a boost); but "delivering results in a another way" is becoming a fast narrow corridor. Where? I think they'll stick with their catching tandem, so that leaves a possible OF spot. I'm not hopeful.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

8. Likes:

mth123 (12-11-2019),REDREAD (12-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The positions most felt they needed to upgrade offensively (SS, C, OF) they didn't. Their INF appears set around the horn (and Moose will be a boost); but "delivering results in a another way" is becoming a fast narrow corridor. Where? I think they'll stick with their catching tandem, so that leaves a possible OF spot. I'm not hopeful.
    Lots of speculation here. There's still a lot of off season to go. If they haven't made any other moves by April then I'm with you. But, let's see what happens first.

10. Likes:

RedlegJake (12-12-2019),REDREAD (12-11-2019)

I’ll just wait and see who shakes out as the starting SS for the Reds Opening Day 2020.

If they get someone really good, I’ll be ecstatic. If it’s Galvis, I’ll be a little disappointed in that it’s not an upgrade. If they cry poor again and say “we tried hard but it was too difficult to get better”, it will be a little harder to entice me to go pay money to see the 2020 Reds.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

REDREAD (12-11-2019)

So would the contaction of this thread theme be Dilly Dilly?

On the issue of shortstop, I wonder if Brock Holt can handle the position over a full season. Might be too risky to try though given Moose at 2B, a steady glove at SS goes a long way.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    On the issue of shortstop, I wonder if Brock Holt can handle the position over a full season. Might be too risky to try though given Moose at 2B, a steady glove at SS goes a long way.
    I think I'd just as soon have Jose Iglesias

16. Likes:

757690 (12-12-2019),North (12-12-2019),Old school 1983 (12-12-2019)

He was open to a one-year or multiyear deal, but a one-year contract with the Phillies means he is betting big on himself to play well, reestablish his market and sign a more lucrative deal next winter.

Gregorius had interest from other teams, but the Phillies believe his relationship with Joe Girardi in New York helped their pursuit.
    https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/ph...didi-gregorius

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think I'd just as soon have Jose Iglesias
    Same here. Fine defense, clutch hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’ll just wait and see who shakes out as the starting SS for the Reds Opening Day 2020.

If they get someone really good, I’ll be ecstatic. If it’s Galvis, I’ll be a little disappointed in that it’s not an upgrade. If they cry poor again and say “we tried hard but it was too difficult to get better”, it will be a little harder to entice me to go pay money to see the 2020 Reds.
    I'm already there. 2019 was the first year that I didn't attend a single game since 1997.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    Lots of speculation here. There's still a lot of off season to go. If they haven't made any other moves by April then I'm with you. But, let's see what happens first.
    I agree there's lot's of off-season left. And most of what we're saying on here is speculation - looking at what they've done so far, and trying to guess, figure out, where can they go from here (position-wise) to bolster this offense? IMO, OF/Bench. So sure it's nothing but speculation on my part.

When it comes to Red's management ... I'm from Missouri. Who knows? Maybe they're working on another one of those blockbuster LA deals again (LOL).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

22. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I love Redszone.

On one hand you've got posters saying that Trent's quote is the Reds trying to save face. And on the other side you've got posters saying that Trent's quote is of course what Didi's side is going to say about wanting to play for his old manager.

Basically, no matter what, the Reds are bumbling idiots who screwed the pooch.
    Nice to have Doug come back and lecture us idiot Reds fans from time-to-time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So where, Burt, does that say that the Reds weren't actually in on Gregorius? What it says is that Gregorius chose between three teams that he listed. It does not, in any way at all, say that the Reds weren't in on him.

And just like nearly all of these kinds of rumors, different reporters are hearing different things. That's just how it works.

You want the Reds to be idiots, so you are reading into anything that you can to show that they are idiots.
    Doug, can you point to the standings these last few decades and tell me where this Reds organization aren't idiots? They get zero benefit of doubt from us fans.

Turn Off Ads?