Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What are the murmers with driveline?
    I think they mean like pine tar/spin rate

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    Suarez and Castillo could have been moved for a kings ransom this past offseason. Suarez is controlled thru 2024 and Castillo 2023. But now we're suggesting they should be salary dumps?

This board never disappoints.
    I agree with the overall sentiment in this post. However, are we sure they could have been moved for a kings ransom? For example: the Yankees wanted Castillo and the reds demanded a kings ransom (Gleyber Torres) and the Yankees said “absolutely not.”

Frankly, I believe if Suarez and Castillo could have fetched a kings ransom last offseason they would have been moved.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-24-2021),DocRed (05-24-2021),Revering4Blue (05-24-2021)

I agree with the overall sentiment in this post. However, are we sure they could have been moved for a kings ransom? For example: the Yankees wanted Castillo and the reds demanded a kings ransom (Gleyber Torres) and the Yankees said “absolutely not.”

Frankly, I believe if Suarez and Castillo could have fetched a kings ransom last offseason they would have been moved.
    Yep, I think the Reds wanted either Gleybor or Jasson for Castillo and they said no. I'm guessing the Yankees were countering with some combo of Andujar or Frazier. I read a lot of articles written from the Yankees standpoint on getting Castillo and none of them were offering Gleybor or Jasson. Suarez was not nearly as valuable as Castllo was as well.

Trade Gray and Miley. Go with a younger pitching staff next season. Trade Cast if he’s likely to opt out. All three should bring value.

Don’t trade Winker with two years of control remaining.

Don’t trade Barnhart, he’ll be important with a younger staff next season. Reds will probably trade him, mistake IMO.

Other situations are for off-season consideration, like Suarez, Castillo. As for Doolittle, similar guys, would be minor deals, who cares.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-24-2021 at 04:05 PM.

8. Likes:

elrojo (05-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Trade Gray and Miley. Go with a younger pitching staff next season. Trade Cast if he’s likely to opt out. All three should bring value.

Don’t trade Winker with two years of control remaining.

Don’t trade Barnhart, he’ll help the young pitchers next season. Reds will probably trade him, mistake IMO.

Other situations are for off-season, like Suarez, Castillo. As for Doolittle, similar guys, would be minor deals, who cares.
    Barnhart is an FA after this season, though. Are you saying they should extend him?

Barnhart is an FA after this season, though. Are you saying they should extend him?
    $7.5M Team option with a $0.5M buyout.

I don't think they should pay Barnhart that much with Stephenson ready to take over, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post

I don't think they should pay Barnhart that much with Stephenson ready to take over, myself.
    If Reds really care about guys like Hunter Greene, Rick Lodolo, Tony Santillan, they will exercise the option on Barnhart for one year.

They call the position catcher because the player does more than hit.

12. Likes:

onehand (05-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thought he was an FA!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If Reds really care about guys like Hunter Greene, Rick Lodolo, Tony Santillan, they will exercise the option on Barnhart for one year.

There have been a handful of our pitchers that have pitched better to either Casali or Stephenson. I know Castillo of all people said he has trouble pitching to Barnhart.

I don’t think the notion that he’s some kind of pitcher whisperer god behind the plate is based in reality.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-24-2021),Moose Herd (05-24-2021),Old school 1983 (05-24-2021),REDREAD (05-24-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-24-2021),Revering4Blue (05-24-2021)

It’s a good point. One could also point out the pitching staff went in the toilet immediately after Casali left.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-24-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-24-2021)

There are plenty of back up catchers out there that would be good to work with the younger pitchers that are every bit as good at calling a game as Tucker is.

Heck, bring back Casalli next year at 10% of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    There have been a handful of our pitchers that have pitched better to either Casali or Stephenson. I know Castillo of all people said he has trouble pitching to Barnhart.

I don’t think the notion that he’s some kind of pitcher whisperer god behind the plate is based in reality.
    Doesn’t matter to me at all. I’m looking beyond one-year results. Barnhart is the kind of guy I want catching these young kids as they join the Reds.

I’m not looking for miracle results, but it’s hard enough to be a rookie pitcher.

It’s a good point. One could also point out the pitching staff went in the toilet immediately after Casali left.
    And Barnhart might have actual trade value this season. He’s actually hitting really well. Has a team option.

I’m not letting some possibly imaginary catcher wizardry stop me from getting value for him. I agree, just bring Casali back in if you’re really insistent on having a veteran catch Greene or whatever. Stephenson needs to be playing everyday at this point anyway.

21. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-24-2021),Old school 1983 (05-24-2021),REDREAD (05-24-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-24-2021)

I can buy the keep Barnhart argument. Especially if they use Ty Steve at 1B more often, which they can with the DH. I do think Tucker's value goes beyond the numbers, and they'll have enough payroll cut to pick up the option no problem. If they don't get a great offer for him then keep Barnhart.

Castellanos will most certainly be looking for a new contract. He may not demand $100MM, but it will be a guarantee more than the $30MM the Reds owe him beyond '21. He's one of the big contracts that will be easy to shed, and I think he'll bring back something interesting to boot. He's hitting like a madman, will be missed, but I would trade him in the coming weeks.

23. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (05-25-2021)

Doesn’t matter to me at all. I’m looking beyond one-year results. Barnhart is the kind of guy I want catching these young kids as they join the Reds.

I’m not looking for miracle results, but it’s hard enough to be a rookie pitcher.
    That quote wasn’t from this year.

And anyway, the only one of those guys who has the pedigree to get a special catcher in my book is Greene. I’m not benching Stephenson so Santillan can have Tucker Barnhart as his personal catcher. Stephenson is a more than adequate catcher, they will be fine.

25. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?