Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4745486

Scouts watch Cuban lefty throw
    By Jorge Arangure Jr.
    ESPN The Magazine

Fomer Cuban national team starting pitcher Aroldis Chapman threw a bullpen session on Tuesday in Houston in front of representatives from about half the major league teams. In the morning at the Baseball USA complex, the left-hander tossed two separate five-minute side sessions, throwing mostly in the 92-93 mph range and topping out at 96 mph. Chapman, 21, also threw his slider and changeup.

Among the team representatives who attended were Houston Astros general manager Ed Wade, Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, Los Angeles Angels scouting director Eddie Bane, Florida Marlins vice president of player development Jim Fleming, Pittsburgh Pirates international scouting director Rene Gayo, and Baltimore Orioles international scouting director John Stockstill, according to sources. The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who are expected to be heavy bidders for Chapman, each had one area scout in attendance.

Several teams were expected to meet with Chapman after the workout, at the offices of his agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks. "I think it's important that he demonstrated that he's ready, that he's in shape, that he's throwing free and easy and that's what he did," Randy Hendricks told media outlets including MLB.com and KRIV-TV in Houston. "A lot of life on his pitches, threw real well. Not all-out, which is what we told the teams he would not do, but sufficient I think to let everybody know he's ready for prime time." According to KRIV, the Cincinnati Reds, Washington Nationals, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers also had representatives in attendance. "Everybody in baseball needed to see this and most everybody was here,"

Bane, the Angels' scouting director, said of the session, according to KRIV-TV. "He's a hard thrower from the left side," David Lakey, the national cross checker for the New York Mets, told MLB.com. "I think they said [he hit 96 mph on the radar gun]. That kind of arm is hard to find from the left side." According to sources, Boston is the only team known to have made an offer for Chapman, for $15.5 million.

But that offer was made a few weeks ago to his former agent, Edwin Mejia. In another development, Mejia's company Athletes Premier International sued Chapman's current agent, Hendricks Sports Management, Tuesday in Massachusetts state court. Mejia accused accused Hendricks of illegally interfering with its relationship with the pitcher. Mejia's company said it had spent several hundreds of thousands of dollars on Chapman's behalf. Randy Hendricks confirmed there are offers on the table for Chapman but did not disclose details, according to KRIV-TV.

Chapman, whose fastball was clocked at 102 mph at the World Baseball Classic this year, defected from the Cuban national team in July during a tournament in the Netherlands. Jorge Arangure Jr. writes for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

Unless that scout was armed with a check for about $20M, the Reds are going JUST to watch... My guess is that he winds up an Angel.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Unless that scout was armed with a check for about $20M, the Reds are going JUST to watch... My guess is that he winds up an Angel.
    I'm guessing Red Sox or Yankees.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I'm guessing Red Sox or Yankees.
    If the Yankees want him, they'll get him.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If the Yankees want him, they'll get him.
    Exactly just how many starting pitchers do they need?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I thought he left Cuba to get away from the Reds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought he left Cuba to get away from the Reds?
    *rim shot*

The Reds know it doesn't cost anything to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Reds scout said:

Ayup. He's a pitcher.

Said scout was dissapointed to find out upon arriving that Chapan's left arm was in fact still attached, and went home knowing he had no chance at signing the pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Another reason why the amateur draft needs to include players from foreign countries.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Exactly just how many starting pitchers do they need?
    You can never have enough starting pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Another reason why the amateur draft needs to include players from foreign countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You can never have enough starting pitching
    Agreed.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I agree. I don't know just how it could or should be implemented but I'd like the idea of players from foreign countries being included in the amateur draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I agree. I don't know just how it could or should be implemented but I'd like the idea of players from foreign countries being included in the amateur draft.
    This sure would be an interesting draft. On one hand you have a 22 year old lefty pitcher with stuff but largely unknown. On the other hand you have Bryce Harper who many project to be the top overall pick in the 10 draft.

Chapman is young so he would likely be chosen early, but it would be very interesting to see a 25 year old Cuban defector or a 25 year old Dice K. How would a team value that player as opposed to a young prospect.

Turn Off Ads?