Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

Re: Oscar nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I have found that many people don’t want to see challenging movies or visual art. Tar is like cinematic red meat, so people that seek eye candy like top gun can’t digest it.
    Back in the day (1975-79), my first job was up in Yellow Springs OH. It was populated then (and still is) by artists, hippies, and generally eclectic people. The nice thing was a great movie theater they had there called The Little Art Theater. Seeing movies there in that era was like a doctorate level cinema where I got introduced to Fellini, Mastroianni, Loren, Godard, Truffaut, Jean Seberg, Bergman, Hitchcock, Antonioni, Kurosawa, Deneuve (oh god did I have the hots for her), Kubrick, Bertolucci, Woody Allen, and more. I had just been a midwest guy seeing the big headline movies and now I saw movies as an art form. I had always been a movie fan but this was a different level.

I had just gotten divorced and had a hippie girlfriend up in YS. We’d smoke some potent weed and a Saturday movie at the Little Art was a routine. We’d just go and see whatever movie was there. My eyes were opened as to what movies could be like.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-30-2023),757690 (01-27-2023),Betterread (01-27-2023),Fil3232 (01-27-2023),M2 (01-27-2023),RFS62 (02-05-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Back in the day (1975-79), my first job was up in Yellow Springs OH. It was populated then (and still is) by artists, hippies, and generally eclectic people. The nice thing was a great movie theater they had there called The Little Art Theater. Seeing movies there in that era was like a doctorate level cinema where I got introduced to Fellini, Mastroianni, Loren, Godard, Truffaut, Jean Seberg, Bergman, Hitchcock, Antonioni, Kurosawa, Deneuve (oh god did I have the hots for her), Kubrick, Bertolucci, Woody Allen, and more. I had just been a midwest guy seeing the big headline movies and now I saw movies as an art form. I had always been a movie fan but this was a different level.

I had just gotten divorced and had a hippie girlfriend up in YS. We’d smoke some potent weed and a Saturday movie at the Little Art was a routine. We’d just go and see whatever movie was there. My eyes were opened as to what movies could be like.
    Boom... my first job was at a local cinema, Disney stuff, mainstream etc... I went to film/video school and have seen all sorts of films, classes in German Expressionism, Russian Film, Japanese, all with different approaches to storytelling.

Since then eye candy makes me numb. I have never seen the original Top Gun so I can't speak to the nomination. Then again I hate award shows, they are back slapping ego-fests IMO.

5. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2023),Betterread (01-27-2023),RFS62 (02-05-2023),Roy Tucker (01-28-2023),wally post (02-04-2023)

We might have known each other. I grew up in Yellow Springs from 1970-1977. My mother ran the Little Arts Theater on the weekend afternoons. She would bring me along, so I grew up watching movies. I loved it, especially the free popcorn. The weekend afternoons were mostly older classics, many silent films. To this day Charlie Chaplin is my favorite filmmaker of all time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

7. Likes:

RFS62 (02-05-2023),Roy Tucker (01-28-2023),wally post (02-04-2023)

Thanks for sharing that personal history. I had understanding parents that let me go see to an art house cinema when I was not even in my teens and see films with no ratings, John Waters, Fellini, Antonioni, Truffaut, Godard and many more.
    I strongly urge people to seek out local films. Local food and beer are considered cool by the hipsters, so why not local films, art and music?

You have one life, avoid any kind of product that is focus group driven, and by that I am talking about a lot of Hollywood movies.
    There are some Hollywood movies that don’t fit that definition, and I am looking forward to seeing Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer in 2023. Reading his biography right now by Ray Monk, who sees him as a philospher. A very interesting man.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-27-2023 at 10:33 PM.

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We might have known each other. I grew up in Yellow Springs from 1970-1977. My mother ran the Little Arts Theater on the weekend afternoons. She would bring me along, so I grew up watching movies. I loved it, especially the free popcorn. The weekend afternoons were mostly older classics, many silent films. To this day Charlie Chaplin is my favorite filmmaker of all time.
    Maybe. I worked at Fels Research Institute as a research assistant assessing x-rays for skeletal maturation. I showed an aptitude for computer stuff so they set me into writing Fortran code on a PDP-11 to munch on the data. Worked on the Fels Longitudinal Study https://medicine.wright.edu/epidemio...udy-collection

About midway through my term there, Wright State absorbed Fels and it became part of Wright State till they stupidly shut it down in 2018 due to budgetary problems.

But yeah, I hung out in YS, played on the Ye Olde Trails Tavern softball team, saw a lot of movies at the Little Art, chased women, and drank beer.

11. Likes:

757690 (01-28-2023)

I use to love watching old Taxi reruns. I have almost the whole series on DVD years back.

So kinda cool in a way to see Judd Hirsch nominated…. Even if it’s not exactly a movie I’ll run out to watch. Or an award show I put much emphasis on

I watched Triangle of Sadness on an airplane this weekend. It wasn’t bad, but just kinda seemed like a worse White Lotus.

14. Likes:

NebraskaRed (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I watched Triangle of Sadness on an airplane this weekend. It wasn’t bad, but just kinda seemed like a worse White Lotus.
    Did you watch Tár yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Did you watch Tár yet?
    Not yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    I use to love watching old Taxi reruns. I have almost the whole series on DVD years back.

So kinda cool in a way to see Judd Hirsch nominated…. Even if it’s not exactly a movie I’ll run out to watch. Or an award show I put much emphasis on
    The Fabelmans is a good movie and Hirsch is good in it. I’d recommend it.

Did you watch Tár yet?
    I watched it last night. Very interesting movie and very well done. Blanchet should win Best Actress.

I don’t want to get to spoliery, but I liked how they handled the whole can we separate the art from the artist conversation.

19. Likes:

757690 (02-04-2023),Fil3232 (02-04-2023),wally post (02-04-2023)

Glad you watched, and at least seemingly enjoyed! Agree on Blanchet—will be robbery if anybody else wins.

21. Likes:

wally post (02-04-2023)

Glad you watched, and at least seemingly enjoyed! Agree on Blanchet—will be robbery if anybody else wins.
    Ha it’s a tough movie to enjoy, but I certainly respected it. I was still thinking about it today, which is always a great sign.

I know Michell Yeoh has buzz and she was great and I really loved Everything Everywhere All at Once…but what Blanchet did was just on a whole other level.

I have to see Tar, but EEAAO 3 times and Yeoh deserves a statuette. Maybe Blanchett's even better, but my guess it probably comes down to stylistic preference between them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Ha it’s a tough movie to enjoy, but I certainly respected it. I was still thinking about it today, which is always a great sign.

I know Michell Yeoh has buzz and she was great and I really loved Everything Everywhere All at Once…but what Blanchet did was just on a whole other level.
    Blanchett is at her Meryl Streep stage. Every role she does deserves an Oscar, you’re right, she’s at a different level than every other actor. However, that works against her. Voters are always looking for someone else to vote for. Yeoh makes that easy this year. She’s not better than Blanchett, but she definitely gave an Oscar worthy performance.

As for Tar, I liked it, but I have a hard time seeing how most people would enjoy it. It’s so slow and tedious for most of the movie, which is par for the course for a Todd Fields movie.

I enjoy his movies, but he is one of the most self indulgent directors out there, only Paul Thomas Anderson is worse than him, imo. I could have easily cut a half hour out of the movie, and no one would have missed anything. The first twenty minutes is nothing but dialogue about deep inside symphony issues that 99% of viewers will not understand. It would be like starting “Moneyball” with a twenty minute discussion of the difference between FIP and xFIP and how it affects certain pitchers WAR value. I can understand spending a few minutes on something like that, but twenty minutes is just arrogant.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?