Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: AG last night

Re: AG last night

Another thing Garrett needs to consider.
    Is he burning down bridges and shortening his career?
    He's eligible for free agency in 2024, according to baseball reference (I am not sure if that means after 2024 or the start of 2024)
    Point is.. given the Reds' history and his performance, he's probably going to be on the free market at that time.
    He's already annoyed the Pirates, Cubs, not sure who else..
    Because unless he's a dominant reliever when he's on the open market, most teams are not going to want to deal with the headaches and drama he brings. Thus far, he's career track indicates that he's not dominant.
    It would be in his best interest not to make a jerk out of himself, he's likely going to be shopping himself on the free market in a few years.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No. Just lose the word "thug." I'm not saying anyone here means anything by it, but lose it.
    No, it's redirection.. No one in the history of redszone has ever been offended by the word "thug" up to this point.
    We even had that bad infielder with the nickname "Thug life".
    Let's discuss the issue at hand, not police people's words.. there's enough of that going on in "the real world".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    how about not yelling obscenties at the player he just struck out?
    And I don't believe Bell's lame excuse, Amir wasn't cursing at his own dugout or himself or whatever excuse Bell gave.
    He can do his dumb happy dance if he wants to, but honestly, what he did was pretty classless.
    Like I said, if someone did that to Amir after hitting a HR off Amir, Amir would likely go into rage..
    How about Amir just grow up? Focus some of that energy into something productive?
    He did something productive. He was focused. Amir gets surly when he's productive and focused. I want him productive and focused. So give 'em an earful. That's how he plays baseball, at least when he's doing it well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He was 41. He also should have been one of the first. The first ones were chosen not because of how good they were, but because they could follow these unwritten rules. Those that played like Satchel had to wait their turn.
    The war had more to do with it than anything, being the first black AL pitcher and 7th black MLB player is pretty good considering the AL was locked down and half the NL too

I’ve had a few days to think about this. I overreacted. Just like Garrett did. He had a tough stretch, got a big out, probably felt like he’d turned the corner, and let out a huge amount of emotion built up over a bad stretch. Over the top? Yeah, but time gave me the understanding that he’s a highly paid pro under ungodly stress and pressure to perform. And when he doesn’t, there is nowhere to hide. Enormous pressure. I’m just a schmuck sitting on my couch watching the game spouting out my bs opinions on a internet board.

Garrett will most likely go back to his normal production, bark and woof but at an acceptable level, and I’ll try not to blather out knee jerk reactions.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

757690 (05-04-2021),Edd Roush (05-04-2021),Fil3232 (05-03-2021),klw (05-04-2021),M2 (05-03-2021),MoneyInTheBank (05-04-2021),Revering4Blue (05-04-2021),Ron Madden (05-03-2021)

No, it's redirection.. No one in the history of redszone has ever been offended by the word "thug" up to this point.
    Let's discuss the issue at hand, not police people's words.. there's enough of that going on in "the real world".
    If you want to comically misapply it for Tim Hummel, that's fine. Otherwise it super problematic. There was a link to why earlier in this thread. Classic case of "but I didn't mean to say that." Cool, then don't say it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Mitri (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The war had more to do with it than anything, being the first black AL pitcher and 7th black MLB player is pretty good considering the AL was locked down and half the NL too
    I smart enough not to get into a baseball history debate with you, lol.

But Satchel was not subtle with his cockiness, and I imagine if he were alive today, he’d be crazy proud of Amir and his bravado.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

No. Just lose the word "thug." I'm not saying anyone here means anything by it, but lose it.

So, let me get this straight.. According to you, It's ok for Garett to yell curse words on the field at other players, but you are offended by the word "thug"
    ok

13. Likes:

If you want to comically misapply it for Tim Hummel, that's fine. Otherwise it super problematic. There was a link to why earlier in this thread. Classic case of "but I didn't mean to say that." Cool, then don't say it.
    No, you are not the Word Policeman on this forum. I don't know why you suddenly think you are.
    Mth doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Not sure why people have to pile on him.
    You can try to shame me all you want. guess what, I don't care.
    But congratuations, you derailed the thread, mission accomplished. .Do your Garrett happy dance now.
    I'll let you have the last word.

15. Likes:

No, you are not the Word Policeman on this forum. I don't know why you suddenly think you are.
    Mth doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Not sure why people have to pile on him.
    You can try to shame me all you want. guess what, I don't care.
    But congratuations, you derailed the thread, mission accomplished. .Do your Garrett happy dance now.
    I'll let you have the last word.
    I am 100% positive that mth123 had no idea about the racial overtones of “thug” or “punk” and that he innocently used them.

However, they both do have serious racial overtones, and we really should avoid using them to describe anyone, especially athletes of color.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

M2 (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am 100% positive that mth123 had no idea about the racial overtones of “thug” or “punk” and that he innocently used them.

However, they both do have serious racial overtones, and we really should avoid using them to describe anyone, especially athletes of color.
    Except I didn't use it to describe any athlete of any color. Don't people know how to read? This is exactly what I said.

Acting like civil human beings isn't restricted to old people. Similarly, there area lot of old people who act like thugs and punks.
    and that was in response to this discriminatory and offensive post

The average baseball fan is in their late 50s. It’s not shocking that old people don’t like what 20 somethings are doing on the field.

Trying to make players behave like old people want them to is going to be a losing proposition.
    Maybe people should read what they are jumping in on.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

757690 (05-04-2021),REDREAD (05-04-2021),Revering4Blue (05-04-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That’s not really true though tbh, the connotations of the word thug has come up here more than a handful of times before

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I don’t own a tie myself, they’re ridiculous
    If it was good enough for Vince it ought to be good enough for you.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-04-2021 at 01:56 AM.

For those of you that use Twitter go do a search for Amir Garrett and “thug” and then tell me it’s not racially motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Go back and read post 118 where I used the word thug and tell me when I called Garrett or any other player that.
    Go back and read post 134 and show me where I said you called him that.

I was trying to steer the conversation back to Amir Garrett rather than a back and forth about the word "thug" because it seemed unproductive.

I wanted to point out that this thread is calling Amir out for a lack of decorum and he's been called "a clown", "a fool", "a jabroni", "a scrub", a "punk", been told to "shut up and play", even women have caught shrapnel. I'm saying maybe we should all hold ourselves to the standard we expect from the players

Turn Off Ads?